Jet Blue cancelled my flight!

cocoabeana

I realize the OP has now rebooked with another airline, but I wondered, since s/he was cruising out of Miami, if flights out of Miami could have been considered, rather than FLL?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on the Allure and will be in Ft. Lauderdale, flying out of Ft. Lauderdale.

I realize the OP has now rebooked with another airline, but I wondered, since s/he was cruising out of Miami, if flights out of Miami could have been considered, rather than FLL?

OP wanted to fly FLL-PVD. JetBlue does not fly from MIA, so it was never a possibility. They only have one flight a day FLL-PVD and it's at 8:55 a.m.

Edited by 6rugrats

Let me use an easier to understand example of how the Itinerary Change section of a GOOD insurance policy works.

Passenger books Saturday flight for $400 on Southwest to FLL for a Saturday cruise.

Southwest cancels Saturday flights. Southwest offers a Friday flight, passenger says no and Southwest refunds $400.

Passenger buys a new plane ticket from Delta for $600 for a Saturday flight.

Passenger's additional cost is $200.

The $200 would be an insured loss under the Itinerary Change section of the policy.

I agree it would be covered if it happened at the last minute. This is happening in advance, however, so I don't see that it would be covered by most insurance.

I agree it would be covered if it happened at the last minute. This is happening in advance, however, so I don't see that it would be covered by most insurance.

It wouldn't be. As already stated, if OP received a full refund, they had no loss.

I'm still waiting for the poster who says they purchase such policies to come back and let us know what policy has this coverage.

It wouldn't be. As already stated, if OP received a full refund, they had no loss.

I'm still waiting for the poster who says they purchase such policies to come back and let us know what policy has this coverage.

I gave you the two sights to check for such coverage (though you are right about it being toooo far before sailing).

Those sites are Insuremytrip and Theinsurancestore, I would recommend speaking with them directly as they know the ins and outs of various policies better than you trying to figure it out by yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nana541

I gave you the two sights [sic] to check for such coverage (though you are right about it being toooo far before sailing).

Those sites are Insuremytrip and Theinsurancestore, I would recommend speaking with them directly as they know the ins and outs of various policies better than you trying to figure it out by yourself.

This is not helpful; who has time to wade through these sites? Additionally, this doesn't answer the question. A PP said there is a policy which would cover an increase in airfare if a flight is canceled, the original ticket is refunded, and one has to buy a new ticket at a greater price. This poster was asked to provide the name of this insurance company; he or she has not done so, probably because it doesn't exist.

This is not helpful; who has time to wade through these sites? Additionally, this doesn't answer the question. A PP said there is a policy which would cover an increase in airfare if a flight is canceled, the original ticket is refunded, and one has to buy a new ticket at a greater price. This poster was asked to provide the name of this insurance company; he or she has not done so, probably because it doesn't exist.

Good grief, the point is if you need a policy with special conditions you do NOT need to wade thru anything! That's the beauty of these two companies, they have really knowledgable employees that can help you find the policy that is right for you....

Or is your purpose simply to argue and cause issues where none are needed? This is a site for cruisers who offer valuable advise and information. Exactly what I am offering you.

I have no interest in continuing to offer you information I deemed valuable and informative for other CC posters, when for some reason you want to be argumentative. JMHO

Take a look at Global Alert's top plan, or MH Ross's top plan; I think it is called Advantage Platinum, Change of Itinerary section.

From MH Ross:

Itinerary Change

In the event a cruise/tour supplier makes a change in Your

Covered Trip itinerary which prevents You from participating

in an event/activity prepaid prior to departure and scheduled

on Your Covered Trip itinerary, Your non-refundable prepaid

event/activity expenses will be payable up to $250.

Benefits will not be paid if the event/activity is rescheduled

during the course of Your Covered Trip.

Verification by the cruise/tour supplier of the change in the scheduled

Covered Trip itinerary will be necessary for claim payment

I am not seeing where they are going to pay the difference between the fare for the cancelled flight, and the cost of the new one.

I gave you the two sights to check for such coverage (though you are right about it being toooo far before sailing).

