Leaving Balcony Doors open at Night ?

Pennbank

I often wonder about Leaving the Balcony door open at night ? Is it fair to other passengers ? Who has not heard the whistling noise, this action can make, with the flow of air/wind blowing underneath the Main passenger Stateroom door into the Corridor. I Have had to sometimes place a rolled up towel on the corridor floor outside the stateroom that has their balcony door open to stop the annoying whistling noise at night time.

Any one else suffered ?

Edited by Pennbank

I've never heard the noise at night in the cabin but in the grills hallways it's always howling on sea days.

My very favorite was walking down the hallway......seeing a steward, with a huge vase of flowers, knocking on a door. The door opened...the flowers went airborne in a big whoosh and he stood there looking horrified, holding his empty vase. :)

I often wonder about Leaving the Balcony door open at night ? Is it fair to other passengers ? Who has not heard the whistling noise, this action can make, with the flow of air/wind blowing underneath the Main passenger Stateroom door into the Corridor. I Have had to sometimes place a rolled up towel on the corridor floor outside the stateroom that has their balcony door open to stop the annoying whistling noise at night time.

Any one else suffered ?

QM2: the towel trick works fine also from inside.

QE: carpenter has to involved as doors vibrate

I've never heard the noise at night in the cabin but in the grills hallways it's always howling on sea days.

My very favorite was walking down the hallway......seeing a steward, with a huge vase of flowers, knocking on a door. The door opened...the flowers went airborne in a big whoosh and he stood there looking horrified, holding his empty vase. :)

This sudden draft clears the small tables as well.

There are no sliding doors on Cunard ships. The doors if QV and QE stay open by themselves, for QM2 we always carry an elastic line with hooks. DW cannot sleep with closed doors, I can' t when they are open. Guess who wins....

Lol....that's so funny,why is it more prevalent around the QG cabins...?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I usually have had QG Suites, and I wondered the same thing about that wind from some of the other suites. I figured it was older couples who had intestinal gas issues?? And one would be standing holding the doorway to the balcony open while the room air was exchanged.

This sudden draft clears the small tables as well.

There are no sliding doors on Cunard ships. The doors if QV and QE stay open by themselves, for QM2 we always carry an elastic line with hooks. DW cannot sleep with closed doors, I can' t when they are open. Guess who wins....

I lost the better part of a cruise worth of daily programmes last time out - opened the balcony door at the same time as SWMBO opened the cabin door and off they went!

J

Sleeping with the balcony door open is the best part of cruising..............well maybe after dancing, and visiting wonderful new ports, and meeting lots of new people. Well no matter where it falls in order of precedence, sleeping with the balcony door open is really cool, even in stormy weather. Maybe especially in stormy weather.

We truly love the sea. :)

QM2: the towel trick works fine also from inside.

QE: carpenter has to involved as doors vibrate

thats fine, but you have to place the towel outside if it not your cabin ! And you are the one being disturbed.

Here's an interesting Cruise Critic article from 2011 titled "An Open-and-Shut Issue on Cruise Ships: The Great Balcony-Door Debate" http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4370

Loved this bit

and there are always a certain number of people who have the attitude of, 'I'll do whatever I want to do in MY cabin.'" :rolleyes:

Same attitude as Having the Volume of the TV turned up to Maximum !

Edited by Pennbank

I think the most telling part in that article is the impact that it may have on other passengers. The most dramatic is through the air conditioning system. Each unit services a few cabins, so if mine overworks because of the open door then the surrounding cabins don't get the temperature they've chosen. Then there's the noise that other people have mentioned. I was interested to read, in addition, that I'm paying a higher fare because of the extra fuel used by those people with balcony doors open. Tsk, tsk.

This would help with the aircon problem at least.

(quoted from the CC article linked above)

She also added that HAL, on a few of its ships, has beta-tested technology that automatically shuts off cabin air-conditioning when balcony doors are opened. But, at this point, the line's use of said technology is still not official or fleetwide.

Re the noise - On our crossing in early June I certainly noticed the whistling in the corridors but not from inside our stateroom (deck 12). Perhaps my neighbours did not have their doors propped open.

Does the air leak all around the door? or just at the bottom? Seemed to be all around but then the towel wouldn't solve the problem surely? I'd be worried about 'towelling' someone else's door in case they went head over heel when exiting in the morning

We slept with the door open on the last glorious night from Halifax into NYC (at 17 knots or less) - previous nights way too chilly. It was a truly magic last night on the crossing. I do hope our neighbours weren't sitting up cursing us all night.

I'd be worried about 'towelling' someone else's door in case they went head over heel when exiting in the morning.

You are absolutely correct. If we started the trend of "boobytrapping" our neighbors doorways....no telling where this will end. :D

I'd be worried about 'towelling' someone else's door in case they went head over heel when exiting in the morning

I read the comment about towels outside offending doors and was astonished anyone could something so unthinking. It's a trip hazard ready to catch the unwary.

You are absolutely correct. If we started the trend of "boobytrapping" our neighbors doorways....no telling where this will end. :D

I can think of some cases where a claymore mine might have been more appropriate than a towel :cool:

J

I read the comment about towels outside offending doors and was astonished anyone could something so unthinking. It's a trip hazard ready to catch the unwary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariposa777 View Post

I'd be worried about 'towelling' someone else's door in case they went head over heel when exiting in the morning.

You are absolutely correct. If we started the trend of "boobytrapping" our neighbors doorways....no telling where this will end.

Health and safety gone mad !!! (No difference to the sink holes) You are quite right .

A phone call to the offending Cabin should have been made after G32 had closed. :D

Edited by Pennbank