Early Saver --- Glad or Sad?

dickinson

I disagree that all of the sales have been only GTY. There were sales for non GTY, but they just weren't as enticing as the GTY sales. My guess is Carnival wants to attract newbies to the line, who probably don't have a preference for location anyway.

I have used the ES program to my advantage! With all the GTY sales, pax are giving up their cabins and entering the GTY pool. I was able to leave my previous cabin and work my way up the ladder to an 8E lido for a lower price than my original booking.

Carnival has been pushing for newbies for a long time. IMO, they are their bread and butter. They don't know how to book independent tours, they don't know how to smuggles alcohol, and they see it as a vacation of a lifetime and therefore spend more money in general. Nothing wrong with their practice, it just upsets some veteran cruisers that they aren't being catered to.

So I started with early saver for my February 28, 2015 cruise. I submitted the form the last two weeks which resulted in a price drop and then a price drop which paid off my cruise and left me with $150 OBC. I called to ask a question about my booking that I couldn't figure out online and the CSR said I had lost my ES. I thought ES gave me price protection as long as it wasn't a down grade or guaranty. So now I'm not sure if I still qualify for those ES price guarantees after final payment or if final payment date is last time I can get a drop. So confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think your CSR was misinformed. I know when you book ES, and price match, you are then booked under that new promotion, but that doesn't change the fact that you are booked ES. Otherwise, each person booked with ES would only qualify for one promotion.

I think your CSR was misinformed. I know when you book ES, and price match, you are then booked under that new promotion, but that doesn't change the fact that you are booked ES. Otherwise, each person booked with ES would only qualify for one promotion.

That's what I thought. Thank you

Being happy or unhappy with your rate when you book is not relevant to the discussion. As I understand it, the issue being discussed deals with the early saver loopholes that allow Carnival to offer significant discounts for GTY cabins to those who book at the very last minute. The intent of the program is to offer the best price to those who book early. The reality is that those who are booking two or three weeks prior to the cruise get the best passage price via GTY cabins. Again, whether or not someone is happy with the price at the time they book is not relevant.

Not quite. The intent of the program is to offer the best price to those who want to SELECT their cabin. The super saver and pack and go rates, have always been much lower than ES.

Well, the wording attached to my actual reservation doesn't say anything about the same stateroom category. This is directly from the terms attached to my booking confirmation:

3) Early Saver:Cancellations prior to final payment due date will receive a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit less a $50 pp service fee. If you find a lower cruise rate,based on the total cabin occupancy& not from the booked ancillary services,such as air,transfers,prepaid gratuities,or government taxes & fees contact your Travel Agent or www.Carnival.com. Price protection does not apply to Super Saver,Instant Saver fares,group rates,membership rates,select promotions,or travel agent promotions. Verified rate difference is issued as an onboard credit. No name changes are allowed. A $50 fee per guest will be assessed for ship/sail date changes made prior to final payment date.

The highlighted portion is the language which states you can not price match to GTY sales.

Personally, very happy.

We booked in March for a cruise over Thanksgiving. We got a price and cabin we were happy with. After the final payment, we've seen price drops. The first two drops were small, and my online form was quickly approved. This last one, however, was significant. Three times my online form was denied, saying that the rates were higher than we had paid. But I was persistent. After all, a mock booking for the same category was showing several hundred dollars less. The fourth time I submitted, I was approved within 30 minutes. We now have just over $700 in OBC.

So for my experience, ES is great. If your reduction is denied, keep trying. Persistence pays :)

I need some help with ES, please. I have the Victory booked for May 16 under ES. We qualify for past guest (Platinum), military, and Florida resident. If the price drops (and so far the price hasn't changed since the cruise was made available for booking) and the reduced price is for one of the discounts we qualify for (military, for example), can we get the reduced rate but still retain the ES status?

Also, I have been checking the price the hard way (with a mock booking) even though I have paid for the "price alert" site. Could somebody please explain "fare viewer" and post a link for me? Thank you.

