Suggestions for an excursion to Stingray City!

We're sailing on the Rhapsody on the 28th and I was wondering if it might be better to book an excursion privately and not off the ship. I don't want to be on a crowded boat with a 100 other people! Is it too late to book one since it's a little over a week away? Any suggestions on a good tour operator and how to get a hold of them? Thanks! :)

When we went, we did the ship's "personalized" stingray city excursion. It was nice, our boat had a smaller group than the others and a very attentive mate who caught the stingrays for us and let us take pics with him and the rays.

We had Cruise Critic friends on board who went with Captain Bryan. Check out the Grand Cayman ports of call board for more info.

While in Grand Cayman we booked privately through Nativeway watersports. Their web site is http://www.nativewaywatersports.com and they were fantastic. We did the stingray city and snorkle. There were about 10-15 of us on the boat and they were so nice. We didn't have to pay until we were on their boat (you have to check with them if this is still the case) and it was much less expensive than going through the ship and we feel we got more personalized service. They even will hold a ray for you to get a picture with and they give you squid to feed the rays. After stingray city they brought us to an area (Coral Gardens I think) for some snorkeling. I can't recommend them enough. Your best bet would be to e-mail them asap and see if they have any openings for the day you will be there. If you also go to the ports of call board click on Grand Cayman and you will find tons of recommendations and advice there as well. Have a great cruise!

We went Captain Marvin's on the 3-stop snorkeling that included Stingray City. It was great. There were about 15 on our boat, including two of our tablemates. Another couple from our table went on the 2-stop excursion with Captain Marvin himself. They also had a great time, and they had not reserved it in advance.

Try Capt Marvin's. We used him when we went snorkeling and to Sting Ray City. Their office is about 6 blocks to the left off the tender pier. They take you to their dock by bus. They have a number of different size boats so each boat is geared to the number of people they have going to any specific place - Diving, snorkleing, touring, etc.

Their link is: http://www.captainmarvins.com/

We used Capt. Marvins also when we sailed on Rhapsody, but there were only 10 people on our boat. We had booked a two stop trip. When we got to the office, we were asked if we wouldn't mind joining another group for the three stop trip, but for the two stop price since that is what we had originally requested. It was the most awesome adventure.

We went Captain Marvin's on the 3-stop snorkeling that included Stingray City. It was great. There were about 15 on our boat, including two of our tablemates. Another couple from our table went on the 2-stop excursion with Captain Marvin himself. They also had a great time, and they had not reserved it in advance.

From what I've seen posted there are several good independent operators. We went with nativeway last Dec and had a wonderful time. As I recall there were 8 people on our boat. It also included a snorkel at Coral Gardens and was about $30 per person.

-Monte

I had booked with Captain Bryan on the Bucaneer and heard from many sources taht Soto's Cruises would be a better excursion. Of course the Bucaneer has an open cash bar and a bit more of a party atomosphere. We actually gave up our non-refundable deposit on the Buccaneer to trade for Soto's. Soto's is $30 per person, small boat with a shower and free punch and water. http://www.sotoscruises.com

We did Capt. Marvin a couple of years ago. I think it was about $25-30 per person...can't remember exactly. We were about 10 people on the boat...we had Captain Kirk with a couple of Scuba guys who took videos of us during the whole trip, both above and below the water. We went to 3 different places....Coral Gardens, StingRay City, and another spot...can't remember what that was called. The first stop Capt. Kirk dove down and coaxed a huge Moray eel out from under a rock....he even petted the thing! We also followed him to where a nurse shark was hiding.....he coaxed her out and petted her too....some of our group also petted her.....I think he called her Matilda. Sting Ray City was amazing.....we got there before the "cattle" boat from the cruise ship came (had to be 100 people on board that thing.....we saw them land just as we were about to leave....utter chaos in the water). We not only fed the rays.....Capt. Kirk picked them up and put them in our arms to hold and pet. It was the most incredible snorkeling we have ever done anywhere before or since. (with the possible exception of snorkeling with the Giant Manta Rays in Tahiti). We bought the video for $50 (I'm sure by now they must be putting them on dvd's)....they did a fantastic job on it.....set it to some great reggae music.....got the eel, the shark, all the rays, and us snorkeling.....about 20 minutes worth. It's so good that we still play it for people at parties.

