Question about waverunners

DandyTwister

Hi,

We're going on a cruise in Feb./2015 and I have a question...I have always wanted to do a wave runner/jet ski excursion...but here is my problem. I am quite a large woman (around 200 lbs....shhh don't tell anyone that) and not physically fit. I am worried about my ability to get back on a jet ski if I get off it...on purpose or by accident...out in the water...how hard is it really (don't answer if you are a fit person...my husband would have no problems I'm certain)...just not sure if I would be able to haul my fat *** up onto it. What happens if I can't get back on?? I'd love to do this but I'm scared of this scenario (I am a great swimmer...so not scared that I would have to swim back but don't want to be embarrassed or stop an entire tour because I can't get back on.) Honest answers are appreciated. Thanks

I TOTALLY understand why you asked this question. I'm not really a big girl. Short, but not tiny. I have what I guess you would call an average build. And after working a desk job for 20 years, I am not what you would call fit at all.

2 years ago DH took me for a ride on jet ski while in Cozumel. He was driving like a nut and knocked us off. Now, honestly, I don't know if our body size difference plays into it or not, but I will tell you this.....I found out that its not so much about your size, but more about upper body strength. I also found out that I have NO upper body strength what - so - ever. :eek: I thought I was never gonna get back up on that thing when I tried hauling myself out of 20 ft deep water back onto the back of it. I finally did it, but it took a lot out of me.

That said, it certainly doesn't mean you'll have issues getting back on. Its possible that I'm just a big wus and like I said, I have no upper body strength.

So others may tell you that its no problem at all. This was just my experience and you said you wanted honestly so that's what I gave you :D I hope that you enjoy your cruise!!!!

When hubby was doing this a couple years ago, a woman fell off and hurt herself...the entire group was help up, just floating, until rescuers came out and got her out of the water.

That said, can you pull yourself out of a pool without using ladder or stairs? That's what it would be comparable to.

That said, can you pull yourself out of a pool without using ladder or stairs? That's what it would be comparable to.

The deep end of the pool. [emoji4] cause you'll have nothing to push off of with your feet but pretty blue water

Good question & good answers.

My son really wants to do the wave runners but he has a muscle disorder. I KNOW he could not get back on if he fell off. And he would be really embarrassed if that happened.

Thanks for the info. The comparison to getting out of the deep end of the pool, is exactly right.

• 4 weeks later...

We own a WaveRunner, so my comments are based on the solid experience of a couple in their mid-sixties. DW is slightly heavier than you and, since suffering a stroke a few years ago, has limited upper body strength. She was very apprehensive when we first bought it, but has found that reboarding is quite doable if she takes her time.

On the plus side, the WaveRunner and most similar watercraft have a small spring-loaded ladder/step to put your feet on, plus a grab-handle to pull yourself up with. The mechanics of reboarding are very different than exiting a pool, as some have suggested, and the process is made somewhat more difficult because the WaveRunner's initial stability isn't high. The trick is to first get yourself standing upright on the ladder/step, then stepping or kneeling on the WaveRunner's deck while keeping your weight centred and low, and finally straddling the seat from behind. Don't rush and you'll do fine!