First time NCL cruiser with lots of questions

pugsammy

Hi all.....Frequent RC and Carnival cruiser here now ready to make a change. Just booked the Epic for late November and a gty balcony cabin.

1. Can you buy a wine package on board? Any idea of the cost?

2. This is my first time booking a gty class cabin. What's the worst I can get? (how obstructive is the "obstructed view"?

3. Any success with "rum runners"? :eek:

4. I saw the "ultimate dining" package for $119. For those that have purchased it....did you think it was worth it? How is the food in the main dining room? Comparable to RC and Carnival?

5. Is there a laundry room on each floor to press our clothes...or do you have to send them out?

6. Did you find the ship to big?? Is it easy to navigate? Are there long waits for the restaurants if you don't have reservations?

7. Does DH need to wear a jacket to eat at the Steakhouse?

Any answers to above will be truly appreciated.....Thank you and I'm so looking forward to our cruise on the Epic!!!!

Edited by pugsammy

See answers below:

Hi all.....Frequent RC and Carnival cruiser here now ready to make a change. Just booked the Epic for late November and a gty balcony cabin.

1. Can you buy a wine package on board? YES Any idea of the cost? There are different levels, do a search for Viva Vino

2. This is my first time booking a gty class cabin. What's the worst I can get? (how obstructive is the "obstructed view"? Some could be very obstructed by lifeboat etc- impossible to say really

3. Any success with "rum runners"? :eek: no clue, never tried them

4. I saw the "ultimate dining" package for $119. For those that have purchased it....did you think it was worth it? How is the food in the main dining room? Comparable to RC and Carnival? I think it's worth it, used it on my last 2 cruise. If you plan to eat at specialties every night then its a good deal

5. Is there a laundry room on each floor to press our clothes...or do you have to send them out? No self serve laundry, ask room steward for iron

6. Did you find the ship to big?? There are paper "maps" and signage all over ship Is it easy to navigate? Are there long waits for the restaurants if you don't have reservations? Depends on time of day, time of year and restaurant

7. Does DH need to wear a jacket to eat at the Steakhouse? Nope, no jacket required anywhere on ship... it's Freestyle

Any answers to above will be truly appreciated.....Thank you and I'm so looking forward to our cruise on the Epic!!!!

"This is my first time booking a gty class cabin. What's the worst I can get?"

In addition to getting the worst cabin your guaranty category, you might also get a "higher" category cabin. Theoretically, this is "better", however, there are some "better" cabins that YOU might find less desirable -- right above the dance bar, next door to a busy elevator or children's area, etc. Guarantee cabins are great if you're aware of what you MIGHT get and find that acceptable.

2. This is my first time booking a gty class cabin. What's the worst I can get? (how obstructive is the "obstructed view"?

Our GTY balcony cabin didn't have an obstructed view at all, but it was a "hull" balcony, on the port side of deck 10.

hull-balcony.jpg

We were forward of the lifeboats. The view directly down into the water from decks above deck 7 can be obscured by the lifeboats if you are not forward or aft of them. We could lean out and see the water fine.

5. Is there a laundry room on each floor to press our clothes...or do you have to send them out?

No laundry room at all. You can ask for an iron and ironing board, and the steward will bring one if one is available. Or you can send the clothes out to be pressed. Not much of a need to do so with Freestyle dining.

6. Did you find the ship to big?? Is it easy to navigate? Are there long waits for the restaurants if you don't have reservations?

For the size of the boat, and the number of passengers, we were surprised at the speed and efficiency of the boarding and disembarkation process. We never felt the boat was crowded. Most of the restaurants had available times, you just had to have some flexibility in dining times. In the main (free) dining rooms we never had more than a five minute wait to be seated, just my wife and I, at a table.

You do not need a jacket for Cagney's, the highly over-rated steakhouse on NCL ships. At $30 per person, I can no longer recommend Cagney's as the food is really not stellar. We tried Cagney's one more time on the Sun just last night, and it was definitely not up to par; we had long waits, staff that was rushed and almost frenetic, cold sides that had obviously been sitting for a long, long time (it takes quite a while for a baked potato to get to simply warm, where it takes some work to make butter melt in it). The food was horribly presented, with the baked potato and green beans served in small pots that are designed to make plating the food faster. The steaks are about the quality you would get at a Longhorn's or Outback Steakhouse, and at $30 each, definitely not worth it. We were impressed with Moderno, a Brazilian style steakhouse where they serve small portions of several different meats continuously.

Cagney's on the Epic last December didn't suffer from cold side dishes, and the service was much better; the ambiance was much better than the Sun's version as well. So to be fair, you might have the experience we had on the Epic in Cagney's: mass market style steaks (probably choice, certainly not prime beef) for a price greater than what you can get on shore from Outback or it's cousins, but close to worth it as an alternative to the noisy, crowded main dining rooms. But if you're looking for steaks on a level with Landry's or Ruth's Chris', you will be very disappointed.

If you are on the November 30th sailing, we are on the same one. I dont think I have seen you on the roll call board yet.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1757960

We thought that the UDP was well worth the $119. We never ate in the MDR :) We ate in Cagney's three times, Le Bistro once, La Cucina once and Moderno once. We also ate at the sushi bar and too advantage of the discount (20%, I think).

We thought Cagney's on the Epic was excellent and wished that we had skipped Le Bistro and La Cucina and gone back to Cagney's instead, and we enjoyed Moderno as well.