Used Captain Marvins, we liked the fact the boat wasn't over crowded like the ships excursion, only 12 people on board. We did the same a nansi, got the DVD video. Best money ever spent for a souvenir, freinds are always amazed everytime we show it to them. If you decide to use Captain Marvins, be sure to ask about the video, I'm not certain they video tape all their excursions.

We were just in Grand Cayman about a month ago on Voyager of the Seas. We used Nativeway and did the Rays, Reef & Rum Point excursion. It was really great, and only about 20 people in our boat - not crowded at all. I highly recommend them!

I really like the Catamaran of Capt Bryan's but Nativeway has a Sting Ray city sandbar and City tour. We wanted to go to "Hell" and to the turtle farm as well before we left and this incorporates all of the things we want to do. I e-mailed Nativeway at noon today (central time) and so far haven't heard back yet. I hope they have openings! :) Has anyone done this tour before?

We were just in Grand Cayman about a month ago on Voyager of the Seas. We used Nativeway and did the Rays, Reef & Rum Point excursion. It was really great, and only about 20 people in our boat - not crowded at all. I highly recommend them!

We have looked into this tour with Nativeway for our cruise in February. Heard many good things about Rum Point beach and the price sounds good. Our concern is that we are wondering if there is enough time to do all all three things without feeling rushed? How long were you at each excursion and how much traveling did you have to do? Any helpful information would be great and thanks!:)

De

Here's another vote for Captain Marvin's. We've used them twice, and I've recommended them to several of my cruising friends, who have nothing but great comments about them. Besides being small (10 to 15 on the boat), the service is outstanding and very friendly. Short six block walk to their office /store, and they bus you to the boat.

Captain Marvin's website

Hope you enjoy your time in Cayman. Its our favorite island!

We have looked into this tour with Nativeway for our cruise in February. Heard many good things about Rum Point beach and the price sounds good. Our concern is that we are wondering if there is enough time to do all all three things without feeling rushed? How long were you at each excursion and how much traveling did you have to do? Any helpful information would be great and thanks!:)

De

We did not feel rushed at all. There was more than enough time at each location and we got back to the pier in time for the last tender. In the morning, we met them at the pier, went across the street to their bus and then it was a short ride to their boats. At the end of the day, we were dropped off across the street from the pier.

The only benefit to a ships tour is that when we were on Carnival, They took us to Hell and the Turtle Farm also for one price. We chose to do more snorkeling on a different island so that we could take the kids to the other places too on Grand Cayman.

CruzLuvR: I am booked on Nativeway's excursion that goes to Rum Point. The description of the excursion sounds like an excellent deal and a really fun time! Do you remember how long of a time you spend in Hell and the turtle farm? Was it long enough to shop and mail a postcard from Hell? Are you actually able to go in and see the turtles at the turtle farm? Just seems like so much to do in 4 hours. I'm sure they have it down like clockwork now. :) Thanks!!!

CruzLuvR: I am booked on Nativeway's excursion that goes to Rum Point. The description of the excursion sounds like an excellent deal and a really fun time! Do you remember how long of a time you spend in Hell and the turtle farm? Was it long enough to shop and mail a postcard from Hell? Are you actually able to go in and see the turtles at the turtle farm? Just seems like so much to do in 4 hours. I'm sure they have it down like clockwork now. :) Thanks!!!

We did the Rays, Reef & Rum Point tour which does not stop at Hell or the Turtle Farm. It goes to the Stingray City sandbar, then a coral reef for snorkeling, and then Rum Point beach where lunch is included.

Archived