Carrying On All Luggage?

HollandAvery

Okay, so our last cruise there was a little mishap with my boyfriends suitcase...it didn't arrive to our room until the next day and he was pretty upset. Now he is refusing to check in his huge suitcase (although not too huge, Carnival said it was allowed, I swear!) with a porter and I'm wondering is he even allowed to bring that big thing on the ship with his other carry-on bag? If he doesn't check his suitcase I'll probably just stack my little one on top of his...but are we allowed to bring this much on the ship as a carry on?

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but on our last cruise we didn't see anyone dragging around suitcases, so I wasn't sure.

I don't really want to lug around luggage until our room is ready but if he wants to do it whatever...as long as I don't have to carry anything, hehe:D:p

When we sailed out of Miami, someone was standing at the door telling everyone with larger than carry-on luggage to go check them. I guess it's a particular problem there, because I've never seen that done anywhere else.

As the above poster said, it must fit through the scanners, which are the same size that you go through in security at the airport. Don't think a full size suitcase will make it through.

In Long Beach I carried on all my luggage without incident after I was late. Will carry on all luggage from now on as it all fits through the scanners at Long Beach and the staff didn't mind one bit.

It only has to fit through the scanners. Some ports in some cases have been jerks about not letting people carry on suitcases longer than 24", but that's unusual. And 24" suitcases are too big for airplane carryons. I prefer keeping everything with me if it's not too big of a deal.

I have carried on everything before. On one cruise, I had two 24" suitcases that I carried on. No "lugging" involved. 2 fingers of each hand quite easily rolled the suitcases on board. Find a spot on lido deck, and take turns getting food. When you're done eating, just kick back & relax until the rooms are ready. Wait until then to do your ship exploration. No reason to be walking 3 miles all over the whole ship with the carryons when you can do all of that walking later. This is why you don't see people dragging around suitcases, because those that do carry them on are sitting & relaxing. Plus, there are plenty of people that won't want to bother with anything bigger than a backpack.

When we sailed out of Miami, someone was standing at the door telling everyone with larger than carry-on luggage to go check them. I guess it's a particular problem there, because I've never seen that done anywhere else.

As the above poster said, it must fit through the scanners, which are the same size that you go through in security at the airport. Don't think a full size suitcase will make it through.

Easier to carry on the larger cases onboard after the cabins open just after 1.

FYI. Probably similar rules for other ports as well.

For security purposes, Carnival limits the size of hand-carry luggage to 11"X 17" which is the dimension of the opening of the X-ray security machine (similar to those at the airport); there is no measurement for length as the hand-carry luggage will lay flat on the conveyer belt. Luggage larger than 11"X 17" will not be permitted through the security machine and must be checked-in with a curbside porter.

http://www.galvestoncruises.com/what-to-know/10/faq

Edited by Rudyard

Why not mix your clothes half of his stuff in your suit case and visa versa, then check them. Use a small carry on for your personal stuff. That way at least if one bag is a day late you will both have enough to get by.

Wife and I always pack 1/2 and 1/2 in each suitcase that way if one gets lost or misplaced we still have clothes to wear :D

We always do self-assist and carry on/off our luggage. 1 suitcase was damaged during our first cruise (unrepairable), and it was new :(. Carnival gave us almost enough to replace it.

We have had no difficulty doing this until we sailed out of NY, and they were absolutely insistant that we check them. Again, we encountered damage but this time to both suitcases. Carnival stated it was a port issue (conveyor belts), not their baggage handlers, so no compensation.

New York was the only port that insisted we surrender our luggage to porters. We have sailed from Fort Lauderdale, Baltimore, Miami and Long Beach with no issues.

I love having control of my luggage, and knowing that I won't have to wait for it to be delivered. On our last cruise to Hawaii from Long Beach, we were unpacked and having lunch by 1:30pm, as we were one of the first to board. Our tablemates were not so luck, and they didn't see their luggage until after dinner.

There are many threads about packing light. In a way men have it easier.

Choose what size you want and only pack into that. Plan on doing a load of laundry.

Two pair slacks

Up to 7 shirts, including CE night

Wear the same to both

Pair shorts

Swim trunks

Three shoes-- sandals, water and a pair of walking that can be worn also for CE night. Heaviest worn on plane.

Edited by SadieN

If you are not flying he could carry multiple carry ons, maximum size allowed, suitcases. I have never heard of a limit on those. It may be a pain but he will be able to take everything with him. If he does decide to check his luggage wrap the paper luggage tag in clear packing tape. That would be hard to tear off and will protect the print from the rain which could lead to misplacing his luggage.

Edited by 9876

The scanners will take the 26" suitcases. I have put my 26" inches suitcases through the scanners several times. 24" or 26" is the length of the checked luggages. Even something longer could go through. Length does not matter and should not be an issue. It is the width of the suitcase that would be a concern and most 24" or 26" are only about 4 inches wider than carry ons so the width of the scanners is plenty wide.

One time, they tried to tell me it was not allowed. Why? Because they don't want to lift heavy luggage. I told them my DH would put it on the belt and take it off so then there was no issue. The passengers usually put their own stuff on the belts anyways ..duh!

It's one way to make sure all alcohol is in your carry on.

:) Good one! It seems like everyday someone is talking about sneaking alcohol onto the ship through their checked baggage. My biggest problem is if it ruptures it may soak pure innocent peoples clothing. Someone that drinks as much as some of these people wouldn't mind their own clothes stinking like beer the whole cruise. I will get slammed for this but it wouldn't upset me none if instead of going to the naughty room for alcohol found in your checked baggage they took you off the ship and left you at the port.

:) Good one! It seems like everyday someone is talking about sneaking alcohol onto the ship through their checked baggage. My biggest problem is if it ruptures it may soak pure innocent peoples clothing. Someone that drinks as much as some of these people wouldn't mind their own clothes stinking like beer the whole cruise. I will get slammed for this but it wouldn't upset me none if instead of going to the naughty room for alcohol found in your checked baggage they took you off the ship and left you at the port.

The beer smelling clothes the whole cruise??? Last I checked each ship had laundry services and facilities. [emoji4]