Can a Ziploc Bag Protect a Gadget as Well as a Waterproof Case?

cruisecritiquer

Ever wonder what kind of water proof wallet/lanyard you should purchase to protect your belongings from being waterlogged?

Well here's the science experiment. :)

I thought I got this embedding thing figured out but I guess not so click the link.

[YOUTUBE]

[/YOUTUBE] Edited by cruisecritiquer

I have the newest iphone. There is no way I'm paying this much, and believing an experiment. Ever.

Bonnie

Yeah, since iphone comes out every year, I'm sure there a lot of upgraders out there. I wouldn't put a new iphone in a ziplock bag (or even an older one) but the experiment does also discuss a frequently purchased product that leaks just like the ziplock. I guess you can ignore the experiment if you want to but at the very least i knew which item not to purchase. :cool: In the end the experiment shows that the ziplock and another product do leak. His opinion of what product to use in light of the results of the experiment is really not relevant to my decision. The actual result of the experiment however was...in the same way reviews are. I'm not sure what not to trust.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Just put the iphone in the ziplock bag inside the waterproof case. That makes sure no water and/or moist ever gets in. There's a couple of good ones from Amazon and Ebags that sell for under $20 plus shipping.

Edited by maywell

We've never had a problem using a good quality Zip Lock Bag. :)

Have friends that do this all of the time. The biggest reason I like the Alligator is the wrist strap in the event of non sealable pockets in suit.

Devices sitting stationary underwater in an aquarium isn't really a good representation of reality, where movement inside of pockets could affect the performance of the protective cases or bag.

My phone stays nice and dry on the ship in my cabin...

Edited by triptolemus

Devices sitting stationary underwater in an aquarium isn't really a good representation of reality, where movement inside of pockets could affect the performance of the protective cases or bag.

Great point. We lock our phones in the safe and access in a week or 12 days also. It's a vacation.

Seems rather obvious :) Beats a ziploc bag any day!

You gotta be kidding me:eek:.

I hope you're kidding.

Rice has been known for quite some time as a method for drying a drenched phone. Articles and forums posts have reported mixed results in recent years.

Here's a Popular Mechanics article from 2008... Google for more.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

Rice has been known for quite some time as a method for drying a drenched phone. Articles and forums posts have reported mixed results in recent years.

Here's a Popular Mechanics article from 2008... Google for more.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/how-to/tips/4269047

I'm not arguing that. It's just the idea of taking rice along. That rates with duct tape, bungee cords and everything else in the kitchen. That's my point:rolleyes:

This is one reason I bought the Galaxy S5. It's waterproof to 3 feet, so even if it does get a bit wet, it's not going to hurt the phone. Now, it probably wouldn't survive being dropped in the ocean, which is why I will probably put it in a ziplock if I'm directly in the water, but it should be fine if the bag leaks.