4. I saw the "ultimate dining" package for $119. For those that have purchased it....did you think it was worth it? How is the food in the main dining room? Comparable to RC and Carnival?

Hi,

Most questions have already been answered.

Remember that some are OPINIONS.

There is a wine package.

You can bring one bottle each.

You have to pay corkage if you take it to the dining room.

I have not been on the Epic - yet.

I know some crew members and they are awesome.

I have never seen an obstructed view balcony.

The lowest level balcony is like the one pictured in the other post.

Most balconies are bigger.

I think the Ultimate Dining is worth it.

I also think the food in the MD is very good most of the time.

I have never found it noisy & crowded.

Our waiters are almost always excellent.

There are always a few exceptions.

You will not have the same waiters.

We happen to love Le Bistro and La Cuchina.

I think the steaks are as good or better than Cagneys.

We usually dine in Cagneys and the Japanese restaurant also.

No self laundry - ask steward for an iron.

You can NOT bring your own.

Big ships are usually deceptive.

You usually don’t realize how big it is.

Like you were told before - no jackets required anywhere.

On NCL “Dress up or not” it is nice to at least wear nice pants & a nice sport shirt.

Skirt or nice pants with a pretty top will be considered “dress up” by many.

My husband wears slacks and a dress shirt (no tie) for many dinners, including “Dress up or not” night.

I usually wear nice slacks and a nice top.

Debarkation night is VERY casual because they can never be sure that everyone has received their luggage by the time they “dine”.

We have always gotten into our cabin by (or before) 2 PM and we usually get our luggage before the safety drill or soon after.

Hope this helps.

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy

You can bring one bottle each.

You have to pay corkage if you take it to the dining room.

This is 100% incorrect.

You can bring on as many bottles as you wish. There is no charge to take them to the dining room. The charge is to bring them on the ship irregardless of where you open or drink them.

$15/750ml $30/1.5L

This is 100% incorrect.

You can bring on as many bottles as you wish. There is no charge to take them to the dining room. The charge is to bring them on the ship irregardless of where you open or drink them.

$15/750ml $30/1.5L

Hmmmm........

Last few times (March, 2014 was last time) we sailed NCL, we were not charged to bring the wine on board.

We had it in our carry on and it went right through.

We did NOT try to hide it.

Maybe we were just lucky.

We had planned on paying the corkage.

Judy

Hmmmm........

Last few times (March, 2014 was last time) we sailed NCL, we were not charged to bring the wine on board.

We had it in our carry on and it went right through.

We did NOT try to hide it.

Maybe we were just lucky.

We had planned on paying the corkage.

Judy

Just lucky - you can bring as much wine as you want, $15 each.

Thank you again! I did purchase the Unlimited dining. I have also made dinner and show reservations at all the specialty restaurants (which could change based on our opinions of the first few we try) ;) ....So all is good!!! thanks again!

Of course - it is very reasonable as NCL doesn't carry really expensive wines.

Lifeboats.

3. Any success with "rum runners"? :eek:

Never used these. Can't think of why I would as cocktails are inexpensive on NCL.

Package is 100% worth it. MDR food is fine - but not as great as specialty restaurants, which we prefer as they are not very crowded. One thing that is different is that lobster night is in the buffet on this ship instead of the MDR.

I don't do ironing or laundry on vacation and only pack wrinkle free. I can't imagine any situation in which I would even consider pressing clothes on vacation. Remember this is a very casual "Freestyle" cruise where there is no need to dress up. I bring resort casual stuff for the whole cruise and so does my husband, hence no need to do any ironing.

No it was not too big. It was easy to navigate. Very few restaurants have long waits. If one is busy, just go to another.

No. Wear resort casual wear - slacks and a golf shirt for him, sundress for you. That is all that is needed. Pack light. No worries. This is a totally relaxed, hassle free cruise. I have done NCL cruises of 7 days out of 1 roll aboard because you just don't need a ton of clothes for these cruises. So pack light and then take about 1/3 of what you packed out because you won't wind up needing it anyway.

This is a great ship! Bon voyage!

Oh my, :)

I so love to cruise and I do love :p the company of most of the people we meet on the ships.

Some of my dearest friends live in other parts of the US, in Canada, in Australia, and in England.

I met them all on a cruise.

I have been on CC for many years.

I really hope this subject is dropped.

There is no such thing as a bad cruise. :D

Everyone who has one or more cruises booked should be singing the “Happy” song. :)

I know I am.

I feel blessed to be able to afford to cruise.

I think most everyone on this thread feels the same way.

So, I say, now on to happy things.

NCL is an awesome cruise line.

I love their policy of “Dress Up or Not”.

Their officers and crew are the best - in my opinion.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thursday followed by a great week end.

Judy

I so love to cruise and I do love :p the company of most of the people we meet on the ships.

Some of my dearest friends live in other parts of the US, in Canada, in Australia, and in England.

Everyone who has one or more cruises booked should be singing the “Happy” song. :)

I know I am.

Judy

Yay Judy!!!! 51 days and counting

Edited by FootballParent

I know I am.

Judy

I don't know you Judy but I love your post. :) I have to admit I wasn't strong enough to put the popcorn down and stop reading... :p. Completely agree...nothing better than cruising! To the OP...enjoy your cruise!