Bayport Experience

travelmatron

Is there anywhere within walking distance to buy things like soda and sun screen? We will be taking using NCL to get from IAH to Bayport, and hope to avoid checking any baggage. I know we can buy some things on board like the toiletries we can't carry, but we also prefer coke and would like to bring that with us.

When are you cruising? What time are you arriving at IAH? What do you need?

If they are using a van just for you and maybe a few others, the driver might just stop on the way for a fee. I can give you suggestions of places for what you may need in the area close to the port.

When are you cruising? What time are you arriving at IAH? What do you need?

If they are using a van just for you and maybe a few others' date=' the driver might just stop on the way for a fee. I can give you suggestions of places for what you may need in the area close to the port.[/size']

We arrive in Houston Friday Dec. 5 around 7pm. The cruise is Saturday, December 6. I'm beginning to think it will be easier to find a hotel near the air port that is also close to a store and get that all done before we come over to the port. Right now we're planning on going back to the airport Saturday morning and pick up NCL's bus to the pier, but I have 2 months to change my mind on that! That Kroger could be the place I end up.

Can you tell that I had no idea there were 2 airports, 2 ports, and some pretty big distances to take into consideration before I booked this cruise and flights?

We arrive in Houston Friday Dec. 5 around 7pm. The cruise is Saturday, December 6. I'm beginning to think it will be easier to find a hotel near the air port that is also close to a store and get that all done before we come over to the port. Right now we're planning on going back to the airport Saturday morning and pick up NCL's bus to the pier, but I have 2 months to change my mind on that! That Kroger could be the place I end up.

Can you tell that I had no idea there were 2 airports, 2 ports, and some pretty big distances to take into consideration before I booked this cruise and flights?

If you are coming into IAH and spending the night before, which hotel? Probably the best bet is to do your shopping that night. Depending on the hotel, there might be things within walking distance and some/many hotels have local shuttles. I would not plan on doing anything near Bayport.

And as the other poster said, Bayport is South East of Houston and has no relationship with Galveston.

Take a look at this link, it is IAH hotels that claim to have a shuttle. If you see something you like you can call them and confirm:

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/iah.hotels.houston.texas.airport-shuttle.united-states.travel/

The ones on the end of the list might be Hobby. But there are quite a few that are IAH.

Edited by rvsullivan

We had an early morning flight from East Texas to Houston, for our connection to Honolulu, but United cancelled the early morning flight forcing us to go a day early and stay overnight. We stayed at the Sheraton about a mile from IAH. I chose them because they had a shuttle and a restaurant on site. It was a nice hotel and reasonably priced. Shuttle was prompt after I called to say we had arrived. Although I wasn't looking for any stores, I don't remember seeing any in the near vicinity. Mostly hotels and fast food places. But you could inquire to see if the shuttle can take you to a store.

Bayport cruise terminal is very remote. I drove there after a visit to Galveston this summer. After I turned off the main highway, it was mostly industrial, oil production places and ship transport companies. If I had to guess, it was at least 2 or 3 miles east of the main highway and there was nothing at that exit.

Good luck in your search and have a great cruise!

Not trying to start a debate but I was born and raised fairly near the bayport terminal. The name houston and Galveston comes up often. The address says Pasadena , but it is actually between LaPrt and Kemah. I believe it is at lease 30 miles from Houston. It does sit at the edge of Galveston bay.

I have yet to figure out how they came up with this property it is out in the middle of nowhere.

I've booked a suite at the Homewood Suites - Westchase. Getting a hotel room is not the unbelievable part. Tracey, the manager there, says that she'll be sure all the items we need are in our room when we check in the night before the cruise. Everything...she made up a shopping list...We've had some great service in our travels, but this really tops everything. I know hotels often do this type of thing for their returning and regular customers, and it's not uncommon at very expensive hotels, but we've never stayed there before and are only paying around $100/night. WOW, just WOW!

