Port Arrival Times Questions

lx200gps

Hi all..

Are the port arrival times quoted on the Princess itineraries in ship time or local time? We are scheduled to pull into Crown Bay, St Thomas, on the Regal on 19 November, at "9 AM", and I am trying to schedule a dive trip with Blue Island Divers, who are located at Crown Bay Marina. I'm trying to figure out whether I can safely make the AM dive, and if ship time and local time are the same, I'm good for the morning trip. If the 9 AM arrival time is actually at 10 AM local (depending on EST/DST and Atlantic Time), I may be out of luck.

Thanks in advance...

Hi all..

Are the port arrival times quoted on the Princess itineraries in ship time or local time? We are scheduled to pull into Crown Bay, St Thomas, on the Regal on 19 November, at "9 AM", and I am trying to schedule a dive trip with Blue Island Divers, who are located at Crown Bay Marina. I'm trying to figure out whether I can safely make the AM dive, and if ship time and local time are the same, I'm good for the morning trip. If the 9 AM arrival time is actually at 10 AM local (depending on EST/DST and Atlantic Time), I may be out of luck.

Thanks in advance...

Local time. Princess changes ship time to match local time. "Blue Island Divers" will know when the ship arrives, and even if the ship is delayed they will know.

We are scheduled to pull into Crown Bay, St Thomas, on the Regal on 19 November, at "9 AM", and I am trying to schedule a dive trip with Blue Island Divers, who are located at Crown Bay Marina.

From crown bay marina, they can see the ship approach, and

watch it dock.

In addition, they can listen to ship / pilot / harbormaster

on marine band radio.

Your dive charter will know EXACTLY what time the ship arrive.

Just do what they say...

From crown bay marina, they can see the ship approach, and

watch it dock.

In addition, they can listen to ship / pilot / harbormaster

on marine band radio.

Your dive charter will know EXACTLY what time the ship arrive.

Just do what they say...

Thanks, I'm well aware THEY will know when the ship docks. I'm more concerned about ME knowing the schedule ahead of time so I can plan accordingly.

Hi all..

Thanks in advance...

I'm am not sure I understand your problem. If the ship arrives at 9 am ship time and it is 10 am local time what is the problem? Blue Island divers would go out of business if they didn't arrange their schedule to the ship's schedule.

Believe me, I have been on St. Thomas as well as other Caribbean islands and the tour people on the island know when the ships arrive and they will be there to greet you.No tour operator is going to make you wait around for an hour because of a difference in time.

Thanks, I'm well aware THEY will know when the ship docks. I'm more concerned about ME knowing the schedule ahead of time so I can plan accordingly.

Why don't you just ask the dive charter?

Tell them what ship you are on, and ask if you can make the x:yy time?

I think it is highly likely that they are scheduling their departures to

accomodate passengers on ships at crown bay.

I understand your dilemma. Princess has adjusted their time to local time in almost every port of call to which I have sailed. The only port in recent years I remember where they did not adjust to local time was Puerto Vallarta. They changed to mountain time in Cabo but they did not change to central time in PV. Ship's time was off local time by an hour in PV.

The last few times I was in St. Thomas they did change to local time, but I have not been there in 3-4 years. Maybe someone who has been to St. Thomas recently will respond to confirm that they still do change to local time.

On our Princess cruises (32 of them), the ship time has always been adjusted to equal local time.

They did not do so on my recent five-day from Fort Lauderdale to Cozumel and Costa Maya. They stayed on eastern time throughout although the Mexican ports were an hour earlier

Why don't you just ask the dive charter?

Tell them what ship you are on, and ask if you can make the x:yy time?

I think it is highly likely that they are scheduling their departures to

accomodate passengers on ships at crown bay.

I have consulted them, and they say they should be able to do a special mid-morning trip for the folks off the Regal. IOW, their normal AM charter seems to have left too early for us to make it. There are five ships in St Thomas that day, and I suspect the Regal arrives a bit late relative to the others. So far, Blue Island is living up to their reputation for super customer service.

Also, my scheduling issues regarding ship time vs local time also related to other activities for the day.

Thanks for all the advice.

Also, my scheduling issues regarding ship time vs local time also related to other activities for the day.

Thanks for all the advice.

Keep in mind too that there will be some time between docking and getting off the ship. The ship may dock at 9 am but they have to set the gangway and gt the ship cleared with the local authorities-that usually takes a few minutes. Long before then, however, the line to get off the ship starts forming. We were there we got into the line about 1/2 an hour before the official docking time and the line stretched from the exit to the atrium on deck 5. By 10 minutes to departure time, the line snaked around the atrium 3 times. Now, the line does move quickly, but it does take a little extra time to get off the ship if you are at the end of the line....

I have consulted them, and they say they should be able to do a special mid-morning trip for the folks off the Regal. IOW, their normal AM charter seems to have left too early for us to make it.

I have been to St. Thomas abotu 40 time. In my experience,

we have always changed to local time there.

Additionally, 9:00 is a rather late arrival. Other princess ships often

arrive at 7:00.

If you arrive at 9:00, many, many people will be immediately ready

to go ashore, so there could be quite a line for the gangway.

I have been to St. Thomas abotu 40 time. In my experience,

we have always changed to local time there.

Additionally, 9:00 is a rather late arrival. Other princess ships often

arrive at 7:00.

If you arrive at 9:00, many, many people will be immediately ready

to go ashore, so there could be quite a line for the gangway.

Good points about the lines to disembark, we'll be in line early for sure.

I don't why we're losing two hours that day, the Ruby is the only other ship listed at Crown Bay that day and they arrive at 7AM. As at today, per the Princess Web Site and our posted itinerary, the Regal is still listed as arriving at 9AM.

The worst is arriving at Grand Turk at like 1:00.

Every person on the ship is awake, ready to go, and in line.

It is true that at a 7 am arrival, you stroll off the ship in near solitary company, and later in the day everyone is feeling their oats.