Real Room Size?

chrismch

This is something that really bugs me. On my upcoming Eurodam cruise, it shows on HAL's site as:

Ocean View rooms -"Approximately 169–267 sq. ft"

Verandah - "Approximately 213–379 sq ft"

Interior - Approximately 141–284 sq. ft.

The pictures for the deck plans make the rooms look similar in size by category. How do you find those really big rooms?

This is something that really bugs me. On my upcoming Eurodam cruise, it shows on HAL's site as:

The pictures for the deck plans make the rooms look similar in size by category. How do you find those really big rooms?

In many cases the larger ones are the handicapped accessible cabins.

One good way to do it is to select a few cabins you would be interested in, and check them out on HALFacts.com. Posters have taken pictures of their cabins, and submitted them for all to see. Don't forget to check the comparable cabin(s) on the sister ships, too.

You can always ask here about a specific cabin, too. It's almost guaranteed that at least one of us knows something about your cabin, or a similar one on that ship, or a sister ship.

Most staterooms within a type, such as oceanview or verandah, are the same size and probably the minimum size. I agree that HAL should not suggest that there is variation when it is just a few special staterooms.

igraf

The pictures for the deck plans make the rooms look similar in size by category. How do you find those really big rooms? [END QUOTE]

This has puzzled me as well while doing research for an upcoming cruise. I have noticed that other cruise lines do the same thing. It makes sense that the handicapped rooms are probably the largest in the particular categories.

It's nice to be able to check HALFacts.com. or ask for opinions and help here on CC.

It makes sense that the handicapped rooms are probably the largest in the particular categories.

Although it's true that the handicapped cabins are among the largest in their category, the larger cabins are not limited to handicapped. There are some huge cabins, for example, in the insides on the Vista/Signature ships. But if you want one of them, and don't know which ones they are, it helps to be pointed in the right direction.

Some of the verandas are larger, while others are smaller, than others. If the veranda area is included in the cabin measurements, and the cabin size changes as a result, that's good info to know.

try this web site. http://deckplangenius.com it has all the ships pros and cons of each room etc.

This has puzzled me as well while doing research for an upcoming cruise. I have noticed that other cruise lines do the same thing. It makes sense that the handicapped rooms are probably the largest in the particular categories.

It's nice to be able to check HALFacts.com. or ask for opinions and help here on CC.

They have to be to allow freedom of movement.

DD and I stayed in an HA cabin on the Noordam as a result of booking an OB OV GTY, and it wasn't pretty. It was a regular sized OV room, and the extra room came from removing furniture. The loveseat was removed as well as the closets in the hallway. The only closet storage that we had was 1 closet placed where the loveseat should have been. It held the safe and lifejackets so usable space was extremely limited, especially for 2 women on a 10 day cruise. The desk was tiny and had no drawers. DD was able to use the underbed drawer, but the one under my bed was used by the steward to store things when the room was turned down for the evening.

The room could work for a single traveler, but definitely not for 2 people.

I lived out of my suitcase for 10 days. This was the one time that our GTY gamble didn't work out.

DD and I stayed in an HA cabin on the Noordam as a result of booking an OB OV GTY, and it wasn't pretty. It was a regular sized OV room, and the extra room came from removing furniture. The loveseat was removed as well as the closets in the hallway. The only closet storage that we had was 1 closet placed where the loveseat should have been. It held the safe and lifejackets so usable space was extremely limited, especially for 2 women on a 10 day cruise. The desk was tiny and had no drawers. DD was able to use the underbed drawer, but the one under my bed was used by the steward to store things when the room was turned down for the evening.

I lived out of my suitcase for 10 days. This was the one time that our GTY gamble didn't work out.

True. I heard this before.:(:(

We had a handicapped room on the Eurodam that was the same. My husband uses a wheelchair for long distances and we thought that it would be a good room. WRONG, it was just as described above. There was storage in the hassock and in the drawers in the nightstands next to the bed, but that was it. Learned our lesson and now only book regular rooms preferably either a veranda room on the Oosterdam, Nieuw Amsterdam, Eurodam on deck 4 or a lanai room on the smaller ships. There is room for his wheelchair folded up and have plenty of storage. We have just discovered the lanai rooms on our last cruise on the Rotterdam and have one booked on our next cruise on the Veendam. The couch is little smaller but there is plenty of room otherwise to move around even with the wheelchair near the sliding door.

I did call my TA and got dimensions for an OV on Eurodam. She called HAL and they told her it was 172 ft. I don't want to call in and ask about a dozen rooms.

What I'd like to know is which rooms really are larger, so I can see about making those a 1st choice. Of course that depends on their location. Had a wonderfully large room once, but hard to sleep due to the noise above our room - lido desk, china storage lockers.