Not trying to start a debate but I was born and raised fairly near the bayport terminal. The name houston and Galveston comes up often. The address says Pasadena , but it is actually between LaPrt and Kemah. I believe it is at lease 30 miles from Houston. It does sit at the edge of Galveston bay.

I have yet to figure out how they came up with this property it is out in the middle of nowhere.

I work near Bayport and I honestly don't understand why more people don't choose to stay in Kemah. There are a few hotels around , pharmacies, groceries , and fun can be found at the Boardwalk which [

ATTACH]327166[/ATTACH]ImageUploadedByForums1412636920.321185.jpg.d9dfd3eb885f94e4474e6930e29fabc7.jpgis just 11 minutes away from the port . Way closer than the 30-40 minutes it takes to get from AIH to Bayport .

ImageUploadedByForums1412636906.518818.jpg.47f56a8f51e403ab9f7318971e57cfee.jpg

The address for Bayport is actually Seabrook. It is 42 miles from IAH. From the Southern Houston city limits it's only a few miles.

Kemah is by far the best place to stay in my opinion if you come in a day ahead. Problem is getting from IAH to Kemah.

The address for Bayport is actually Seabrook. It is 42 miles from IAH. From the Southern Houston city limits it's only a few miles.

Kemah is by far the best place to stay in my opinion if you come in a day ahead. Problem is getting from IAH to Kemah.

That's the problem exactly. The hotel airports have shuttles. To get to Kemah you have to rent a car. For our December 6th cruise I tried to rent a car at the airport and return it at the port. Enterprise, the only agency near the port, had no cars available. I have been able to pick one up after we get off the ship and return it to the airport.

That's the problem exactly. The hotel airports have shuttles. To get to Kemah you have to rent a car. For our December 6th cruise I tried to rent a car at the airport and return it at the port. Enterprise, the only agency near the port, had no cars available. I have been able to pick one up after we get off the ship and return it to the airport.

I tried to pickup from Hobby and return in Seabrook thru Enterprise as well (although ours is for October) and it showed no cars available. However, if you do a round trip back to Hobby, it shows ALL models available. Do not understand this. Either you do what you're in business to do (i.e. RENT cars) or not.

Edited by tarps14

I tried to pickup from Hobby and return in Seabrook thru Enterprise as well (although ours is for October) and it showed no cars available. However, if you do a round trip back to Hobby, it shows ALL models available. Do not understand this. Either you do what you're in business to do (i.e. RENT cars) or not.

With all of the car rental companies, they limit the number of one way rentals they allow. By far, the largest amount of business they do is with business travelers who want pickup and return to the same location. It is the reason one way prices are so high. It does not matter what port/city anywhere in the country. One way's are very expensive to discourage people from doing it. Every one way they do means they have to get it or a replacement back to their location. We always price out the options and see what is cheapest. Usually a car service/van and a cab are the best price.

I live in Seabrook which is the closest city? to the Bayport terminal and can vouch, there is nothing, and I mean, absolutely nothing near the terminal within walking distance. There are a few new motel/hotels nearby but again, unless you're in Kemah or staying on Nasa Rd 1, don't plan to leave your lodging. As for the couple staying at the Homewood Suites/Westchase, The Westchase area is in FAR Southwest Houston, at least a good 75+ minutes drive if no traffic and while their lodging cost is good and the availability of items needed is an added bonus, I hope they realize the distance this location from the cruise port. Personally it would not be worth it to me to stay this far away for any cost or reason.

And Bayport is at least a 40 minute drive from Galveston.

While it's nice to have a cruise terminal so close to our home I think the location

area and lack of amenities will be the 'kiss of death' for those coming from outside of the Houston area.

I find it odd that some business has not been able to set up in the Bayport terminal that sells the products that some folks might wish to purchase to take on their cruise. It may not be as cheap as a Walmart but still cheaper than on board.

I seem to recall having seen this in the terminal in Vancouver . Several small booths selling items ...and some of them sold soda etc.

We are sailing out of Bayport next April and still have not yet confirmed our plans but do realize we will need to make arrangements for a hotel shuttle and or taxi from a hotel to nearest grocery store etc.