roll away bed

lindasuej

We are thinking of taking our Adult daughter on a cruise in April as a graduation present. It has been a very hard 4 years for with 3 children 17, 14, 9, hubby and going to school making the chancellors list every semester. If we book a balcony it says a roll a way bed will be placed in the room for our cruise. How comfortable is that bed? Thanks. Linda

When we have had a third person in the room, it has not been a roll a way bed, but a bed that comes down from the wall. My college age daughter has slept in it on a few cruises and said it was very comfortable. You get in and out similar to bunk beds.

All of the cabins I have been in would be extremely crowded with a roll a way type bed. The cabins are very small with limited floor space. Are you sure they said roll a way bed? It's typically a bed as I described above, a bed that folds down from the upper part of the wall.

The bed comes down in the evening and usually the room steward will fold it back up during the day.

Edited by vmom

We are thinking of taking our Adult daughter on a cruise in April as a graduation present. It has been a very hard 4 years for with 3 children 17, 14, 9, hubby and going to school making the chancellors list every semester. If we book a balcony it says a roll a way bed will be placed in the room for our cruise. How comfortable is that bed? Thanks. Linda

When looking at the deck plans there is a spot that has a drop down to change the number of passengers. The default will be ANY. Change it to 3 and it will gray-out all the cabins that don't already have the ability to house 3 passengers. The cabins that are still "colored in" will be ones that already have the drop-down bunk in the ceiling.

Edited by Thrak

When looking at the deck plans there is a spot that has a drop down to change the number of passengers. The default will be ANY. Change it to 3 and it will gray-out all the cabins that don't already have the ability to house 3 passengers. The cabins that are still "colored in" will be ones that already have the drop-down bunk in the ceiling.

Thanks for the tip on the deck plan. When looking, some say roll away bed and others say pull down bed. Mini suite states sofa bed. My daughter is 41 years old and although she is my kid, she isn't a kid. Do you think she would be comfortable with any of the options? Sofa bed, Pullman drop down bed having to climb a ladder or roll away bed? Thanks

Having experienced two of the options, I'll weigh in. At approx., the same age as your daughter (40-ish) I slept in one of the pull-down bunks. I didn't mind climbing up into it and I think the mattress was almost as comfortable as the 'main' beds but I really didn't care for being so close to the ceiling . The sofa bed was like pull out couches everywhere -- not so comfy. The steward got me an egg-crate, which helped but I eventually opted for sleeping on it as a couch rather than made up into a bed. I am vertically challenged (read SHORT) so that worked out well for me. Quite frankly, either choice of sleeping arrangement was WAY better than staying home!

Becca

When we traveled with family on a recent cruise my daughter and family had a roll-away in their Balcony cabin. It was very crowded when the bed was folded out. However, the Steward would fold it back up during the day to allow for more room to walk around. It would not be my choice, but it worked for her.