I was glad when we booked ES. We had several price reductions that led to obc, along with several upgrades, such as going from an IS to a BL. We did the BL upgrade twice using guarantee rates, but it worked out that we were in great locations both times. We are booked ES rate again for our cruise next summer.

It's just as relevant as these fictional "loopholes" you keep talking about. There are no loopholes. Everything is in black and white........people just need to take the time to learn about the product they are buying. If they want to throw their money around without learning what they are buying, then don't come crying here.

I will say, it would be really nice if you could actually complete the sentence instead of only stating part of it. "The intent of the program is to offer the best price in the same category to those who book early." is the correct way to state it and is what is posted on the Carnival website. You change category and you have stepped out of bounds for ES.

As you can see below, there is no loophole, everything is stated in plain English, and it is easily understood.

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx

Q:What is the price protection assurance feature with Early Saver?

A: If you find a lower Carnival advertised fare after booking your cruise, we will honor it, issuing the difference in the form of a non-refundable onboard credit. The lower fare must be: (a) for the same ship, sailing, stateroom category and number of guests (b) available for booking at the time you submit your request for the lower rate and © a rate the guest in the cabin are eligible to receive, if special restrictions apply.

Early Saver guests are not eligible to be protected on the following programs: Super Saver, Instant Saver or any other program that does not allow cabin selection at the time of booking. Price protection will be subject to the prevailing fees and/or fuel supplement if applicable.

THANK YOU! Geez Louise there have been so many people griping lately that Carnival is cheating them, it's ridiculous. Read and know what you are agreeing to. Plus, if you want to switch from ES to guarantee you can. You just can't do that AND keep your same cabin.

I need some help with ES, please. I have the Victory booked for May 16 under ES. We qualify for past guest (Platinum), military, and Florida resident. If the price drops (and so far the price hasn't changed since the cruise was made available for booking) and the reduced price is for one of the discounts we qualify for (military, for example), can we get the reduced rate but still retain the ES status?

Also, I have been checking the price the hard way (with a mock booking) even though I have paid for the "price alert" site. Could somebody please explain "fare viewer" and post a link for me? Thank you.

http://m.carnival.com/BookingEngine/FareViewer/

Yes. If the rate is lower for a sale for which you qualify, you are entitled to the obc. As long as it's the same cabin category.

I've attached the fare viewer site. The cost of the room category you are booked must be greater than what's shown on the fare viewer site to be qualified. However, if the taxes and fees are greater, you may not qualify for as great a price drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

was talking about

the part about they changed their res or bot a discount and carnival said they were no longer an ES .....

was exactly the opposite of what carnival told me when we were cancelling our prechristmas cruise this year due to a medical issue!

they were applying the penalty to me for the ES booking rule

however, I had only" booked" a "hold" using the ES rate, similar to one of the above that qualifies for military, platinum etc

we qualify for airline discount, platinum and by the time of the cruise we'd be seniors as well

I actually booked and paid for our room at an airline rate ( probably the same as their military rate ) however, Carnival said that since the room was originally booked as early saver ( even though it was paid as an airline rate ) that it would always have that penalty applied

THAT IS NOWHERE IN THE FINE PRINT! And I still have the original contract and booking emails with the booking saved. ;)

I did get a full refund of the deposit and cancellation fees but only after acting like a complere Jerk for about an hour and a half on the phone! As stated before, what it boils down to was my PVP could have known this but didn't and should have informed me, that I'd actually have to cancel that res before paying anything, return the room to inventory and request it again!

My wife deals exactly with this type thing at the airlines all day long and you know it, it don't make anybody happy!

so, as always, read the fine print, save every thing and print everything and then be as persistent as you feel is needed but don't get so bent outta shape that if ruins your fun!

