A/C Problem on Golden this week.

atdahop

John, I'll be on board for several cruises so can give you an update as soon as I know something.

Stacey

PS Just noticed that our sailing time has changed from 4PM to 11PM so hopefully they will get this situation fixed while in San Pedro.

Sounds like they're going to have divers in the water, clearing intakes...

"To make guests as comfortable as possible[,] we have decreased air conditioning flow to crew cabins and back-of-house work areas." Wow, that's rough. I feel sorry for the poor crew. No a/c is bad enough but having to dress in a hot uniform, including tights!, and do physical work -- how miserable. At least passengers can flop on a lounger outside and enjoy the breeze with a cool drink.

"To make guests as comfortable as possible[,] we have decreased air conditioning flow to crew cabins and back-of-house work areas." Wow, that's rough. I feel sorry for the poor crew. No a/c is bad enough but having to dress in a hot uniform, including tights!, and do physical work -- how miserable. At least passengers can flop on a lounger outside and enjoy the breeze with a cool drink.

I'm hoping they relaxed the dress standards for crew and staff a bit, at least for those behind-the-scenes!

Edited by Ryndam2002

In recognition of these unusual circumstances, Princess Cruises has worked closely with Atlantis Events to refund a significant portion of the cruise charter fare allowing Atlantis Events to apply a generous onboard credit to the stateroom folio of every person on the cruise. The credit applied to your onboard folio last night can be used towards any and all purchases. Any amount unused will be refunded directly to each guest at the end of your cruise.

It's unclear to me whether the OBC was extended to everyone or just some charter group. (Atlantis Events?)

Sounds like they're going to have divers in the water, clearing intakes...

Actually, this kind of situation tends to be self-limiting. What has happened is that mussels have gotten into the sea water pipes and attached themselves and grown fat, dumb, and happy using the ship's pumps to draw nutrient laden water past them. When a temperature inversion happens in the sea water, the mussels die off and then they break off from the sides of the pipes, and travel to the strainers. Once all the mussels in the pipes die off, the problem goes away for a year or so, until the mussel population again gets pretty large and another unusual temperature layer is encountered. This happens all the time in the Northeast, when the warm Gulf Stream varies it's track, and the water temperature fluctuates.

I'm surprised that they are not having problems keeping the engines running, since the same problem will be affecting the sea water cooling for them as well. The engine room crew will be working round the clock, constantly opening and cleaning strainers.

I'm hoping they relaxed the dress standards for crew and staff a bit, at least for those behind-the-scenes!

A few years ago, there was a complete power failure on Emerald

during the early evening. It lasted a couple hours.

This was during dinner seating, and the dinner continued,

even though it got to 90+ in the dining room.

There was a near riot because the head waiters made the

waiters keep their jackets on during service, because that

was the uniform required.

...the extremely warm sea water temperature was causing large numbers of mussels to be pulled into our filtration system clogging the filters...

Menu Special from the Main Dining Rooms: STEAMED MUSSELS!!!

...To make guests as comfortable as possible we have decreased air conditioning flow to crew cabins and back-of-house work areas...

So the crew will suffer...and may not be the most cheerful...and the ones in the kitchen making your dinner will be sweating profusely while doing it...

...sailing north to cooler waters....

Our cruise next month is a short one--only going to Ensenada and back...Hopefully, those are the "cooler waters" they are talking about and there won't be a mussel problem...I hope...

Actually, this kind of situation tends to be self-limiting. What has happened is that mussels have gotten into the sea water pipes and attached themselves and grown fat, dumb, and happy using the ship's pumps to draw nutrient laden water past them. When a temperature inversion happens in the sea water, the mussels die off and then they break off from the sides of the pipes, and travel to the strainers. Once all the mussels in the pipes die off, the problem goes away for a year or so, until the mussel population again gets pretty large and another unusual temperature layer is encountered. This happens all the time in the Northeast, when the warm Gulf Stream varies it's track, and the water temperature fluctuates.

I'm surprised that they are not having problems keeping the engines running, since the same problem will be affecting the sea water cooling for them as well. The engine room crew will be working round the clock, constantly opening and cleaning strainers.

Interesting post. Thanks!

I'm in the waiting area inside the port now...we'll see! They aren't giving any indication -yet- that there is a problem. :)

Can't wait too see.....We sail on her in a couple of weeks and one of our office workers get on her next Monday

That sounds very generous. Lets see how many gripes still show up on message boards. :rolleyes:

\facetious mode on\I don't think its fair at all! They should have had free steamed mussel pots for all!\end facetious mode.

PS Princess let me on board, I can solve this issue. Just stock up on white wine and butter!

Just looked at the Golden bridge cam and they are still alongside in San Pedro at 0347Z or 8:47 PM PDT. I wonder if they are spending the night there.

The itinerary was changed a day or two ago to show an 11 p.m. departure.

Jim

Lots more beginning to make sense. Got a hint on another thread about Golden that she recently transitioned from Alaska (don't follow the ships' itineraries that closely), so a transition from a summer in Alaska to maybe one or two CA coastals, and then to Mexico could definitely cause a mussel breeding/die off. Interesting that they haven't experienced this before, may just be a variation in coastal currents that gave higher than normal sea temps.

I'll admit I was skeptical when Princess first announced the cause as higher sea temps, but the mussel fouling makes a whole lot of sense to me now.