A question about the jogging track on the Oasis..

big al

Hi all- A group of us are going on the 10/27 Oasis 5 nighter and although I have been on the Oasis twice, remind me about the jogging track: I know it's on deck 5 ( where the RP is), but WHERE is the entrance? Also, is it strictly for JOGGERS or can people who want to take walks allowed as well? I thought I read somewhere that you can enter the track towards the aft on deck 5....

Big Al

You can access it on deck 5 just ouside the elevators, you can access it from the gym on deck 6 (via stairs obviously), I think you can access it via stairs from back of deck 6. Walkers are welcome but PLEASE stay to the right and please don't walk 4 abreast holding hands.

There are a couple of entrances, one is deck 5 on each side and one you can walk down the stairs from the gym. Also be aware that the staff has a few entrances to the track. I also ran over a 8 ft hippo wearing a tutu coming out of her dressing room at the back of the ship.

4 abreast holding hands.

Or wander back and forth while reading your e-reader. Or using a pair of walking sticks that extend 45 degrees from your hip. I think I'm one of the leaders in terms of milage put on the Allure's track, so I have seen a few interesting things there. For the most part the ship's maintenance crews are very considerate of passengers, but some guest services crew and other staff will use the track in the wrong direction as a short cut.

There are a couple of entrances, one is deck 5 on each side and one you can walk down the stairs from the gym. Also be aware that the staff has a few entrances to the track. I also ran over a 8 ft hippo wearing a tutu coming out of her dressing room at the back of the ship.

Of course you know that a few people will have no idea what you are talking about an ASSume you are referring to someone with poor taste in clothing and a very big a$$.:eek::D

Or wander back and forth while reading your e-reader. Or using a pair of walking sticks that extend 45 degrees from your hip. I think I'm one of the leaders in terms of milage put on the Allure's track, so I have seen a few interesting things there. For the most part the ship's maintenance crews are very considerate of passengers, but some guest services crew and other staff will use the track in the wrong direction as a short cut.

I will try to be polite in my response. I have Multiple Sclerosis and walk using forearm crutches. I try to walk for at least 1hour per day to maintain weight loss. I generally walk faster than most people who walk. I always stay to the right unless passing slower people. I understand the "rules of the road" and try to be accommodating to the faster people. I use the track and gym facility for the same reason as most.

I will try to be polite in my response. I have Multiple Sclerosis and walk using forearm crutches. I try to walk for at least 1hour per day to maintain weight loss. I generally walk faster than most people who walk. I always stay to the right unless passing slower people. I understand the "rules of the road" and try to be accommodating to the faster people. I use the track and gym facility for the same reason as most.

Thanks for the reply & thanks to all as well...sounds pretty straight forward..

You can access it on deck 5 just ouside the elevators, you can access it from the gym on deck 6 (via stairs obviously), I think you can access it via stairs from back of deck 6. Walkers are welcome but PLEASE stay to the right and please don't walk 4 abreast holding hands.

LOL so right!!!

Drives me crazy! You'll have serious runners, fast walkers and joggers trying to follow the rules and staying in the left lane..(to pass)..With some very oblivious strollers blithely walking hand in hand or two or three side by side clogging up everything........and really putting the runners (and themselves)at risk of an injury.

There are several entrances port, starboard, aft and bow. It is truly the best jogging trail on any ship I have seen!:)

Edited by JohnSnowGOT

Of course you know that a few people will have no idea what you are talking about an ASSume you are referring to someone with poor taste in clothing and a very big a$$.:eek::D

Funny! Yes, I could see that misconception. Many of the dreamworks characters dress in a room off the track below the aquatheater and take a walk on the track to the stairs up to the aquatheater for their performance. Much to my Chagrin they walk backwards on the track and around a corner.

That I understand, this was a woman who went to a trendy hiking store and paid big bucks for walking sticks, these were in no way a medical assistance device. My Mom had MS for 40 years until I lost her in 2009, know I know what you are referring to.

Good thing you were polite in your response, thanks for making the effort. Clearly forearm crutches are not walking sticks and its a leap (pun not intended) to come to that conclusion. As far as I know LL Bean doesn't make medical equipment.

sticks.jpg

PS I had thought I had said these were devices purchased at a trendy Hiking store. (I usually add that)

Edited by BillOh

That I understand, this was a woman who went to a trendy hiking store and paid big bucks for walking sticks, these were in no way a medical assistance device. My Mom had MS for 40 years until I lost her in 2009, know I know what you are referring to.

