Ideas for DCL Cruisers watching Sodium

bsddsc

We love DCL and can't wait for our upcoming Nov. 9th sailing, our 15th DCL.

But last year, we both suffered from extreme over dosing of sodium. Besides high blood pressure there were other symptoms which I wont mention here. Within 48 hours of being home and eating normal, we were both fine again.

Therefore, I want to offer a few hints to those about what to avoid on a daily basis. Also, what potassium rich foods you can pick up each morning on the buffet to help absorb the excess you are bound to eat during the day. These are items we see on every DCL cruise and that is why I am posting it here.

AVOID - bacon, sausage, hash (really bad), smoked fish (which is such a treat for us but we really over did the fish)

POTASSIUM RICH FOODS TO SNACK ON - yogurt, dried apricots and prunes, carrot or orange juice, milk, soybeans, any green leafy vegetables, beans, bananas. Sweet potatoes are at the top of the list but can't say as I have ever seen them on DCL.

Keep hydrated with water. We often forget to drink lots of water while we are cruising. I wrote DCL trying to see if they had any nutritional data on their everyday foods, and they do not. Specifically wanted to know about the scrambled eggs in the AM or burgers on deck during the day.

As always, speak with your Head Server and Servers about any issues you have. They can alert you to brined and salted foods at dinner. You can also ask to speak with one of the Head Chefs when you board about the other dining options.

We're both going to pay closer attention to what we eat this time. Its hell getting older, things creep up you don't expect. But we still want to have fun an relax on our DCL vacations.

We love DCL and can't wait for our upcoming Nov. 9th sailing, our 15th DCL.

But last year, we both suffered from extreme over dosing of sodium. Besides high blood pressure there were other symptoms which I wont mention here. Within 48 hours of being home and eating normal, we were both fine again.

Therefore, I want to offer a few hints to those about what to avoid on a daily basis. Also, what potassium rich foods you can pick up each morning on the buffet to help absorb the excess you are bound to eat during the day. These are items we see on every DCL cruise and that is why I am posting it here.

AVOID - bacon, sausage, hash (really bad), smoked fish (which is such a treat for us but we really over did the fish)

POTASSIUM RICH FOODS TO SNACK ON - yogurt, dried apricots and prunes, carrot or orange juice, milk, soybeans, any green leafy vegetables, beans, bananas. Sweet potatoes are at the top of the list but can't say as I have ever seen them on DCL.

Keep hydrated with water. We often forget to drink lots of water while we are cruising. I wrote DCL trying to see if they had any nutritional data on their everyday foods, and they do not. Specifically wanted to know about the scrambled eggs in the AM or burgers on deck during the day.

As always, speak with your Head Server and Servers about any issues you have. They can alert you to brined and salted foods at dinner. You can also ask to speak with one of the Head Chefs when you board about the other dining options.

We're both going to pay closer attention to what we eat this time. Its hell getting older, things creep up you don't expect. But we still want to have fun an relax on our DCL vacations.

You can also call DCL before you cruise and have them note that you would like a low sodium dietary restriction and the waiters and chefs will work with you.

Yes, we already did that. As we have learned from traveling with friends with severe food allergies, its noted on the reservation. But you must talk to people on board for the specifics. They didn't actually do anything until you speak with someone on board. My friend was given the next day's menu every night at dinner so he could pre-order a dinner based on recommendations from the staff.

They even do special menus for Castaway Cay. (but we don't need that) Considering they have been in operation since 1998, I would expect nutritional information to be available for foods they have been serving day in and day out since then. Even on the ship, they don't know. Its just the chefs telling you how they make things and what to avoid.