Has the threat of ebola caused you to reconsider your cruise plans

sawtooth

They say they will deny boarding to anyone who has traveled in Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea within the past 21 days. But the only way they would know about this travel is if the passenger tells them at boarding. And I really don't trust people to volunteer this information if they know it will cause them to miss their cruise. (I doubt they have trained all their check-in staff to look through passports searching for the relevant stamps, and besides, some people have two passports…)

I don't think anyone knows whether it can be transmitted if someone is sitting next to you (full ebola systems) and sneezes into your face. A nurse who has treated ebola victims in Liberia thinks it possibly could. I don't think the CDC or anyone knows for sure. Only time will tell.

I will rely on the information given me by the health professionals at the CDC (and my own doctor) rather than the opinion of "a nurse" who "thinks it possibly could" transmit through the air. Scientific facts, proven through controlled research, are not the same thing as anecdotal opinions of bystanders. However, if it worries you, then you are within your rights to stay home and avoid strangers.

Edited by shredie

I will rely on the information given me by the health professionals at the CDC (and my own doctor) rather than the opinion of "a nurse" who "thinks it possibly could" transmit through the air. Scientific facts, proven through controlled research, are not the same thing as anecdotal opinions of bystanders. However, if it worries you, then you are within your rights to stay home and avoid strangers.

Absolutely!

If we don't trust the CDC where would one start?

Mike:)

Ebola does "worry" me as it should everyone. I am not hysterical about it, though. The CDC has demonstrated a level of incompetence that is shocking, IMHO.

Here's a quote from Tom Skinner of the CDC, who cited the Peters-led study as the most extensive of Ebola’s transmissibility, said that while the evidence “is really overwhelming” that people are most at risk when they touch either those who are sick or such a person’s vomit, blood or diarrhea, “we can never say never” about spread through close-range coughing or sneezing.

“I’m not going to sit here and say that if a person who is highly viremic … were to sneeze or cough right in the face of somebody who wasn’t protected, that we wouldn’t have a transmission,” Skinner said.

In others words, no one can rule it out.

If what is happening now is the worst that we'll see then I will happily cruise on Emerald in December. If someone gets it while on the flights in question then that is a whole new ballgame and would definitely make me think twice about going. I admit I am biased because my adult son is post multiple organ transplant and I would never put him in jeopardy so the only thing that any of us can do is watch and wait. I hope everyone who says there is nothing to worry about is right.They still don't know how to get a grip on this or they would have been making vaccines all these years in case of outbreak and not making some of the stupid moves that CDC and the hospital have done.

Ebola does "worry" me as it should everyone. I am not hysterical about it, though. The CDC has demonstrated a level of incompetence that is shocking, IMHO.

I agree regarding the incompetence but why is it shocking. I would be shocked had it been handled otherwise.

Have the family members of the gentleman in Texas that died gotten Ebola? They were in direct contact with him. I don't think they have, so far. If anyone should have come down with it they should have.
National news tonight stated that the family is 19 days through the 21 day possible incubation period with no symptoms at all. They also reported that one hospital worker who was in direct contact has cleared the 21 day period with no issues.

Also in the news today was the fact that the CDC, with an "overabundance of caution" was the agency that informed Carnival Cruises that a lab worker who "may have come in contact with samples" was onboard and should be monitored. The lab worker had shown no symptoms. The difference in self monitoring and the new monitoring is that once daily the person's temperature must be taken by a medical monitor, rather than twice daily by the self-monitoring person.

Edited by Times Prince

They say they will deny boarding to anyone who has traveled in Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea within the past 21 days. But the only way they would know about this travel is if the passenger tells them at boarding. And I really don't trust people to volunteer this information if they know it will cause them to miss their cruise. (I doubt they have trained all their check-in staff to look through passports searching for the relevant stamps, and besides, some people have two passports…) [/url]

My God man - should they take blood samples at the pier? A full medical work up?

Just read this - ranking threats to Americans:

1 - Heart Disease and Cancer

2 - Traffic Accidents

3 - Guns

4 - Climate Change

5 - World War III in the Baltics

6 - The flu

7 - ISIS

8 - your furniture falling on you or tipping over

9 - ebola

By scientific facts, I assume you are referring to proper studies, such as the one published in Science, "Genomic surveillance elucidates Ebola virus origin and transmission during the 2014 outbreak." Five of that study's authors died of Ebola before it could be published, which leads me, anecdotally, to conclude the virus is rather deadly and contagious.

There has not been a lot of "controlled research" on Ebola. A lot remains unknown. If you ignore "anecdotal opinions of bystanders," who have the benefit of actually seeing the virus in action, you run the risk of needless death.

The CDC tells us that it is absolutely impossible to catch Ebola from riding a bus, but that those who may have been exposed should not ride the bus. Do you really want to rely on the information provided by these "professionals." I believe them to be fools.

The CDC tells us that it is absolutely impossible to catch Ebola from riding a bus, but that those who may have been exposed should not ride the bus. Do you really want to rely on the information provided by these "professionals." I believe them to be fools.

