Aging down or up on Royal Caribbean or Carnival?

snoopy5386

We are tentatively planning a group cruise with some friends in March. At that time our oldest will be 3 weeks from turning 9, our friend's oldest will have turned nine 10 weeks before we cruise. It's a dealbreaker for us if we can't get the kids in the same kids club program. We don't care if they age down the 9 year old or age up the 8 year old, but they rarely get to see each other and having them be together is really important to us and we will choose the cruise line based on this. How do Carnival and Royal Caribbean handle aging up or down for their clubs?

Thanks!

Neither will be open to "aging up or down"...you are the age you are WHEN YOU BOARD the ship.

There will be PLENTY of time for them to "see" each other..they won't be in the kid's club all day long! And, they will "see" each other...they will simply have activities that are more appropriate for the AGE THEY ARE....

Some people have luck moving groups on Carnival, but it is completely up to the discretion of the children's program director. I wouldn't expect to be able to do this on a busy week (Spring Break, Summer, or winter holidays), but it might be worth a shot. We haven't had a need to do this, but my understanding is they are more open to aging down, than up.

I don't know what the age breakdowns are on board, but you're not going to have a guarantee of aging up or down no matter what line, so if it's a deal-breaker, you'll need to choose only a line that includes 8 & 9 in the same group. I have seen Royal allow a kid to age down - never up (and once the parents had insisted on it and gotten the approval for the aging down, the older kid refused to go with the younger kids - it was just the parents who cared). But it's always up to the staff on board, so the rule-bending can change from week to week.

Neither will be open to "aging up or down"...you are the age you are WHEN YOU BOARD the ship.

There will be PLENTY of time for them to "see" each other..they won't be in the kid's club all day long! And, they will "see" each other...they will simply have activities that are more appropriate for the AGE THEY ARE....

Thank you for your opinion, but I know from reading these boards that many folks have had positive experiences with having their kids moved to a different age grouping and I am asking for folks to share those experiences.

And please, it's not like I am asking to put a 4 year old in with 9 year olds, we are talking about a matter of weeks or a couple of months, depending on the age up or down, these children are the same age 9 months out of year, they are in the same grade, etc. Due to competing work schedules we have to vacation in the few months of the year that they are not the same age. If they can't be in the kids club together, they won't want to go to the kids's club at all. There are also 3 other children in our party who will thankfully all be in the same age grouping, we don't want the older two to feel singled out and not be able to be together.

I don't know what the age breakdowns are on board' date=' but you're not going to have a guarantee of aging up or down no matter what line, so if it's a deal-breaker, you'll need to choose only a line that includes 8 & 9 in the same group. I have seen Royal allow a kid to age down - never up (and once the parents had insisted on it and gotten the approval for the aging down, the older kid refused to go with the younger kids - it was just the parents who cared). But it's always up to the staff on board, so the rule-bending can change from week to week.[/quote']

The age breakdowns for the clubs are 6-8 and 9-11 and I think we'd all prefer the kids to be in the younger group, but they'd do fine in the older group too. We're planning to cruise in mid-March and I'm not sure if that's considered prime Spring Break time or not, it's not near Easter so I'm thinking that will help.

Regardless of some people's past experiences on board, I highly doubt that you will get any cruiseline to agree to do this in advance of sailing (especially since it is not due to developmental challenges, special needs, etc.).

Perhaps the person in charge of the kid's program might allow this once on board, but if them not doing this would ruin your vacation you will definitely want to look for a line that has 8 & 9 year olds together.

Mid March will have a lot of kids and the groups are separate and the staff is much more busy and NOT inclined to move kids around. We mainly cruise off season on Royal Caribbean and the 6-8 and 9-11 age groups were almost always grouped together anyways and one one cruise we had a 12 year old bump down to be with her friends.

• 1 month later...

The middle of March is likely to have a lot of kids on board most Royal Caribbean ships.

Across most of Canada, rather than Spring Break we have "March Break". It varies by province, but for most of Ontario, it's right in the middle of March. In 2015, March Break in Ontario will be March 14-22.

We sailed Oasis and Allure each of the last two years during Ontario's March Break...there were lots of kids on board (not as many as Xmas or US Thanksgiving, but plenty) and 40% of the passengers were Canadian.

For some Americans, Canada may appear on a map to be a northern winter wonderland...but Ontario has a population of over 13 million, which makes it larger than Illinois, Pennsylvania and Ohio. That's a lot of folks who are keen to escape winter, and lots of kids.

We are tentatively planning a group cruise with some friends in March. At that time our oldest will be 3 weeks from turning 9, our friend's oldest will have turned nine 10 weeks before we cruise. It's a dealbreaker for us if we can't get the kids in the same kids club program. We don't care if they age down the 9 year old or age up the 8 year old, but they rarely get to see each other and having them be together is really important to us and we will choose the cruise line based on this. How do Carnival and Royal Caribbean handle aging up or down for their clubs?

Thanks!

Which ships are you considering? We just got off Grandeur of the Seas, and because it is smaller ship, they combine The 6-8 and 9-11 groups for the entire cruise. I would not be surprised to hear that the other Vision class ships also do this as they are all roughly the same size.

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Any possibility of changing your plans by 3 weeks?

