Transfers to and from London and accomodations

backintyme

We are taking a Scandinavian and Russia cruise on RCI's Brilliance in June of 2015. We would like to stay in London for five nights prior to the cruise and would like suggestions for moderate priced hotels as well as information on transfers from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruise ship.

We stayed at a Holiday Inn that was moderately (for London) that we booked through hotels.com. It was on a main street and a bus ride away from museums.

To get into town, I suggest the Heathrow Express. Buy your tickets on line ahead of time, I would also suggest getting prepaid Oyster cards that are good on the underground and buses.

There is a website called visitbritain that sells all of these tickets.

Take the tube from Heathrow into London - takes 30 minutes max and cost

L6 (6 pounds). Buy a ticket at the entrance to the tube. Forget the bus or taxis - you'll be on the road for over an hour.

Edited by Diver2014

Take the tube from Heathrow into London - takes 30 minutes max and cost

L6 (6 pounds). Buy a ticket at the entrance to the tube. Forget the bus or taxis - you'll be on the road for over an hour.

Actually the tube to Covent Garden for example is 45 min.

Actually the tube to Covent Garden for example is 45 min.

actually....you are correct. I got off at Covent Garden last time I was there but I guess I lost track of the actual time. It's still a lot faster than surface roads and I've tried those in private cars, taxis and the bus. Other than having to schlep your own luggage, I vote for the tube over any other transportation from Heathrow into London.

Take the Picadilly Line of London Underground (NOT Heathrow Express) to Gloucester Road - about 30 minutes. It is a very convenient station because you can take Picadilllly, Central or District trains from there - getting you pretty much anywhere in London quickly and cheaply. The station is at the corner of Gloucester Road and Cromwell Road - where there are many hotels - right across the street is the Best Western at 110 Cromwell Road - about $170 per night for clean, comfortable double room. There are lots of reasonable restaurants in the immediate neighborhood.

The best way to get the port (is it Southampton or Harwich?) would be to contact others on your roll call and share a car service - or else take a train on your own.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Keep in mind if you take the tube into London you are almost definitely going to have to drag your suitcases up steps or an escalator (or two). If you take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station that is not an issue. Personally, I could not make it out of the tube dragging luggage. All depends on what you are physically able to do.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Keep in mind if you take the tube into London you are almost definitely going to have to drag your suitcases up steps or an escalator (or two). If you take the Heathrow Express to Paddington Station that is not an issue. Personally, I could not make it out of the tube dragging luggage. All depends on what you are physically able to do.

I would agree with this to be honest. Even though I am happy to use the tube with even a small case it can be a pain. I always use the Heathrow express unless I know the stations I need have step free access

I would take the train or tube to Victoria Station and stay in one of the hotels in that area. There's a Best Western, Doubletree and Premier Inn in the area. I've stayed at the Best Western Annex twice and the price is acceptable by London standards though the rooms are small based on what you get in America. You'd be a 5-10 minute walk to any form of transportation including catching a National Express coach to Southampton. You can pre-book your coach ride for as low as $5bps each way. The cab ride from Southampton to the pier will be less than $9bps. Many would say walk to the pier from there but I've failed in my past 2 attempts.

You could save a few dollars by staying to Southampton the night before the cruise

What form of transfer depends on which London airport you're flying into, which port you're cruising out of, and the location of your London hotel.

For instance you couldn't get a less convenient location than Paddington, quoted by others, if you,re flying into Gatwick and cruising out of Dover.

As Bruce's suggestion, ask on the Britain board. But include useful detail - dates and approx times, airports and port/ship, numbers and important details of your party (kids, mobility, etc), any specific places you want to visit inside and outside London, and the standard of accommodation you want.

One thing's for sure - London is no place to have a car, and you'll want a hotel that is handy to a tube (metro) station and ideally a hoho route.

JB :)

What form of transfer depends on which London airport you're flying into, which port you're cruising out of, and the location of your London hotel.

For instance you couldn't get a less convenient location than Paddington, quoted by others, if you,re flying into Gatwick and cruising out of Dover.

As Bruce's suggestion, ask on the Britain board. But include useful detail - dates and approx times, airports and port/ship, numbers and important details of your party (kids, mobility, etc), any specific places you want to visit inside and outside London, and the standard of accommodation you want.

One thing's for sure - London is no place to have a car, and you'll want a hotel that is handy to a tube (metro) station and ideally a hoho route.

JB :)

Seconded - it would be easier to drive a rental car in Rome than in London for a right side driver. Also, while Heathrow Express saves a bit of time, it costs a lot more than the regular underground, and it gets you to Paddington; OK perhaps if you find a decent, reasonably priced hotel right there, but otherwise it would require a taxi or underground to get a choice.