You are absolutely right! We should all stay home in self-imposed isolation until someone develops an Ebola vaccine. Why risk going anywhere for anything if there's even a teeny weeny itty bitty chance of catching the disease from all the sneezing Ebola patients wandering up and down the highways on our buses? You have convinced me! :p

For all of us, the decision about how much risk we are willing to accept, drives what we do and how we behave. Ebola is scary, but is hardly at epidemic levels in the US or the vast majority of the world. It is also a disease that we have a lot to learn about, however I don't believe the professionals are fools. They are human beings doing the best they can in uncharted waters. They are not infallible. Additionally, there is the need to balance caution against restricting people's lives, over something that may or may not be as high risk for the general public as some believe. After all, if we want to be really cautious and if we want to protect against a much more realistic death threat, then we should ban cars and driving.

My God man - should they take blood samples at the pier? A full medical work up?
That was not my point. My point was that Princess's statement (about denying boarding to certain categories of passengers) is meant to reassure us, but it is impossible to back up with any effective action. I'd be interested to hear if anyone is "successfully" screened out and denied boarding under the new measures.

LIKE. :)

The hysteria reminds me of when AIDS was considered a death sentence, patients were shunned, and people kept their kids out of school, canceled travel plans, etc. AIDS is much easier to transmit than Ebola yet I don't think anyone has thought of canceling their cruise because an AIDS patient might be on the ship.

Speaking of misinformation. this place is full of amateur health experts spreading misinformation and made up opinions stated as facts. This place is the Peyton Place of the internet! LMAO :p Keep it coming self appointed experts I need the free entertainment!

Edited by SheriffJoe

I've got to Princess cruises planned, one in 7 days and another in January. I am not worried at all. I've been on a few cruises where the noro virus broke out - like on our last Princess cruise. We knew it was coming when the salt and pepper shakers disappeared off the tables. Then it went down hill from there. We've never gotten sick because we are extra careful. We'll get through these next 2 crises and see what happens after that.

Ordinary protocol does not require all of the body to be covered, just the more likely places (like hands) or mucus membranes (eyes, mouth) in case fluid was splashed or spewed in your direction. Just because some fluid from the patient lands on your intact skin, like neck, does not mean it will go into your body. Even if it lands on your hands, you just wash it off. It does not travel through intact skin, nor does it float in the air.

There are many assertions being made about this virus. Ordinary protocol does not require total coverage. There is nothing normal about this virus. The doctor who was flown back to the US did everything right in his professional life. However, he caught it. How? In his private life interacting with folks outside of work? The nurses did everything right. How did they catch it? If they are concerned. . .

For most viruses, you're right. You've got time. This one. . .not so much if it gets a foothold, which is what you want to prevent. As for not traveling through the air. . .yes it does when sneezed or propelled by some other method. That's even been on the news.

There are many assertions being made about this virus. Ordinary protocol does not require total coverage. There is nothing normal about this virus. The doctor who was flown back to the US did everything right in his professional life.

Yep, and you just made another one.

You have no idea what the doctor did or did not do.

Just read this - ranking threats to Americans:

1 - Heart Disease and Cancer

2 - Traffic Accidents

3 - Guns

4 - Climate Change

5 - World War III in the Baltics

6 - The flu

7 - ISIS

8 - your furniture falling on you or tipping over

9 - ebola

How about gaining 1 pound per day on average on any cruise. I'll take my chances!

Yep, and you just made another one.

You have no idea what the doctor did or did not do.

Well, Mike, I didn't make that up. The CDC is indeed puzzling over how he caught it. His colleagues are even wondering and have said very publicly that he was one of the most careful people they'd ever worked with. He's not sure how he caught it.

So. . .not making it up. Thanks for your snarky comment.

Well, Mike, I didn't make that up. The CDC is indeed puzzling over how he caught it. His colleagues are even wondering and have said very publicly that he was one of the most careful people they'd ever worked with. He's not sure how he caught it.

So. . .not making it up. Thanks for your snarky comment.

Not a snarky comment, just the facts.

Dr. Brantly has never said he did everything right and the CDC got involved after he was diagnosed. At some point he obviously made a mistake and there are many working on just that aspect now.

They say they will deny boarding to anyone who has traveled in Liberia, Sierra Leone, or Guinea within the past 21 days. But the only way they would know about this travel is if the passenger tells them at boarding. And I really don't trust people to volunteer this information if they know it will cause them to miss their cruise. (I doubt they have trained all their check-in staff to look through passports searching for the relevant stamps, and besides, some people have two passports…)

Everywhere you have used your passport is recorded in a database. It would be no problem for Princess to cross check where you have been 21 days before boarding.

There are many assertions being made about this virus. ...As for not traveling through the air. . .yes it does when sneezed or propelled by some other method. That's even been on the news.

Well, if it was on the news, it must be true! Why do all those so-called medical professionals think they are smarter than FOX or CNN? Obviously what those charlatans need to do is read Cruise Critic because all of the experts on Ebola are right here posting their "informed" opinions.

So. . .not making it up.

They said so on the NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!