A question about the jogging track on the Oasis..

big al

Thanks for the pics! I read your post about the chairs in the aft- seems very nice place to sit & chill and look at the sights...Cheers!

Big Al

It is a very nice place to sit an chill. The background screen on my home computer is a picture I took sitting in a chair there looking out at Oasis's wake.

Thanks for the heads up on the rules. I am pretty new to walking and have never availed myself to the fitness facilities on the ships I have sailed. I have started a new weight loss regimen and just started walking to supplement the diet. I do plan to continue while on the Oasis. Do they have "walking/jogging rules" posted where everyone can see? I may not be the only person for whom all of this is new and not everyone reads Cruise Critic. I am sure much of this is just common sense, but not everyone is so blessed.:o I don't believe most people who are creating a hazard are being intentionally inconsiderate. They are just in vacation mode and not aware of their surroundings. BTW, my DH s a walker, but no chance of us holding hands as we go. He walks much faster than me and would be dragging me along. I will go separately.:)

I wish you absolutely the very best of luck on your weight loss. I lost 80lbs in 6 months, and have kept it off for a year. I did exactly what you are doing, changed the way that I eat and started walking.......lots of walking. Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done.

Funny you should mention Claustrophobia. The first time I ran a few laps on this track it was a very hot day with no wind and Allure was docked in Nassau. With the view obstructed by the life boats on both sides and in this case a ship on one side and the tunnel at the back, I could see where this might bother someone. I also noticed due to the ship's design even when moving, not much air moves through here. However, if you imagine a lap is 1/2 mile (not exactly, but you get the idea.) There are at least 6 exits/entrances with scattered wide visibility areas. Shouldn't be too much of a problem as long as its not packed. (never seen more than 25 people on it at one time.

Estimate 1/4 mile between aft and forward stairs......piece of cake!

I plan to walk the track to and from aft/forward stairs when I am meeting a schedule on Deck 3, Conference Rm Forward, duplicate bridge cruise....to avoid Promenade and 8...

Maybe I will see a whole new Ginny by 2017 if we cruise together then? I do believe there are many markers on the floor where it is broken into 2 lanes with signs and symbols saying walkers on the right and runners to the left. (You will never hear me use the term Joggers)

Yep! You and Gina are inspirations!:D

BTW, I'm really not stalking you. We seem to be posting on all the same threads today, LOL!:D

I wish you absolutely the very best of luck on your weight loss. I lost 80lbs in 6 months, and have kept it off for a year. I did exactly what you are doing, changed the way that I eat and started walking.......lots of walking. Don't let anyone tell you that it can't be done.

Thanks. I am bound and determined to feel better and this is the best way to do it. 30 lbs off so far (since August 1). I am using My Fitness Pal. On my next cruise I want to not be winded by the time I reach the end of the pier.:cool:

Walkers are welcome but PLEASE stay to the right and please don't walk 4 abreast holding hands.

Ha. On the Freedom's track a few years ago I was running by and almost knocked over a woman who had full plates of food in each hand. It would have been an epic disaster at sea.

Thanks for the heads up on the rules. I am pretty new to walking

Are you two years old? I'm kidding, I get what you're saying.

Walking sticks on a cruise ship? Somebody too the time to pack walking sticks? And they use them on a cruise ship?

Off topic, but anyone else notice (according to the above picture) that 'you' are in two places at once? According to the sign, 'you' are at the port forward AND port aft elevator lobby entrances. :D

That's part of RCI's new budget cuts. It saves the cost of printing two different signs!:D

Ha. On the Freedom's track a few years ago I was running by and almost knocked over a woman who had full plates of food in each hand. It would have been an epic disaster at sea.

I've seen a garage sale like that before. Somebody was on the track running faster than they should have been and a lady was coming back from the bar with 3 umbrella drinks. It was spectacular, think one of the glasses went overboard.

