Chichen Itza Excursion Niew Amsterdam

Cruisetrekker

I can't help you with that because I went there during a land vacation. One great bit of info a poster gave is to go on the Princess site and they usually have a step by step of how long everything takes. Of course they have to have that tour:D. I've found that info to be very helpful as it will give you a pretty good idea. Good luck!

Edited to say that Princess doesn't seem to offer this excursion. Sorry for leading you astray. You might want to call HAL's shore ex department. I have found them to be ok when I've asked questions.

Edited by cruz chic

It is a 11 hr. Round trip to site, and there was no stops till the site. We had lunch boxes on the tour. Such a site to see! We climbed to the top and it was so wonderful being up higher than the tree line.You can see for miles. We did this several years ago and we are lucky to have been able to climb to the top! Now you are not allowed due to the erosion. At the time one side was unable to walk up to top, and there was another side to be able to climb up. Very, very narrow steps! I held on to a guide rope going up and down! The tour guide was very informative and gave great history. It is a very long ride to site! Along the way on occasion we would see small villages. Before you get to site, there is a beautiful small hotel near entrance. Very crowed. We were late coming back and the ship had to wait for us! Only do tour from HAL. Got in around 11:00 pm.

We brought water, and they gave water also. 2011 was our trip. This is our 3 rd cruise with our Favorite ship!

3STAR MARINER becoming 4 on next cruise

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam western/eastern Caribbean Cruise 3/15/2015

We climbed to the top and it was so wonderful being up higher than the tree line.You can see for miles. We did this several years ago and we are lucky to have been able to climb to the top! Now you are not allowed due to the erosion. At the time one side was unable to walk up to top, and there was another side to be able to climb up. Very, very narrow steps! I held on to a guide rope going up and down!

I didn't know you couldn't climb it any more - like you, I'm glad we went when you still could. Boy did I ever hold on to that rope! I went down backwards.

Some of the local tour companies have an option to fly directly from Cozumel to Chichen Itza. Obviously more expensive, but that's the option we chose when we were there because we didn't want to spend so much time on the road.

Please go to HAL'S website to your cruise in January. Go to port excursions click on Cozumel and you can see the excursion and read reviews. I just did it. Pertty much says what I told you.

Hope it helps you.

3STAR becoming 4 on next cruise

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam western/eastern Caribbean Cruise 3/15/2015

I didn't know you couldn't climb it any more - like you, I'm glad we went when you still could. Boy did I ever hold on to that rope! I went down backwards.

Some of the local tour companies have an option to fly directly from Cozumel to Chichen Itza. Obviously more expensive, but that's the option we chose when we were there because we didn't want to spend so much time on the road.

You can not longer climb.

I would fly in a minute as opposed to the bus drive:p:p

It is a 11 hr. Round trip to site, and there was no stops till the site. We had lunch boxes on the tour. Such a site to see! We climbed to the top and it was so wonderful being up higher than the tree line.You can see for miles. We did this several years ago and we are lucky to have been able to climb to the top! Now you are not allowed due to the erosion. At the time one side was unable to walk up to top, and there was another side to be able to climb up. Very, very narrow steps! I held on to a guide rope going up and down! The tour guide was very informative and gave great history. It is a very long ride to site! Along the way on occasion we would see small villages. Before you get to site, there is a beautiful small hotel near entrance. Very crowed. We were late coming back and the ship had to wait for us! Only do tour from HAL. Got in around 11:00 pm.

We brought water, and they gave water also. 2011 was our trip. This is our 3 rd cruise with our Favorite ship!

Glad I did the climb when I did! The steps were tough and I had to do it twice as I forgot the camera the first time (someone else had it at the base, holding it for me - not smart)!

DaveOKC

Glad I did the climb when I did! The steps were tough and I had to do it twice as I forgot the camera the first time (someone else had it at the base, holding it for me - not smart)!

DaveOKC

I can imagine! I remember once my husband and I got to the top and I finally looked down I realized OMG now you have to go down! My husband had no problem and as for me it took awhile, but I made it and have memories!

Now our next place on our bucket list is Machu Phichu!

3STAR MARINER becoming 4 on next cruise

Sailing Nieuw Amsterdam western/eastern B2B Caribbiean Cruise 3/15/2015

I don't recall this being offered when we were with HAL in Cozemel several years ago. If you want to climb and have a fantastic tour, try Lamanai out of Belize. Great boat ride (after a bus ride that's not too bad) to the site and the opportunity to climb a really great ruin.

I would love to visit CI some day...appreciate the info on this as I'm kind of a Mayan ruin junkie.

CruzChic .. are you taking this tour ?

No, I've been there before. At the time I went I had no desire to go but I bowed to pressure. I was glad I went but this was part of a land trip many moons ago. I also thought tulum was pretty cool when I went there (different trip)being on the coast and all. I think I'm kind done with ruins.

We've been to many ruins ( Tulum and Tikal and Copan in Honduras ) to name a few but I don't think I am done with ruins yet .. LOL

I'm just not wired that way. Don't like churches and museums either. I think you'll enjoy your shorex. It is impressive.

I'm just not wired that way. Don't like churches and museums either. I think you'll enjoy your shorex. It is impressive.

Much like you ... we don't enjoy doing this sort of thing often. Once to Chichen Itza was enough for us BUT we are glad we took the excursion. It is a quite impressive place to go! :D

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers