What shall I do regarding the upgrade ?

pingtontsang

I was upgraded from a cabin marked do not upgrade...so wondering if that really makes a difference? It turned out fine, as the upgrade was from an inside, right next to our family members cabins to a nearby balcony, but had that balcony been at the other end of the ship or on another deck, we probably not have been as happy. It was at the last minute as neither me or my TA received any notifications.

As said, I'm not sure marking it do not upgrade has much impact!

as been mentioned before in marking your booking no upgrade is a request and not guaranteed as the cabin can be changed for operational resons

On grand class ships, the stabilizers are located about under the international

cafe, aft of the plaza deck cabins. If you are outside the ship -- on the

pier or in a tender, you can see the painted mark for the position.

They are on deck 2/3, which is above the engines.

They are not silent, as they move constantly when deployed.

That is how they operate.

They are never deployed in shallow water, narrow channels or

while docking.

I asked a bridge officer about hearing them in pax cabins.

He said you could hear them in crew cabins on decks 3+4,

but not on deck 5 and above.

That is totally incorrect information.

Whoever told you such made a mistake and is not an expert in that field.

As you can see from this photo of the Coral Princess the stabiliser is located on a downward angle from the bilge keel

4035416681_035844e58f_b.jpg

They do not constantly move as water is an unstable medium and harmonic vibrations would make it an uncomfortable cruise if the stabiliser got into a rhythm which constantly rolled the ship.

A calculation is made based on currents, the ships forward speed as to which angle is most suitable to deploy the stabiliser either downward or upward, based on the forward motion and the currents a fixed angle is selected in which the stabilisers angle applies enough pressure to either try and dive or rise one side of the ship to counter a possible roll caused by currents in the opposite direction. A stabiliser will only need to change its angle if the ships speed changed or if the currents changed or on course changes.

The reason they are not deployed in shallow waters is because as you can see they are on a downward angle from below the keel and they are in fact well below the engines.

You can just make out a stabiliser on this ship:

378157.jpg

You can also make out a stabiliser in this picture:

dry%2Bdock%2B1.jpg

hey do not constantly move as water is an unstable medium and harmonic vibrations would make it an uncomfortable cruise if the stabiliser got into a rhythm which constantly rolled the ship.

You don't know what you are talking about.

In your picture -- the fin is mounted on a shaft.

In operation, the shaft rotates back and forth,

so that the fin can produce a force upwards,

or a force downwards.

A gyro in the ship senses roll, and rotates the fins

in the direction needed to counter-act the ship's roll.

Constant heel from wind, or loading is adjusted by heeling tanks,

not stabilizers.

Edited by pablo222

You don't know what you are talking about.

In your picture -- the fin is mounted on a shaft.

In operation, the shaft rotates back and forth,

so that the fin can produce a force upwards,

or a force downwards.

A gyro in the ship senses roll, and rotates the fins

in the direction needed to counter-act the ship's roll.

Constant heel from wind, or loading is adjusted by heeling tanks,

not stabilizers.

Please do not quote my posts again. I am adding you to my ignore list as your information is incorrect.

First you claim a bridge officer gave you your information and now you act as if you know about it all.

You then claim the stabilisers are located above the engine room which was subsequently proven wrong by photographic examples of where they are located.

Your information is totally wrong.

Edited by KarateMan

Please do not quote my posts again. I am adding you to my ignore list as your information is incorrect.

First you claim a bridge officer gave you your information and now you act as if you know about it all.

Your information is totally wrong.

What ever is posted here is free to quote.

I will quote posts as I wish.

I hope anyone interested in this subject does a little research

and finds the correct information -- and ignores what you have posted.

You clearly have absolutely no idea how stabilizers operate.

And, apparently, you don't know the location of the engine room (deck 1)

vs. the stabilizer rooms (deck 2/3) -- in your first post, you told

us that the stabilizers were below the engine room!

And, I asked the officier about where the stabilizers could be

heard in cabins in deck five. That is a ship-specific thing, and

there is no way to guess.

Edited by pablo222

Help me here. I don't even know how to mark my reservation, "no upgrade" I didn't even know that was an option. Do tell, how do you do it?

Unfortunately, if you book directly with Princess online, you have to phone them afterwards to have it marked either "meta only" or "no upgrade". There is currently no way to do it online. Some Princess phone reps do not know how to do a "meta only", but all reps I have asked have been able to do a "no upgrade". It is a good idea to keep checking online afterwards; some on CC say they have booked "no upgrade" and been upgraded anyway.

If you booked with a TA, you need to contact them to do this for you.

Edited by Ryndam2002
clarity

HOORAY !

Talked to Princess customer service this morning and got our cabin back this afternoon.

Thank you for all the information, now I am a little wiser now.

I actually think you would have been pleased with the upgrade. I have been in that area and loved the location and it was very quiet.

Stabilisers are silent and remain still on a fixed angle determined by the currents to negate a roll and thrusters only operate when docking if allowed to do so by the port authority. Also the stabilisers are deep in the keel well below the much louder engine room. You would have better chances of hearing cotton landing on felt than hearing the stabiliser on a ship.

Nope... modern cruise vessels use gyroscopic stabilizers. They move according to the state of the ocean and the motion of the vessel. I was on Golden Princess many years ago in a mini-suite, midship on Dolphin deck. We were in heavy seas, with high winds, at high speed in an attempt to skirt the leading edge of Hurricane Wilma. The stabilizers made an astounding amount of noise in the cabin.

What you are describing are passive stabilizers, which are not installed on modern cruise ships.

Nope... modern cruise vessels use gyroscopic stabilizers. They move according to the state of the ocean and the motion of the vessel. I was on Golden Princess many years ago in a mini-suite, midship on Dolphin deck. We were in heavy seas, with high winds, at high speed in an attempt to skirt the leading edge of Hurricane Wilma. The stabilizers made an astounding amount of noise in the cabin...

The stabilizers on the Golden are the loudest that I can recall of any ship that I have been on; a noticeable grinding/groaning noise in the IC/aft-most Plaza cabin areas even in moderate sea conditions.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I actually think you would have been pleased with the upgrade. I have been in that area and loved the location and it was very quiet.

We appreciated the upgrade, but don't want to take any chance to hear the noise that could disturb us. According to " cabin view by renmar site " we have a partial obstructed view cabin and that is good enough for us. May be I'll check it out when we are cruising.

We appreciated the upgrade, but don't want to take any chance to hear the noise that could disturb us. According to " cabin view by renmar site " we have a partial obstructed view cabin and that is good enough for us. May be I'll check it out when we are cruising.

It is not the window part that I like, it is the Plaza deck. So convenient to everything, yet so quiet. I have been in a cabin right next to that cabin.

Edited by Coral

Nope... modern cruise vessels use gyroscopic stabilizers. They move according to the state of the ocean and the motion of the vessel. I was on Golden Princess many years ago in a mini-suite, midship on Dolphin deck. We were in heavy seas, with high winds, at high speed in an attempt to skirt the leading edge of Hurricane Wilma. The stabilizers made an astounding amount of noise in the cabin.

That is very interesting -- that you could hear them even on Dolphin.

That is very interesting -- that you could hear them even on Dolphin.

Enough to wake us up in the middle of the night. But, like I mentioned, it was extraordinary circumstances and I'm sure they were working hard. We've been on Golden Princess a few times since and I haven't heard them again...