Are there any "secret" cabins on the Maasdam?

Alberta Quilter

No. It's a wonderful location.

I'm booked in one of those on the Ryndam in February. However, on the Maasdam, we opted for a lanai and that was lovely as well. Depends on how much you want to spend.

ok will have to think about this as I am a very light sleeper at best.

• 4 months later...
I spent 35 nights in one of the inside cabins a couple of doors up from that short cross passageway. I will admit that more than once I was jostled awake as the ship was arriving. It made for one heck of a good alarm clock!

I didn't find it a "violent" awakening, however. And to tell the truth, I needed to get up anyway. I would not consider this a deterrent from booking in that area again.

YMMV

I'm also interested in these cabins. Some have mentioned noise when arriving and docking, but how about vibrations when under way? MDR and other aft rooms often vibrate on other ships?

Under the MDR is great. I generally book an inside cabin (usually cabin 400) for cost reasons, since I travel solo, and I love having a shower rather than a bathtub. But it is very quiet under the MDR. I have friends who have booked those far aft cabins and they loved that location. Enjoy.

We will be in 400 for the Atlantic Explorer (50 days) this year. If you have any pictures of the cabin interior or anything you wish to share, please contact us at c6a3b at Hotmail dot com

Thank you

Ole Salt

Re engineering noises at the stern, yes these ships to have a stern anchor but it is very, very rarely used. Engineering noises as the stern would normally result from changes in propeller pitch or use of stern thrusters which typically will only occur when maneuvering in port or an anchorage. I've had stern cabins on most of the S-class ships down on A deck and did occasionally encounter these vibrations for brief periods but it was usually when entering port and I should have already been up and about.

As a single traveler I almost always book an inside but prefer mid-ship to minimize the sensation of motion.

I'm thinking about booking a Neptune Suite on the Maasdam next summer. It will be our first HAL cruise.

I'm trying to decide between the SB cabins and SA cabins. What is the difference other than the price?

Since we haven't cruised on HAL before, I would welcome any insight anyone may offer me.

Thanks!

I'm thinking about booking a Neptune Suite on the Maasdam next summer. It will be our first HAL cruise.

I'm trying to decide between the SB cabins and SA cabins. What is the difference other than the price?

Since we haven't cruised on HAL before, I would welcome any insight anyone may offer me.

Thanks!

I don't have personal experience with these cabins (yet) but I think the only difference is location.

Location. The SB cabins are further from mid-ship.

When deciding, take a look at what is directly above you. If your cabin is under the carpeted portion of the Lido (the restaurant portion), it will be quiet above. If under the Lido pool area, you may hear some noise when deck chairs are moved. The cabins under the salon and spa should be quiet, though.

You might also want to check if the Neptune suite you're interested in is under the Lido overhang. You would need to decide if you wanted the shade it provides. We chose to be just aft of the overhang on the Ryndam, but there we did hear the occasional rumble of the carts of dishes.

Thanks![/color]

Last year we booked SB004 on the Maasdam. It was a great cabin. No noise from above and easy access to the forward elevators/stairs. There were little to no noise from the forward elevators/stairs. I heard more while in the Neptune than from my cabin.

A big Thank You to everyone who took the time to read my question (post #32) and answer it. I appreciate all the helpful advice and information you offered. I knew I could depend on you!

As soon as HAL opens the Summer 2016 Alaska itineraries, I will book a Neptune Suite and start looking at shore excursions!

People on the HAL board are always willing to help a HAL newbie!

Edited by JimAOk1945

Thanks!

It's just a way for HAL to charge more for the mid-ship Neptune Suites. I've sailed Maasdam in Neptune Suite about 35 cruises and for about 33 of them, there was one category Neptune Suite and that was "S". A year or two ago, they broke that category into two: "SA" and "SB" and charge more for the "SA". :D They are all good and aside from Handicap cabins, all the same.

It's just a way for HAL to charge more for the mid-ship Neptune Suites. I've sailed Maasdam in Neptune Suite about 35 cruises and for about 33 of them, there was one category Neptune Suite and that was "S". A year or two ago, they broke that category into two: "SA" and "SB" and charge more for the "SA". :D They are all good and aside from Handicap cabins, all the same.

Thanks Sail. This is good information.

There is so much to learn when considering a "new" cruise line. I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes by. I'm glad I found Cruise Critic, but I'm especially glad the folks on the HAL board are polite and kind.

• 5 months later...
Not at all from the anchor, but how often does HAL put out the anchor? Only at tender ports. The anchor (s) tend to be in the bow and not the stern??? Not sure if they are in both but I have only noticed them in the bow. I don't recall any vibration but we may already have been up and about as I am not a sleeper because of my work schedule. I hope this may change in a few years...

-I was in a great outside cabin on LP, near the bow,,, I could really hear the sound of the ropes being lowered (I thought it was the anchor) until we got to bar harbour and when they let the real anchor go :eek: big difference but again its a great wakeup call:D