Is there a link to a list of items not allowed on board/in cabin?

ocwine04

Call/Ask Princess and let us ALL know what they say about the coffeemaker. I don't think that they are allowed. If it could overload the circuit, could create a huge problem. I wouldn't want to be known as the lady with the coffeemaker that blew the circuits on the ship.

What ship are you going on?

Generally, most home appliances will not "overload" the circuit, but the fact that two or three cabins are on the same circuit may cause problems if all three are using 1500w hair dryers at the same time.

The major prohibition is on any item that has a heating element, whether or not it has an "auto" off feature. The auto off switches, as well as the normal on/off switches have been known to fail, and the heating element continues to heat until the appliance or something it is touching ignites. Your keurig will most likely not be allowed.

The only issue we've ever had on a cruise (and it was Princess) was with a power strip with surge protector that was setting off alarms on the bridge. We returned to our cabin one day to find someone confiscating it. They gave us an acceptable one to use for the duration of the (month long) cruise and returned ours to us before we disembarked.

finally, someone other than myself who knows that surge suppressors don't work onboard ships, can cause alarms, and can actually cause fires. They are not necessary.

What about Christmas decoration lights?

Are they permitted?

Yes they are permitted, but may only be turned on while the passenger is present in the cabin.

I've brought a 25 light string (incandescent on time, LED another time) to decorate the railing around the TV stand. The stewards informed us of the safety limitation mentioned above.

Edited by Times Prince

Pretty sure I read somewhere on this forum that Princess put electric kettles in all cabins whilst the Diamond Princess has been based in Japan (the Japanese like their tea). Perhaps someone who has been on her recently can confirm.

If they are on board hopefully they will remain once the Japan season is over.

Interesting to read earlier that surge protected powerboards cause problems. Thought they would reduce problems. Any sparkies out there know why?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

finally, someone other than myself who knows that surge suppressors don't work onboard ships, can cause alarms, and can actually cause fires. They are not necessary.

Saying they don't work onboard a ship is way to broad a statement. They can and do work but.....

Surge suppressors are funny things and depending on their condition, age or just construction they can cause problems but don't always. Cheep ones with bad QC will pass too much voltage to ground and that will make the ships sensors go crazy.

Buy quality stuff and replace them every couple years and you should be fine. You should replace them on a routine basis anyway. For you home a whole house suppressor is a much better idea that those ones on power strips and not that expensive.

How about microwave ovens. It seems like a good item to reheat leftovers from the MDR. Or perhaps a toaster oven.

I think you are trying to "pull someone's leg" or make a point with this thought !

Who has room in the suitcase for all this stuff?

I barely have room in our suitcases for my twenty pairs of shoes, ball gowns for formal nights, my tiara and DH ' s tuxedo and patent leather formal shoes . LOL !

Saying they don't work onboard a ship is way to broad a statement. They can and do work but.....

Surge suppressors are funny things and depending on their condition, age or just construction they can cause problems but don't always. Cheep ones with bad QC will pass too much voltage to ground and that will make the ships sensors go crazy.

Buy quality stuff and replace them every couple years and you should be fine. You should replace them on a routine basis anyway. For you home a whole house suppressor is a much better idea that those ones on power strips and not that expensive.

Have you seen the USCG advisory about surge protectors and marine wiring systems?

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

The fire danger is that with the floating ground of marine systems, another ground somewhere on the ship can cause the surge protector to malfunction, and the fact that marine systems use two hot conductors, not a hot and neutral, so that MARINE surge suppressors open both legs of the circuit, not just one.

What exactly do you need a surge suppressor for onboard? There are no voltage spikes like you may see when utilities have brown outs or blackouts. The only possibility would be to prevent damage from a lightning strike on the ship, which is extremely rare, and tends to be limited to equipment close to the strike since the hull acts as a good ground.

On my most recent cruise, during the muster drill safety

announcement of what was prohibited, they said:

"non-thermostatically controlled kettles"

To me, this says thermostatically controlled kettles are allowed.

But, I know that are more literal correspondents here.

I have one that is thermostatically controlled. It heats water and shuts itself off.

I have never had it confiscated. It was checked out by a steward once, but they let me keep it.

And the port of Los Angeles (San Pedro) confiscated scissors once from our carry on. Strange. We were doing B2B cruises, and simply walked off on turnaround day with a carry on suitcase, collected the scissors, put them in the suitcase and handed it to a porter. It was delivered to our cabin with no issue. Never have quite understood the issue with that one; we've traveled with the same small scissors for years and they were never before confiscated.

The security screening at the Port of Los Angeles was a LOT more intense than I have ever seen before.

They were checking the wine bottles, water bottles, and just being, in my opinion, a little more belligerent than in times past.

He asked if I had any open bottles of water. No.

I did have a small cooler with a few small cans of Dr. Pepper (Dh's drink of choice, besides beer ;)) and three bottles of water.

He looked at the cans, shook the water, but ignored my bottle of Grenadine that was obviously NOT a store-bought bottle. Heck, I could have put anything in there.

Then he told me to go to the table and register my TWO bottles of wine.

um.........yeah.....sure :cool:

Another agent was inspecting the bottoms of my friend's wine bottles. She had an open water bottle, but it was never inspected.

Other friends got on with little to no issues. Guess it depends on what agent you get.

We are not kids, either. To me, that would have been more understandable had this been a weekend party cruise on a different line.....

I did everything right, yet it kind of started the cruise out on a bit of a sour note.

How about microwave ovens. It seems like a good item to reheat leftovers from the MDR. Or perhaps a toaster oven.

Great idea. But I prefer to bring a hibachi so I can cook the fish I catch off my balcony. The big problem is getting my stink bait on to the ship. The rum runners leaked last time.

great idea. But i prefer to bring a hibachi so i can cook the fish i catch off my balcony. The big problem is getting my stink bait on to the ship. The rum runners leaked last time.

LOL! :d:d:d

Edited by shredie

The security screening at the Port of Los Angeles was a LOT more intense than I have ever seen before.

They were checking the wine bottles, water bottles, and just being, in my opinion, a little more belligerent than in times past.

I did have a small cooler with a few small cans of Dr. Pepper (Dh's drink of choice, besides beer ;)) and three bottles of water.

He looked at the cans, shook the water, but ignored my bottle of Grenadine that was obviously NOT a store-bought bottle. Heck, I could have put anything in there.

Another agent was inspecting the bottoms of my friend's wine bottles. She had an open water bottle, but it was never inspected.

Other friends got on with little to no issues. Guess it depends on what agent you get.

We are not kids, either. To me, that would have been more understandable had this been a weekend party cruise on a different line.....

I did everything right, yet it kind of started the cruise out on a bit of a sour note.

That is a little over the top inspecting. They must be catching a load of smugglers on every boarding.

If Florida gets as bad I'll have to step up my concealment techniques. ;)

[quote name='ASeaPrincess1']I have one that is thermostatically controlled. It heats water and shuts itself off.
I have never had it confiscated. It was checked out by a steward once, but they let me keep it.

I did everything right, yet it kind of started the cruise out on a bit of a sour note.[/QUOTE]

What's suspicious about the bottom of a wine bottle? Sounds like they were practicing for an airport job.