Then it will be a non-issue on any ship.

This, or go on a line that has the groupings that will work for you, such as Princess.

I would imagine that 1) usually the number of staff hired for each cruise based on the age groups will be set before the cruise -- based on DOBs that have to be provided

2) insurance reasons

3) past experience with parents assuring the staff that "My Johnny is mature for his age," which undoubtedly is not the case most of the time...

It is easier for the staff to decide to stick to the groupings (and may have been ordered to do so).

I often wonder (as someone did above) if many of these requests from parents are more about the parents' perception or desire to have the kids together. Maybe not in this case, but often big brother may want to be with kids his age and not have little sis tagging along. And the other kids may not appreciate having little sibling in their program's room.

I often wonder (as someone did above) if many of these requests from parents are more about the parents' perception or desire to have the kids together. Maybe not in this case' date=' but often big brother may want to be with kids his age and not have little sis tagging along. And the other kids may not appreciate having little sibling in their program's room.[/quote']

That's what I always wonder. My kids girls are twins, so automatically in the same group, but I often try to age the less mature one down so they're split up. No matter how much they enjoy each other, during a vacation we all need a break from each other. No one can get along 24/7, which it would be for them if in the same group. Plus, being thrown into a new situation on their own is really good for them.

On our RCCL to Alaska cruise, a father spent quite a bit of time arguing for his kids to be in the same group because they were close in age and it was vital for them to be together. The kids club refused to let the younger one age up, but finally agreed to let the older one age down. Of course it turned out that the older sibling had no interest in aging down and they both instead happily went to their assigned groups.

Edited by Kerry's Girls

• 1 month later...

I have stated before my soon to be 8 yr old dd has an anxiety disorder. I don't really want to get too into it but for those of you who may be familiar with the condition, she has stress induced Alopecia Areata. So when she gets stressed even the smallest amount, bad things happen. So we try at almost any cost to keep her from stressing or getting upset. Her sister who is 11 is her human security blanket when mom or dad can't be there and she has a stuffed turtle that goes with her to school and pretty much everywhere else. My question is would that be a special circumstance for grouping down if she insisted on only doing the kids area if big sister is with her? I do know that they have several group activities that they will do together so if they will not change it she can just do those, but I was just curious..just in case Turtle-ee alone is not enough security for her.

Please email the special needs dept of the cruiseline prior to final payment so you can get an answer in writing ahead of time and be able to prepare her for the outcome. I hope they will help your family so your daughter can have an enjoyable cruise

Edited by kitkat343

Thank you for your opinion, but I know from reading these boards that many folks have had positive experiences with having their kids moved to a different age grouping and I am asking for folks to share those experiences.

And please, it's not like I am asking to put a 4 year old in with 9 year olds, we are talking about a matter of weeks or a couple of months, depending on the age up or down, these children are the same age 9 months out of year, they are in the same grade, etc. Due to competing work schedules we have to vacation in the few months of the year that they are not the same age. If they can't be in the kids club together, they won't want to go to the kids's club at all. There are also 3 other children in our party who will thankfully all be in the same age grouping, we don't want the older two to feel singled out and not be able to be together.

The answer is still going to be the same - there are no guarantees and it's going to vary week to week ship to ship. There are countless threads where people have been told yes and others no. Other than that, I'm not sure what else you want people to tell you? Just because they have been successful does not mean that you will be. If the cruise line wants to refuse, they can.

As another said, if this is a make it or break it thing find a cruise that allows them to all be together or wait until you are certain they can.

Best of luck to you.

As a teacher, and from reading previous people's postings, I'd recommend that you very politely ask the staff to make this accommodation at a time when there are no other parents around to hear it (you are asking for a child to be moved over only 3 weeks, but if another parent overhears they may then ask for an even more difficult accommodation, and the kids club staff will be in a really tough position to accommodate your family and then deny someone else). You might also want to call RCL and explain the situation and ask them if they can tell you how many children will be onboard your cruise (this request, just like a request to move children in the kids club, is sometimes granted depending upon which phone operator you reach at the cruise line's headquarters. Some parents have had luck requesting this information ahead of time; others have been denied and told it is against policy to release this information.) A smaller number of children cruising means that you have a better chance of either these ages being combined on the ship for most of the day anyway, or of the kids club being able to accommodate your request.

But we all do want you to understand prior to going on the cruise that RCL has the right to deny this accommodation. I've read some unfortunate cruise reviews in which families stated that their entire vacation was ruined because the kids club refused to put their children or cousins together, and the children refused to go to the kids club and they had a terrible time. So I think all we want you to consider - prior to final payment - the possibility that this request may be denied, and decide prior to final payment if you'd rather go on the cruise and risk the possibility of the kids being split or if you should wait 3 weeks or find a different cruise line that will guarantee the children can be in the kids club together. I don't think anyone believes moving a kid by 3 weeks on its own is a terrible decision, but you might have a kids club director who has been burned in the past by a parent trying to move a "really advanced" kid up, and then after the placement was a disaster they simply decided to make a unilateral policy that no children will be moved in the future. Its possible something like this could happen, and the RCL policy would back them up so you would have no recourse if your request is denied.

Edited by kitkat343