Veendam October 11 2014 Sailing Cancelled

billfromtulsa

Happy to hear Veendam has arrived safely and repairs can get underway.

Sail, just wondering. Boston has (or at least had) a decent drydock, I think right across the street from Black Falcon. I know Crystal Symphony went there for drydock a few years ago. Do you know if it's still active? If Veendam plans to return to Boston to pick up passengers that would certainly have been an attractive option.

I'm also wondering, if repairs go on longer than planned, Philadelphia has or at least used to have a cruise terminal (last cruise I'm aware of was 2010). I wonder if time became critical if Boston passengers could be bused there for embarkation.

Roy

The last I heard about Boston Ship Repair was back when QE2 ripped her bottom off Cape Cod. She went to Boston for temporary repairs but the yard lacked the skills and equipment for a permanent repair. Another possibility was that the Boston dry dock was unavailable for Veendam.

Sail, just wondering. Boston has (or at least had) a decent drydock, I think right across the street from Black Falcon. I know Crystal Symphony went there for drydock a few years ago. Do you know if it's still active? If Veendam plans to return to Boston to pick up passengers that would certainly have been an attractive option.

I'm also wondering, if repairs go on longer than planned, Philadelphia has or at least used to have a cruise terminal (last cruise I'm aware of was 2010). I wonder if time became critical if Boston passengers could be bused there for embarkation.

Roy

HAL must have had an excellent reason to go to Philadelphia....in Quebec city, right across the river where the Veendam was, there is a shipyard with a large enough dry dock.... So why did they choose to sail to Philadelphia ???

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

HAL must have had an excellent reason to go to Philadelphia....in Quebec city, right across the river where the Veendam was, there is a shipyard with a large enough dry dock.... So why did they choose to sail to Philadelphia ???

Dry docks are just like ships. If they are not booked they are not making money.

A few years back the Oosterdam had issues with one of hers azipods. HAL sailed the entire Alaska season on one. Only until she arrived in Australia was she able to get into drydock.

Roy

The last I heard about Boston Ship Repair was back when QE2 ripped her bottom off Cape Cod. She went to Boston for temporary repairs but the yard lacked the skills and equipment for a permanent repair. Another possibility was that the Boston dry dock was unavailable for Veendam.

Boston does not dry dock like in years past. There was a shipyard in Charlestown (section of Boston) but I've heard nothing about it in recent years.

I well remember the QEII when she went hit bottom in the Cape Cod Canal. We were riding over the Mystic River Bridge and most of the cars slowed to a crawl so we could look right down on her in the dry dock you reference. They only made sufficient repairs there for her to do her TA and full repairs were done in Great Britain, as I remember it. I still recall how sad I felt to see her on blocks.

Philadelphia did have something of a cruise terminal and I remember years ago, only one season, HAL made port call there on one of the "S" ships. That same season, I believe they called in Baltimore. I'm going back quite a few years.

It would have been great if Veendam could have been dry docked here in Boston. I would have made strong effort to 'check up on her'. :) Certainly would have been convenient for boarding her next cruise. It would be a miserable bus ride to Philadelphia from Boston. Some of us just don't relish long bus rides. :D

Edited by sail7seas

I was just looking at a thread on the Oasis OTS drydock and noticed something that may be relevant. It was pointed out (I think by chengkp75 but am not sure) that it's best to have a ship lightly loaded to go over the drydock blocks. It's probably a good thing that Veendam burned up a fair amount of fuel on the way to Philadelphia.

Roy

Norwegian Gem went to Boston for a dry dock repair in December of 2010.

There was an accident with a crane and a worker died on the scene.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

There is currently a large gray vessel in the Boston drydock of which you mentioned. I can't make out it's name or if it belongs to the navy. Maybe that's why they went to Philadelphia.

I was in the area a few days ago and there is a large military ship in the Boston dry dock -- so I guess Philadelphia was the first one with available space.

While I am certainly not at all knowledgeable about controllable pitch props on ships, I am familiar with them on aircraft. They are not really very complicated and the ones on aircraft usually operate on hydraulics. I am going to assume that a similar method of prop control would exist on a ship and am therefore confident that while it could not be repaired in the water, it should be a quick repair in dry dock. I hope.:D