It's all good. Thank you for your response, sometimes things get rather heated around here for no reason. I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

Good thing you were polite in your response, thanks for making the effort. Clearly forearm crutches are not walking sticks and its a leap (pun not intended) to come to that conclusion. As far as I know LL Bean doesn't make medical equipment.

sticks.jpg

PS I had thought I had said these were devices purchased at a trendy Hiking store. (I usually add that)

I do a lot of hiking in the mountains of New Mexico, I see a bunch of REI rangers using those.

I do a lot of hiking in the mountains of New Mexico, I see a bunch of REI rangers using those.

My personal handicap, which is minor compared to yours is having no depth perception, so I tend to avoid trail hiking/running. I see no use for these a flat track with lots of visibility and no rocks, holes, snakes, puddles or large roots. ;)

LOL so right!!!

Drives me crazy! You'll have serious runners, fast walkers and joggers trying to follow the rules and staying in the left lane..(to pass)..With some very oblivious strollers blithely walking hand in hand or two or three side by side clogging up everything........and really putting the runners (and themselves)at risk of an injury.

There are several entrances port, starboard, aft and bow. It is truly the best jogging trail on any ship I have seen!:)

I can have claustrophobia. Can you exit the track in any other places beside

aft and forward stairs?

Thanks.

PS I know the rules and walk fast

Barb

aft and forward stairs?

Thanks.

Barb

There might be stairs on the aft end up to the Boardwalk, can't remember for sure.

Also, you are not totally closed in. You can see out to the water between the lifeboats.

aft and forward stairs?

Thanks.

Barb

Funny you should mention Claustrophobia. The first time I ran a few laps on this track it was a very hot day with no wind and Allure was docked in Nassau. With the view obstructed by the life boats on both sides and in this case a ship on one side and the tunnel at the back, I could see where this might bother someone. I also noticed due to the ship's design even when moving, not much air moves through here. However, if you imagine a lap is 1/2 mile (not exactly, but you get the idea.) There are at least 6 exits/entrances with scattered wide visibility areas. Shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as its not packed. (never seen more than 25 people on it at one time.

There might be stairs on the aft end up to the Boardwalk, can't remember for sure.

There is for sure one set of stairs there, don't remember if there is two. This is where I ran into the hippo. (Dreamworks character)

Thanks for the heads up on the rules. I am pretty new to walking and have never availed myself to the fitness facilities on the ships I have sailed. I have started a new weight loss regimen and just started walking to supplement the diet. I do plan to continue while on the Oasis. Do they have "walking/jogging rules" posted where everyone can see? I may not be the only person for whom all of this is new and not everyone reads Cruise Critic. I am sure much of this is just common sense, but not everyone is so blessed.:o I don't believe most people who are creating a hazard are being intentionally inconsiderate. They are just in vacation mode and not aware of their surroundings. BTW, my DH s a walker, but no chance of us holding hands as we go. He walks much faster than me and would be dragging me along. I will go separately.:)

Thanks for the heads up on the rules. I am pretty new to walking and have never availed myself to the fitness facilities on the ships I have sailed. I have started a new weight loss regimen and just started walking to supplement the diet. I do plan to continue while on the Oasis. Do they have "walking/jogging rules" posted where everyone can see? I may not be the only person for whom all of this is new and not everyone reads Cruise Critic. I am sure much of this is just common sense, but not everyone is so blessed.:o I don't believe most people who are creating a hazard are being intentionally inconsiderate. They are just in vacation mode and not aware of their surroundings. BTW, my DH s a walker, but no chance of us holding hands as we go. He walks much faster than me and would be dragging me along. I will go separately.:)

Maybe I will see a whole new Ginny by 2017 if we cruise together then? I do believe there are many markers on the floor where it is broken into 2 lanes with signs and symbols saying walkers on the right and runners to the left. (You will never hear me use the term Joggers)

You can also reach it using the stairs (down) on the right or left of the aqua theater screen (Boardwalk obviosuly).

Oops, just noticed someone else mentioned those. Side note, some shuffleboard courts are hidden behind that screen.

Edited by JasonV1

2 lanes clearly marked and easy to access from the Deck 5 elevator lobbies and gym. There are also stairs up to the shuffleboard area on deck 6 and a good view of the aquatheater

DSCN1544.jpg

DSCN1545.jpg

DSCN1546.jpg

DSCN1548.jpg

Thanks for the pics! I read your post about the chairs in the aft- seems very nice place to sit & chill and look at the sights...Cheers!

Big Al