AHOY SHIPMATE,

HI MOJO,.......WE ALL AGREE It is very confusing, and I believe intentionally

done so. Military discount is less than 50 bucks, far less that the DELTA discount. I don't know about the other airlines, Most of them have recip. with Carnival employees. win some-lose some

of the normal discount that's available way out most of the time with carnival directly

we just go ahead and book whatever airline discount they are offering, once final payment is in, you are done

but before, you can cancel anytime up to final with no penalty, and you do get price protection more or less since with no fee to cancel you could just cancel and rebook, if you see a drop, they always give us a choice of OBC or reduced rate if a lower rate comes out

we have used it tons of times with a guarantee and never failed to get at least one upgrade, and only one time did we get just one upgrade, ( fore to midship ) all the other guaranteed times we got upgraded decks, cabin grades, inside to outside, I think our personal record was 6 upgrades for three cabins one time

though one time, in a stinker, we could only upgrade with the kids, just a couple couple of decks on the liberty with an inside and a cabin for three while our "friends and family " bumped up about 6-7 decks!

anyway, we are till gonna be going on carnival a majority of the time, but I do keep and eye on the other lines, we have 5 ncl cruises ( silver ) and a couple RCI level 2 or 3 on them, because we got a lot more credit under their old plan than we'd have now with the new structure

no matter what rate anyone books, if they do it themselves they really need to study it out!

I almost always recommend new cruisers book that first couple cruises with a travel agent. Unless, they are traveling with seasoned cruisers!

I still remember people that used to see the ad in the newspaper and call up the number and book on the NORWAY! Shocked to find they booked a 7 day cruise for about 800 bucks and had a room with bunk beds! :eek:

I'm guessing all this price drops on some ships are based on occupation. If the ship is not selling, they drop the price but if it's sailing at or close to capacity, Carnival has no need to lower prices. Granted, their practice of lowering prices by using "guaranteed rooms only" promotions so as to not honor ES, especially after final payment seems a bit shady. I recently sailed on the Valor and this itinerary sails with close to a full ship all the time. I saw rates as low as $200 p/p LOWER than ES about two weeks prior to sailing. But I'll be darned if I was giving up my 8B extended balcony for a guaranteed balcony on my first cruise!! I ate my higher rate but got the room I REALLY wanted.

We booked two cabins for an upcoming trip. One was a past guest special rate with reduced deposits for a balcony and the other was an Early Saver for an interior. Was pleasantly shocked to check the other day and received a $315.00 OBC for the ES......BUT, was a tad disappointed that nothing was available for the past guest rate cabin that is currently on sale for $450.00 less than we paid. Called and they said I could've gotten a price reduction PRIOR to final payment (9/15) but rates didn't go down until afterward. Lesson learned about booking that rate.....

We booked ES last cruise & ended up with $187 OBC due to 2 separate price drops. That was in addition to the $75 travel agency OBC. Covered tips & some onboard expenses. The only hassle was that we had to call the travel agency & get them to do the price protection. I would have preferred just to call Carnival direct. But, I guess it was worth it for that $75 OBC from the agency.

In my opinion, Early Saver is a complete waste! They never honor price adjustments, so you are better off booking a better rate from the get go. I have given up on the Early Saver rates, taking screen shots - submitting - receiving denial - arguing with customer service. Not worth it.

In my opinion, Early Saver is a complete waste! They never honor price adjustments, so you are better off booking a better rate from the get go. I have given up on the Early Saver rates, taking screen shots - submitting - receiving denial - arguing with customer service. Not worth it.

There have been plenty of posts here that completely contradict your statement. :rolleyes:

I had one price drop denied. I called and they applied it. No problem.

I'm sure there are, but I was citing my personal experience. :)

The post that I quoted is not a personal experience (see the highlighted part). You made a false statement which I corrected.

I do not use ES. The potential saving is not worth the restrictions to me. And nowadays more and more post final payment sales are guarantee sales and technically do not comply with ES. Sometimes Carnival grants the lower price but they are not obligated to. So the advantage of ES is diminished compared to a few years ago.