What has improved on Celebrity recently?

Kevnzworld

I am asking this question because of all of the recent negative comments and posts regarding Celebrity's supposed cutbacks.

This is especially relevant IMO because Celebrity's fares have risen by 50-100% over the last few years. Most of the changes, upgrades and improvements are the addition of new for pay venues like Gastropub or the Lawn Grill. ( Both good concepts ).

I am asking however what has changed for the better in products and services that are INCLUDED in the cruise fare.....

One would expect some , if even modest improvements to help justify the recent steep rise in fares.

Here is one that we have thought of :

The Captains Club changes that give new and additional perks to Elite + members, like free coffee and 90 minutes of free internet.

We board the Silhouette for a one month B2B cruise in little over a week, and I will hopefully be able to post others, if they exist.

Edited by Kevnzworld

...Celebrity's fares have risen by 50-100% over the last few years.

I am asking however what has changed for the better in products and services that are INCLUDED in the cruise fare.....

What has changed for the better (from the Celebrity perspective) is their customer's desire to raise the amount they're willing to pay for a cruise.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

When we were on the Summit last month, we were surprised at how good the coffee was. I love coffee, but prefer typical American coffee not the espresso based ones. The coffee from room service and in the restaurants was excellent.

The food has improved over the last few years all around. I'm not a fan of buffets but the food last month was very good.

Celebrity seems to be making its ships in the image of a land based resort hotel.

They are focusing on the appearance of the rooms and public areas, they have multiple dining venues (often at a fee), they have numerous lounges, and they have their main show. Just like a land resort hotel they have upgraded their spa services (as well as upgraded their price).

While focusing on these areas they have cutback in other entertainment that has been present on the line in the past.

These changes may be considered to be improvements for many people and those appear to be the ones being targeted by Celebrity.

We usually sail in a balcony cabin. I have not seen the fares rise 50-100%.

Better: Food in MDR

Better: Food in Buffett , better quality, more variety.

Better: Variety of drinks in bars

Better: Pizza (a little)

Better: Free Coffee (on a scale of 10 it has gone from a 3 to a 4.5)

Better: More options for food and drink (although they cost ya)

The same, but did not need improvement: Those folks who take care of your cabin which is important to us.

The same: General attitude of the staff and crew. Professional and polite.

I don't know?:confused: Maybe they asked me when they made the cuts. Seems to be things we did not use.

We will miss the movie theatre on our next cruise. Something to do on sea days.

Edited by TomBeckCruise

The entertainment has improved since we first sailed on Celebrity. Aqua class cabins and Blu! We wiil pay extra for Aqua class if on a Carribeanj cruise but not every cruise.

Edited by Aqua water
Spelling

I forgot! DH loves the addition of the grill in the buffet in the evening! He has had excellent steaks there (also fish, chicken etc) and it is now a viable option when we are late back from port.

"Entertainment changes" on our 28 day Asia cruise on the Millie this spring, our favourite place in the evening was the aft OV bar with a wonderful jazz singer/guitarist. He was funny and personable, took requests and he had quite a following every evening under the stars!

Edited by Christine Frances

When we were on the Summit last month, we were surprised at how good the coffee was. I love coffee, but prefer typical American coffee not the espresso based ones. The coffee from room service and in the restaurants was excellent.

The food has improved over the last few years all around. I'm not a fan of buffets but the food last month was very good.

Patty -- totally agree about the coffee! DH and I were commenting that last month's Summit cruise had the first decent coffee we'd ever had on X -- well, except for the really good stuff that they've always served in the specialty restaurants. :cool:

Great question! Unfortunately, other than the Captain's Club improvements of last year, I can't think of anything.

Oh yeah, you do not need your life jacket for the muster drill.

Edited by richsea
thought of something

I am asking this question because of all of the recent negative comments and posts regarding Celebrity's supposed cutbacks.

This is especially relevant IMO because Celebrity's fares have risen by 50-100% over the last few years. Most of the changes, upgrades and improvements are the addition of new for pay venues like Gastropub or the Lawn Grill. ( Both good concepts ).

One would expect some , if even modest improvements to help justify the recent steep rise in fares.

Here is one that we have thought of :

The Captains Club changes that give new and additional perks to Elite + members, like free coffee and 90 minutes of free internet.

We board the Silhouette for a one month B2B cruise in little over a week, and I will hopefully be able to post others, if they exist.