Thank you, but I am pretty familiar with insurance; I don't need the information myself. I just have never seen a policy that would pay what the other poster was describing and wondered if he/she would come back and give an example. I didn't want to spend time looking for something I don't need, was just curious.

Edited by 6rugrats

Good grief, the point is if you need a policy with special conditions you do NOT need to wade thru [sic] anything! That's the beauty of these two companies, they have really knowledgable [sic] employees that can help you find the policy that is right for you....

Or is your purpose simply to argue and cause issues where none are needed? This is a site for cruisers who offer valuable advise and information. Exactly what I am offering you.

I have no interest in continuing to offer you information I deemed valuable and informative for other CC posters, when for some reason you want to be argumentative. JMHO

Good grief! :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why asking the poster (not you, by the way; why are you answering for this person?), who mentioned this mythical policy for the name of the policy is arguing and causing issues? I do not need this information for myself, so why would I waste my time and an agent's time with an inquiry?

Enough said. This policy doesn't exist.

The policy does exist, read the words carefully that were cut and pasted above.

"In the event a cruise/tour supplier (JET BLUE) makes a change in Your

Covered Trip itinerary (CANCELS THE FLIGHT, IN MY EXAMPLE) which prevents You from participating in an event/activity prepaid prior to departure (YOU WOULD MISS YOUR CRUISE IF YOU DIDN'T REBOOK) and scheduled

event/activity expenses will be payable up to $250."

Based on this - I would make a claim. Whether it would be paid or not would be between the insurer and me, but I believe I have a reasonable basis to make a claim for an insurable expense. Also - I have found with expensive policies (not your standard 4% of the cruise, these cost 10% or more), insurers bend over backwards to keep the insured happy on small claims.

The nastiness on this thread is really incredible. We are trying to exchange information to help people. Perhaps if you can't see this, Cruise Critic is not for you.

The policy does exist, read the words carefully that were cut and pasted above.

"In the event a cruise/tour supplier (JET BLUE) makes a change in Your

Covered Trip itinerary (CANCELS THE FLIGHT, IN MY EXAMPLE) which prevents You from participating in an event/activity prepaid prior to departure (YOU WOULD MISS YOUR CRUISE IF YOU DIDN'T REBOOK) and scheduled

event/activity expenses will be payable up to $250."

Based on this - I would make a claim. Whether it would be paid or not would be between the insurer and me, but I believe I have a reasonable basis to make a claim for an insurable expense. Also - I have found with expensive policies (not your standard 4% of the cruise, these cost 10% or more), insurers bend over backwards to keep the insured happy on small claims.

The nastiness on this thread is really incredible. We are trying to exchange information to help people. Perhaps if you can't see this, Cruise Critic is not for you.

Nobody is being nasty. You are trying to make a case where there is no basis.

JetBlue is neither a cruise or tour supplier. They are an airline, plain and simple. And unless the flight was booked BY the cruiseline, there is NO basis for a claim under the itinerary change, cruise/tour provision.

In addition, amongst all the fine print in about 95% of policies is the proviso that you MUST make an attempt to get to the cruise or you have no claim for cancellation, trip interruption or any other portion of your policy other than maybe lost luggage. So again, your argument about re-booking is void.

IF this happened at the last minute, you missed your flight for a valid, covered reason or the flight was actually cancelled so you would miss the cruise, AND you had to pay for a high dollar walk up ticket, the insurance company may very well reimburse you the difference between the price of the ORIGINAL ticket and what the high dollar last minute walk up ticket cost. Even a delay which would make you miss the cruise may not be covered as policies now require the delay to be a MINIMUM of 4 hours, most 6 hours.

BUT that is NOT the case here. Flight was cancelled WELL in advance of the cruise and OP has been refunded the fare. There is NO basis for a claim for anything.

PS: I am a non practicing transportation attorney that deals with the airlines and trucks and insurance issues having to do with transportation, freight claims and delay claims almost every working day. I would be very hard pressed to even write a letter in defense of a claim for this issue.

Edited by greatam

Nobody is being nasty. You are trying to make a case where there is no basis.

