10/4 Veendam Cancelled

billfromtulsa

Just got an email from HAL. October 4 cruise is cancelled. 100% refund and 100% credit for future bookings. Now I wonder if we are going on the 11th....

Sad for you,

Any cruise that gets cancelled is very sad....

If mine were to be cancelled I would be kinda devastated :mad:

I'm disappointed for you.

Refund 100% I get but am not sure what 100% credit for future bookings means. Book any other 7 day cruise for free? That would be nice.

I believe it means we get a credit equak to what we paid for the cruise toward another cruise.

I'll put blame on both feet here. It would be really nice if HAL would say "We're doing our best but we need to do more investigating to know when the ship will be ready" and customers would accept that and go with the flow. Misinformation doesn't help but neither does demanding an answer when none is possible.

Also, I'm wondering how many supplies loaded last weekend will need to be discarded, or perhaps go to a Quebec food bank.

Roy

The Maasdam is in Quebec city tomorrow, I wonder if they will pick up some crew members or change the crew completely with the Veendam ??

Are those staff member compensated for the lost tips and all ..? Most of them are struggling to provide for their families..

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

No Work, No Pay is a commonly accepted employment principle.

I'll put blame on both feet here. It would be really nice if HAL would say "We're doing our best but we need to do more investigating to know when the ship will be ready" and customers would accept that and go with the flow. Misinformation doesn't help but neither does demanding an answer when none is possible.

Also, I'm wondering how many supplies loaded last weekend will need to be discarded, or perhaps go to a Quebec food bank.

Roy

I certainly didn't "demand" an answer. I asked the question and took what they gave me as the truth. No more, no less.

:confused: Why would Maasdam pick up Veendam crew? Unless Veendam is to be out of service for a lengthy time, they will be needed. Lots of heavy cleaning can be done. Lots of maintenance etc. :)

I was just thinking out loud...

14 days in port is long for crews that are used to do chores in a fast and efficient way....thats almost as long as a dry dock refurbishing operation...

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Here's something a little more official than "I called HAL and the guy/girl I spoke to told me..." although it was pretty much already established here that 10/4 was cancelled, here's an announcement about it in industry media

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/hal-cancels-a-second-veendam-cruise-for-propeller-repairs.html

I'm sure Host Walt can rearrange or merge things if needed, but there was a lot of talk about 10/4 being cancelled under the topic name of 9/29 cancelled. Some people may not have known about the 10/4 news based on that topic name.

Here's something that just appeared in industry media:

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/hal-cancels-a-second-veendam-cruise-for-propeller-repairs.html

Edited by InTheWASide

And on the HAL website, although far from obvious...

Oct. 2, 2014 — As work has progressed on the propeller of ms Veendam, it has been identified that more time will be needed to make the necessary repairs. As such, Holland America Line regrettably must cancel the Oct. 4 seven-day Canada & New England sailing of ms Veendam from Boston to Quebec.

Guests with questions may call 1-877-425-2231 or 1-206-626-7398 for more information.

We are extremely sorry that our guests’ cruise vacations have been affected in this way and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Booked guests will receive a full refund of their cruise fare plus a future cruise credit of 100 percent of their cruise fare paid. In addition, we will reimburse any non-refundable expenses such as missed tours and excursions that were purchased through Holland America Line.

Holland America Line is working closely with all guests scheduled to sail on this voyage and their travel agents to assist with necessary changes. The ship is currently docked alongside in Quebec where repair work continues. All services and safety systems on the ship are fully operational.

At Holland America Line, the safety and well-being of our guests and crew is our top priority.

Just got an email from HAL. October 4 cruise is cancelled. 100% refund and 100% credit for future bookings. Now I wonder if we are going on the 11th....

Disappointed but not surprised. Plan B - we're heading to Boston anyhow!. Brain hurts from rescheduling air (we booked our own) and repacking. Lemons/lemonade and all that. Think HAL has been generous with us but would have liked a little more info all along but glad we had this post to get some real info. Thanks to everyone - Now where to book that next cruise????

Disappointed but not surprised. Plan B - we're heading to Boston anyhow!. Brain hurts from rescheduling air (we booked our own) and repacking. Lemons/lemonade and all that. Think HAL has been generous with us but would have liked a little more info all along but glad we had this post to get some real info. Thanks to everyone - Now where to book that next cruise????

Travel safely and enjoy your stay in Boston. :)

I'm sure Host Walt can rearrange or merge things if needed, but there was a lot of talk about 10/4 being cancelled under the topic name of 9/29 cancelled. Some people may not have known about the 10/4 news based on that topic name.

Here's something that just appeared in industry media:

Many (most) of the posts on the 9/29 thread have been moved over to this thread.