Future of the R-Class ships (Journey and Quest)

baytraller

More new small ships - but not for Azamara

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11664.html

There has also been several developments with the R-Class ships

These are eight nearly identical ships previously owned by Renaissance - named R1 to R8

They were dispersed when Renaissance when out of business

There current owners are

Norwegian Cruise Lines - Oceania - R1 Insignia , R2 Regatta and R5 Nautica

Carnival - P&O Cruises - R8 Adonia

Carnival - P&O Princess Cruises - R3 Pacific Princess and R4 Ocean Princess

Royal Caribbean Cruises - Azamara Club Cruises - R6 Journey and R7 Quest

The three Oceania ship have recently been refurbished

NCL recently purchased Oceania and Regent

Princess Cruise - Ocean Princess is now for sale

Princess Cruises will add two 1260 capacity ships

Previously under another Carnival brand Holland America - HAL

Princess considered these two ships (Ryndam and Statendam) to be a better option

What does this say for the future of Adonia and Pacific Princess

If Azamara is now doing so well with the Journey and Quest

Then the addition of the Ocean Princess could be a good option

With Azamara now concentrating on charters, this would replace lost capacity

But this would seems unlikely - Azamara with reduced capacity for guests

Has significantly increased prices for 2015

Almost every other quality Cruise line is refurbishing or adding new ships

With Viking Ocean first cruise now only six months away

Lets hope the new owner of the Ocean Princess see a bright future for the R-Class ships

If you like small ships check out the Europa2. However it is not cheap, over 1000$ day. That's what it costs to make a profit with a small ship that provides 5+ cruise and is new. If Azamara charged that would you still go on it?

Sent from my XT1032 using Forums mobile app

With LP announcing recently that Azamara had finally broken into profit with the two ships, it will be interesting to see if RCCL can stay the course and hang on to them.

Modern cruise economics seems to be dictating that everyone move in the direction of larger ships with a much greater capacity. The R class seems to be a hangover from the past, occupying a niche sector. I hope Azamara can continue to tweak the product to make it work, they are up against some serious competition in the high to premium cruise sector.

I would expect some thought given soon to investment to keep the Quest and Journey in the game. The crew do an exceptional job of maintaining standards, but it must be getting very difficult with older ships such as these two.

I would expect some thought given soon to investment to keep the Quest and Journey in the game. The crew do an exceptional job of maintaining standards, but it must be getting very difficult with older ships such as these two.
Seems to me the ships are scheduled for drydocks in late 2015 and early 2016--three years after the last drydocks.

The link below will show cruise ship dry dock and refurbishment schedule

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=521

The issue of new ships for Azamara was started by CEO Larry Pimentel

Saying he did not join Azamara to be the CEO of a two ship cruise line

This is what the description of the drydock says about the Quest (pretty much the same for Journey, just different date):

Azamara Quest will go into drydock in September 2015 and come out in October with a number of updates. Several areas will receive new furniture, including Looking Glass, the Pool Grill and Sunset Bar. Prime C, Aqualina, the Library and Windows Cafe will also all receive improvements. All cabins and suites will have new carpets and curtains; the cabins will also have new sofas and new larger coffee tables.

I can't say about Quest but on the Journey on September 12th the boxes arrived with new deck furniture and the crew spent the next day setting everything up. On the Sunset Bar, no plans to change the tables and chairs but new umbrellas were installed. Also, the cabins got new coffee tables. I have photos of both in my last trip report.

This is what the description of the drydock says about the Quest (pretty much the same for Journey, just different date):

Azamara Quest will go into drydock in September 2015 and come out in October with a number of updates. Several areas will receive new furniture, including Looking Glass, the Pool Grill and Sunset Bar. Prime C, Aqualina, the Library and Windows Cafe will also all receive improvements. All cabins and suites will have new carpets and curtains; the cabins will also have new sofas and new larger coffee tables.

I can't say about Quest but on the Journey on September 12th the boxes arrived with new deck furniture and the crew spent the next day setting everything up. On the Sunset Bar, no plans to change the tables and chairs but new umbrellas were installed. Also, the cabins got new coffee tables. I have photos of both in my last trip report.

i wonder if the coffee table was in a 175 cabin or in the club suite too. the coffee table is better on Quest than Journey as it can not be raised more to eat in cabin. .was hard to enjoy breakfst adn a couple lunches. but the pool grill did get furniture all ready right. now we wait fpr ne carpets and drapes.

Nothing about giving the piano player, aka Max, a suitable venue? No plans to kill the Sunset bar- poor decision IMHO. What about the grossly oversized tables on the verandas? These belong over the side- way too big for the space and look out of place.

Nothing about giving the piano player, aka Max, a suitable venue? No plans to kill the Sunset bar- poor decision IMHO. What about the grossly oversized tables on the verandas? These belong over the side- way too big for the space and look out of place.
It's becoming clear everything Azamara does is a "poor decision" in your opinion. That makes me wonder why you still bother to frequent the Azamara forum as you so obviously are antagonistic to the cruise line.

By the way, I think the veranda tables are just fine. People can sit comfortably at them and enjoy a meal at normal dining height, something the veranda tables on few cruise lines permit...and something my wife and I very much enjoy. However, I suppose if one's raison d'etre is to find fault...

Yes the veranda tables are large. But the veranda only has to have space for 2 people, and the table is the right height, and a good size, for eating a meal. We enjoy a room service breakfast on the veranda.