Has MDR food improved since February 2013 ?

mickey89

see, THIS actually excites us. . (as I noted we're foodies).

so something that others might see and immediately head to the "always available" menu?. . that will get us ordering it in a second. We like to try anything that sounds interesting -- particularly in a situation (such as a cruise), where if you DON'T like it, you can replace it with something else, but you've gotten to try it.

I only hope the quality of the food is decent.

It was the Oosterdam that had crocodile and kangaroo offered (not on the same nights). Had those been in addition to the customary number and types of selections, fine. But these replaced something less, shall we say, adventurous.

Those were "always available" nights for me, so I can't report on whether or not they were "decent" quality.

I wouldn't be trying crocodile or kangaroo either. I do wonder if they taste like chicken:D;):D.

If they do, just serve chicken. :rolleyes:

When we were in Florida, my husband used to like to go to a particular restaurant that served alligator. He used to say that tasted like chicken, so I guess it's possible that crocodile does, too.

It was the Oosterdam that had crocodile and kangaroo offered (not on the same nights). Had those been in addition to the customary number and types of selections, fine. But these replaced something less, shall we say, adventurous.

Those were "always available" nights for me, so I can't report on whether or not they were "decent" quality.

completely understood.

not everyone is a super-adventurous eater. I'm glad to hear that the always available options where there for those that wanted something they knew they would rather have.

I hope the always avail. dinners you ordered were of decent or better quality tho? They absolutely should be (from any Chef with a decent career).

I wouldn't be trying crocodile or kangaroo either. I do wonder if they taste like chicken:D;):D.

why not try tho.

particularly in a situation like a cruise?

if it were me? I'd order the Chicken I KNOW I like, and then ask for a plate of the kangaroo special (we learned a while ago, they feel it's rude to ask for a small plate -- it offends the Chef to ask them to change standard plating, so it's better to just order the additional entree, and that way we both could try it).

:)

see, THIS actually excites us. . (as I noted we're foodies).

so something that others might see and immediately head to the "always available" menu?. . that will get us ordering it in a second. We like to try anything that sounds interesting -- particularly in a situation (such as a cruise), where if you DON'T like it, you can replace it with something else, but you've gotten to try it.

I only hope the quality of the food is decent.

(as I said earlier in the thread, I don't have to be blown away, I just don't want sub-par food on a vacation trip) :)

I'm with you! The more unique the entree, the more apt I am to order it. I love Uni and if you know what that is, you'll know I am not a normal type food lover. I think it's great they have the anytime items available for those who may be hesitant to try something different. Unique food items or not for everyone.

why not try tho.

particularly in a situation like a cruise?

if it were me? I'd order the Chicken I KNOW I like, and then ask for a plate of the kangaroo special (we learned a while ago, they feel it's rude to ask for a small plate -- it offends the Chef to ask them to change standard plating, so it's better to just order the additional entree, and that way we both could try it).

:)

Because I have a huge problem with wasting food. I'm not going to order something that I'm pretty sure I won't like. I don't like weird or fussy food. Shouldn't that be ok?

I think it's great they have the anytime items available for those who may be hesitant to try something different.

One can get pretty sick of the always available items over the course of a long cruise. The regular menu should be varied, yet common items so we aren't forced to the same steak/chicken/whatever every night.

The unusual items could be offered as a special, but there's no reason to cut back on the offerings we have become used to.

Add, don't subtract.

If they do, just serve chicken. :rolleyes:

When we were in Florida, my husband used to like to go to a particular restaurant that served alligator. He used to say that tasted like chicken, so I guess it's possible that crocodile does, too.

I've had alligator and we use to serve it at the restaurant that I worked at while gong to university. It was actually quite tasteless. We use to serve it in a spicy tomato based sauce. If you didn't add a certain spice or flavour to it, it was pretty blah. I wouldn't bother to ever eat it again.

I'm with you! The more unique the entree, the more apt I am to order it. I love Uni and if you know what that is, you'll know I am not a normal type food lover. I think it's great they have the anytime items available for those who may be hesitant to try something different. Unique food items or not for everyone.

I'm certainly not "hesitant to try something different". I just know what I like - quite frequently I've already tried something similar to the menu item and don't choose to eat it again. Some of HAL's forays into exotic foods tend to be disasters, so the tried and tested are appreciated.

Because I have a huge problem with wasting food. I'm not going to order something that I'm pretty sure I won't like. I don't like weird or fussy food. Shouldn't that be ok?

Oh. . I'm not picking on you, I'm agreeing with you.