JetBlue is neither a cruise or tour supplier. They are an airline, plain and simple. And unless the flight was booked BY the cruiseline, there is NO basis for a claim under the itinerary change, cruise/tour provision.

BUT that is NOT the case here. Flight was cancelled WELL in advance of the cruise and OP has been refunded the fare. There is NO basis for a claim for anything.

PS: I am a non practicing transportation attorney that deals with the airlines and trucks and insurance issues having to do with transportation, freight claims and delay claims almost every working day. I would be very hard pressed to even write a letter in defense of a claim for this issue.

Thank you for that well written explanation. I also see no nastiness here. I was just curious about the existence of such a policy, as I've never seen one that would cover this particular scenario. And, I agree that the policy provided doesn't cover OP's particular circumstance.

Anyone is free to file any claim they please. It just won't be paid if it's not covered.

Edited by 6rugrats

I respectfully disagree with you. The passenger bought a trip, then insured it to cover unexpected costs not caused by the passenger. I think that's exactly why you buy insurance, and I think the Change of Itinerary section would kick in, whether the change of itinerary occurs months in advance or hours. The passenger is obligated to mitigate his damages, as you say, and would do that by buying a new ticket, albeit more expensive. Further, if I spent a few thousand on insurance, I see no reason not to file a claim in a case like this. The worst that could happen is it is denied. I understand that you don't think there is an insurable claim, and that's fine, but I hope you would agree that there is no harm in putting the question to the insurance company.

Does not cost a thing to ask, but I'll bet the changed flight might have needed to be booked by the "Insurance CS" one of the requirements for most policies I've had was as soon as Trouble Happens you need to call them for assistance and they normally would handle it.

Does not cost a thing to ask, but I'll bet the changed flight might have needed to be booked by the "Insurance CS" one of the requirements for most policies I've had was as soon as Trouble Happens you need to call them for assistance and they normally would handle it.

Confusing.

1. OP never said they had a travel insurance policy

2. They were notified well in advance of this cancellation, and the airline fulfilled their obligation to OP. They offered the only available flight as an option or the OP could receive a refund and rebook on another airline.

3. OP rebooked on Southwest

There was no "trouble" while OP was on a cruise or midflight. Airlines cancel routings all the time. OP was just unfortunate this happened for their flight, but they solved the problem by taking the refund from JetBlue and rebooking on Southwest.

Not sure what else there is to say about this.

Edited by 6rugrats

Ok of course you are right! IF the OP had travel insurance and IF he wanted to try to claim a loss THEN he would have nothing to lose by trying.

No confusion there, is there? Does everything need to be a "Challenge"?

This is after all suppose to be a helpful forum where a variety of cruisers can learn and even learn from other travelers travel issues.

Travel Insurance is a very confusing subject and many (myself included) can always learn something new!

Ok of course you are right! IF the OP had travel insurance and IF he wanted to try to claim a loss THEN he would have nothing to lose by trying.

No confusion there, is there? Does everything need to be a "Challenge"?

This is after all suppose to be a helpful forum where a variety of cruisers can learn and even learn from other travelers travel issues.

Travel Insurance is a very confusing subject and many (myself included) can always learn something new!

Oh, but there is so much love on this forum (yeah right!):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=44279294&postcount=17

I think everyone agrees....maybe more a matter of there being dozens of policies available among insurance carriers. People sometimes post "If xxx happens does trip insurance cover it?" No different than "My windshield got cracked by road debris, am I covered?" It all depends on the individual policy.

Another good resource is Tripinsurancestore (dot) com If you have questions beyond the online FAQs, you can call and get very personalized service and answers.

Go to "insuremytrip" or "theinsurancestore" both websites deal with that issue and many others important to travelers and cruisers. They have really knowledgable and helpful agents. And no I don't work for either or sell insurance.

Another place to look for additional info is the Travel Insurance boards on Cruise Critic (think its under Cruise Discussion Topics) I'll go look and edit this post. Really great and informative info on that board.

Which is exactly what I recommended in post 25.... And then I got flamed, just gotta to wonder ;)