Sea Bands ?

Sea Legs

Sea Bands are OTC and can be purchased at most drugstores and places like Wal-Mart, Target and many large food stores. Hubby says they work. He is unable to take many medications, such as the patch, as they interact with other prescribed meds. Sea Bands, ginger, ginger pills and green apples have saved several cruises. Interesting comment about hubby's sea sickness. He has felt ill in almost mirror smooth water and been fine in a pacific storm. We keep the sea bands in the travel bag and he can use them as needed. Happy cruising.

I'll say they work great. Bought a pair for my wife who has gotten seasick standing on a dock watching a boat on the waves. Bought a pair, threw them in a drawer and she never had one problem on the ship being sea sick!

They don't work for me ... but that wasn't the question.

I've seen them at pretty much every bigger drug store (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Shoppers or London Drugs in Canada).

Last cruise I saw the acupuncturist for motion sickness. He showed me how to apply acupressure (which is exactly what the sea band does). He used a LOT of pressure on that point. Like almost enough pressure to make you bruise - right in between the two tendons on the arm. I used this last night on a really rough flight and felt considerably better after applying very firm pressure for about 10 seconds.

So if the bands don't work straight off, apply firm, steady pressure.

I just ordered my replacement pair on amazon. I got the pregnancy version since they are a pinkish color rather than the drab blue of my last pair. Color is literally the only difference. You can also get psi bands (I believe that's what they are called) which are more adjustable than the sea bands.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They don't work for me ... but that wasn't the question.

I've seen them at pretty much every bigger drug store (CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid, and Shoppers or London Drugs in Canada).

Last cruise I saw the acupuncturist for motion sickness. He showed me how to apply acupressure (which is exactly what the sea band does). He used a LOT of pressure on that point. Like almost enough pressure to make you bruise - right in between the two tendons on the arm. I used this last night on a really rough flight and felt considerably better after applying very firm pressure for about 10 seconds.

So if the bands don't work straight off, apply firm, steady pressure.

If I may add a little to your very informative post, the pressure point you want to find is about two finger widths above the bend in your wrist. It seems to work for a lot of people, so is worth a try.

We bought a set at our pharmacy for my husband, then the next year, bought a set on eBay for our daughter....for a significantly lower price! So, if you have time to wait for delivery, check out eBay.

The two sets were identical in appearance, and I tried both myself and found them equally effective.

For something prettier, check out Etsy for a product called queasy beads. They come in many color combinations, and look like a pretty beaded bracelet.

Edited by terri-eddie

• 2 months later...
Sea Bands are OTC and can be purchased at most drugstores and places like Wal-Mart, Target and many large food stores. Hubby says they work. He is unable to take many medications, such as the patch, as they interact with other prescribed meds. Sea Bands, ginger, ginger pills and green apples have saved several cruises. Interesting comment about hubby's sea sickness. He has felt ill in almost mirror smooth water and been fine in a pacific storm. We keep the sea bands in the travel bag and he can use them as needed. Happy cruising.

Do you have to wear both bands to work or will only one work?

Etsy is a great place to find fancier versions of the sea bands. I just ordered some called motion sickness anti nausea bracelets from Etsy and they sure look a lot better than the generic version I have been wearing on my previous cruises. That being said, all versions work great.