Kevin,

Enjoy your sailing. We are currently in Barcelona, about to embark a different line for a 12 night Barcelona to Venice, five nights in Venice, then back to BCN for the TA on the Equinox to Fort Lauderdale. We will be in Rome/civitavecchia on the 12th - sorry we will miss you!

Dawn

Great question! Unfortunately, other than the Captain's Club improvements of last year, I can't think of anything.

Oh yeah, you do not need your life jacket for the muster drill.

I'm sure I will probably be the only person who thinks like this, but I see that as mistake on X's part that could result in the loss of life.

everyone should be required to get their life jacket, and everyone should required to put it on. You never know when your life will depend on doing that.

I'm sure I will probably be the only person who thinks like this, but I see that as mistake on X's part that could result in the loss of life.

everyone should be required to get their life jacket, and everyone should required to put it on. You never know when your life will depend on doing that.

I can't remember any cruise I've been on in the last 10 years requiring you to bring your life jacket to the muster and that's from Royal, HAL, Carnival and Disney. I remember sailing shortly after Concordia and wondered if the life jackets at muster would change, but it didn't.

Seriously, have people really experienced fare increases of 50 to 100%? We sure haven't seen this over the last few years. Yes they've gone up but not half again or doubled across the board.

The promotions 123 and Pick Your Perk are big improvements

Edited by Oville

I can't remember any cruise I've been on in the last 10 years requiring you to bring your life jacket to the muster and that's from Royal, HAL, Carnival and Disney. I remember sailing shortly after Concordia and wondered if the life jackets at muster would change, but it didn't.

I believe we did on HAL in 2005. We have not sailed with the since.

Sailed on NCL in 2010. I do not recall one way or the other.

Hopefully we will never need to use them.:)

I was looking for an answer to my question on the see-through showers in the Sky Suite. No one answered me on the sky suite thread so I turned to google. I found this

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/07/celebrity-cruises-ship-reflection-suite-shower/812200/1

Quoted from the article:

Lutoff-Perlo says there's growing demand from Celebrity's customers for elaborate suites, even at high prices, and the line has realized it needs more of them ... "The type of people we are attracting is a customer that is willing to pay more and is looking for these kind of accommodations," Lutoff-Perlo says. "We spend a lot of time listening to our customers."

I'm sure while some cabins - inside/ocenaview/verandah have remained relatively stable .... others have gone up considerably in price with more perks attached to those higher prices.

"We spend a lot of time listening to our customers."

How long have we been complaining about the website? LOL

I can see how rates would seem to go up 50-100% depending on the time you book. I've seen my fare rise almost $1000pp! That would fall between the 50-100%.

For the muster, on the Monarch in 2012, we wore them out on decks.

I haven't been on X since 2001. I remember the staff and the food was excellent. I'll see how it compares next month.

Is there really a grill in the buffet? Steaks are grilled to order?

Edited by whataboutport

I am trying to think of something that has improved and only thing that comes to mind is the expansion of the range of internet service to staterooms throughout the ship.

Looking at Alaska cruises, the prices overall are much higher than they were a few years ago.

I'm sure while some cabins - inside/ocenaview/verandah have remained relatively stable .... others have gone up considerably in price with more perks attached to those higher prices.

Perhaps suites fares have increased by 50 to 100% but they probably make up less than 5% of all cabins and if you drop out the S category, which does not receive the Suites Perks (except suites dining room), that number drops to way less than 1%.

Edited by Oville

I was looking for an answer to my question on the see-through showers in the Sky Suite. No one answered me on the sky suite thread so I turned to google. I found this

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/07/celebrity-cruises-ship-reflection-suite-shower/812200/1

Quoted from the article:

Lutoff-Perlo says there's growing demand from Celebrity's customers for elaborate suites, even at high prices, and the line has realized it needs more of them ... "The type of people we are attracting is a customer that is willing to pay more and is looking for these kind of accommodations," Lutoff-Perlo says. "We spend a lot of time listening to our customers."

I agree, probably Aqua and suites have seen the biggest increase. About that shower. I want to shower in that some day. Here is my recall, that no one can see you from the other side of the glass. not sure if I read it or someone told me. And I hope it is true, just pretend it is as you wave to people on the dock.

I agree, probably Aqua and suites have seen the biggest increase.

I think we've been really lucky and that's why the 50 to 100% seems over the top to me. I just checked 3 of our Reflection cruises. Here are the prices for the same A1 cabin: 2013-$1,299 2014-$1,279 and upcoming in 2015-$1,399. Our February 2015 cruise also has the bev package and $250 OBC for booking onboard.

Edited by Oville