Penn Station to Pier 88 best Options

Friends of ours are planning to travel from NJ via the PATH train to Penn Station and then take either the subway or bus to pier 88. I have only driven to the port and have no idea. Questions are:

1. What subway line would put them the closest and where would the stop be?

2. Would a bus be better and any idea where to get it and drop off would be?

3. Feasible for 3 women to do this with 2 large suitcases and a couple of carry-ons?

4. My advice would be to grab a cab from Penn station to the pier. Any round about idea on what that would cost?

Thanks!

The PATH train is very feasible with luggage - I have used it to go to Cape Liberty. What station are they getting on PATH at? Not all stations are easily accessible, so it does make a difference where they are getting on.

PATH goes to Herald Square at 33rd and 6th. This is close to Penn Station, but it is not Penn Station. There is an elevator to the street from this station which let's them off next to Penneys on 6th Ave.

They should take a cab to the port from this area. I did the subway between Grand Central and Herald Square and it was an awful trip with unexpected stairs and problems getting two small suitcases through the turnstiles. PATH on the other hand has a wide accessible turnstile that is very easy with luggage.