Off topic, but anyone else notice (according to the above picture) that 'you' are in two places at once? According to the sign, 'you' are at the port forward AND port aft elevator lobby entrances. :D

Jogging for quantum theoretical physicists.

Hi all- A group of us are going on the 10/27 Oasis 5 nighter and although I have been on the Oasis twice, remind me about the jogging track: I know it's on deck 5 ( where the RP is), but WHERE is the entrance? Also, is it strictly for JOGGERS or can people who want to take walks allowed as well? I thought I read somewhere that you can enter the track towards the aft on deck 5....

Big Al

Alan!! You could have posted this on our roll call.... One of my favorite things about cruising Allure and Oasis is getting up early and running on Deck 5. In the past when I have traveled with my teen-aged boys, they enjoy running late at night. We get kick out of the little inspirational signs hanging above the track...

My last cruise was on Freedom and let's just say the track just does not compare as it is up on the pool deck and shaped like a small figure eight :-( it was awful. Less than THREE weeks til I'm back running on Oasis - see you down there!

but be aware of the inconsiderate people who pull the chairs in the lanes.

I didn't have that problem this past week on Allure. That was a first. Not even once. Also first was a couple who continued to walk against the traffic in spite of the fact everyone was going the other way. Apparently they didn't understand our symbols. It became especially annoying when they would stop, he standing across both lanes around 6:30 am, she at the railing so he could take photos of her at sunrise. Seriously. There was nothing anyone could say as they wouldn't have understood.

At this point I thought it would have been common sense since they were the only ones doing this.

And yes, one morning there was a foursome that just didn't get it even as I had to maneuver through them, they continued this blocking of both lanes and the small space beside the lanes. They weren't holding hands though. :p

Gina

Alan!! You could have posted this on our roll call.... One of my favorite things about cruising Allure and Oasis is getting up early and running on Deck 5. In the past when I have traveled with my teen-aged boys, they enjoy running late at night. We get kick out of the little inspirational signs hanging above the track...

My last cruise was on Freedom and let's just say the track just does not compare as it is up on the pool deck and shaped like a small figure eight :-( it was awful. Less than THREE weeks til I'm back running on Oasis - see you down there!

Suizas! How funny to see you answer here....thanx, but it won't be ME on this track ( thanks to arthritis) , but my sister-in-law & hubby like to walk a lot, and my wife asked me to find out about the running track..I remember seeing it, but also remember reading posts about walking vs. running and some banter going back & forth on this...I prefer to walk fast from bar to bar for my exercise,LOL...see you in LESS than 3 weeks!!

Alan

And yes, one morning there was a foursome that just didn't get it even as I had to maneuver through them, they continued this blocking of both lanes and the small space beside the lanes. They weren't holding hands though. :p

Gina

There is one advantage of being 6'2 225lbs. Though I let me size 13 shoes slap the deck on my 15 seconds of approach.

There is one advantage of being 6'2 225lbs. Though I let me size 13 shoes slap the deck on my 15 seconds of approach.

:)

And regarding the "faster than should be going" comment made earlier. You might know the answer. What speed would that be? Have you seen the speed limit signs posted? I haven't noticed. ;)

Gina

As I am 105 pounds and 5'2," I guess my size 4 shoes aren't loud enough to scare anyone so I have to do a lot of polite "on your left" on my rounds.

Edited by Bookish Angel

As I am 105 pounds and 5'2," I guess my size 4 shoes aren't loud enough to scare anyone so I have to do a lot of polite "on your left" on my rounds.

Most people jump to the left or do nothing I've noticed if I say that.

Generally I find a wet spot I can run in which makes my shoes squeak. That gets most peoples attention when they hear me coming. But there are those few.... I assume they are the same ones who already went to the pool deck and put their stuff on a chair. That's another story. :)

Most people do follow the rules of the track but all it takes is one (or one group) to make it difficult. And usually there is at least one. I try to make it out there by 6am or earlier if possible just to be the 7am rush.

Gina