I'm happy they have more unique items, and also have a standard menu for those that aren't feeling adventurous :)

I was just saying, that if it were me, I'd try it.

I understand your feeling on wasting food. .but it's a cruise, the food is all paid for as much or as little as you care to eat. So nothing is really "wasted". . especially if you end up liking it and cleaning the plate :)

but not everyone likes trying "odd" food. . so good for HAL to keep an always available menu as well.

agreed.

I love Uni too (it's sea urchin roe for those not familiar).

my partner wont touch it if I PAY him to eat it :)

Hey, it's not for everyone.

We were not that impressed with the food last month. We found things ok in the mdr. Some dishes better than others. But we wouldn't rank them as as high as they were a couple years ago when we sailed.

My biggest complaint was the lack of a vairety of fish entrees. I know on Princess and X I can eat a different fish every night. ( not just the every night menu salmon) In fact I laid off of fish for a couple weeks precruise because I know I do seafood almost everynight while cruising. Not this time! I really missed it.:rolleyes:

Although I like Salmon, they need more variety on the FISH. My wife does not eat seafood, so I find during our cruises that I want to eat as much as possible. Plus it's healthier, considering all of the other food we are eating while at sea. They need more fish varieties.

That is really cheap. Are these last minute cruises out of Ft Lauderdale?

If we paid that I would have lower expectations but we pay considerably more.

If you check HAL's website, you can almost always find a 7 day cruise to the Caribbean for $599.00 per person per per day plus port fees in an inside cabin. Of course the upper level cabin categories are most costly.

Food on HAL is decent but certainly not what is available on a premium line like Oceania. Food over 14 days on the Prinsendam was mostly good, a few things very good and some things were not good at all. Good does not mean great

we were on Princess last year and the food was just OK, and previous years on HAL I thought it was better than Princess. Went Oceania a few years ago and the food there is amazing, but dont forget the price is more than double than the regular cruiselines, but oh my goodness the food on Oceania blew me away.

I am looking forward to our upcoming HAL cruise, dont have to cook and everything done for me, just relax!!!!! Do they still have the bread pudding in the buffet? It is to die for. Marlster

we were on Princess last year and the food was just OK, and previous years on HAL I thought it was better than Princess. Went Oceania a few years ago and the food there is amazing, but dont forget the price is more than double than the regular cruiselines, but oh my goodness the food on Oceania blew me away.

I am looking forward to our upcoming HAL cruise, dont have to cook and everything done for me, just relax!!!!! Do they still have the bread pudding in the buffet? It is to die for. Marlster

Bread pudding was still in the Lido as of this past May.

Diane

Food on Oceania is out of this world and I'm salivating thinking about my upcoming Marina cruise. There is no comparison to Holland America.

I think Princess food has improved over the years. The food on our last two Princess trips was slightly better than our last HAL cruise.

I have to disagree with the last two posters. In my opinion, Princess food was inedible. After 3 disasterous nights in a row, we ate at the specialty restaurant for the remainder of the cruise.

The food was terrible, cold, and we had a surly waiter. To top it off, we couldn't get a 2 top!

No issues with Sterling. The food and service there was excellent! (On par with the Pinnacle)

I agree with you about Oceania's food. The food is their best asset. Everything, and I mean, everything, was excellent. But you are right, it is pricier. We went on Oceania last year(2013) to Alaska, and was able to grab a great price on just a standard OV cabin. With some Onboard Credit, and the fact that their advertised price also included the port fees, it was not much more than a mainstream line's balcony cabin. If you are lucky, or observant, you might find a deal. Amazingly this was in the height of the summer Season (4th of July).

As concerns HAL's bread pudding, yes it is there and yes it is excellent!

Edited by curtdesilets

I have to disagree with the last two posters. In my opinion, Princess food was inedible. After 3 disasterous nights in a row, we ate at the specialty restaurant for the remainder of the cruise.

The food was terrible, cold, and we had a surly waiter. To top it off, we couldn't get a 2 top!

No issues with Sterling. The food and service there was excellent! (On par with the Pinnacle)

That sounds like my experience with celebrity. You shouldn't be serving beef that could double as shoe leather.

Edited by cruz chic

We learned from a discussion with an officer on HAL that their food budgets have been cut while food prices have risen dramatically. They have no choice but to cut back on quality. I was served the most ridiculous piece of prime rib I have ever seen. It had about an ounce of meat surrounded by huge quantities of fat and gristle. I wish I had taken a picture of it.