Viva Vino wine package changes

Mikkar

Does the Viva Vino package have to be purchased before you board the ship, or can you purchase it once onboard?

Carolyn

It's not available to pre-purchase, Carolyn. There's usually a table set up somewhere.....often outside one of the main dining rooms or in the Atrium on embarkation day. Just ask one of the lovely members of staff, they'll point you in the right direction! :)

Does the Viva Vino package have to be purchased before you board the ship, or can you purchase it once onboard?

Carolyn

As has been said, you need to purchase it on board, but the nice thing is also that if you run out of wine, you can purchase another package and you can mix and match your wine choices.

Enjoy.

As has been said, you need to purchase it on board, but the nice thing is also that if you run out of wine, you can purchase another package and you can mix and match your wine choices.

Enjoy.

We normally only buy one 6 bottle wine package per 7-night cruise.

I just checked my receipts from our Getaway trip.......it shows THREE packages.....don't judge.....there were more adults that time!! ;) :D

But yes, you can always purchase another package!

We normally only buy one 6 bottle wine package per 7-night cruise.

I just checked my receipts from our Getaway trip.......it shows THREE packages.....don't judge.....there were more adults that time!! ;) :D

But yes, you can always purchase another package!

LOL, not judging at all, hopefully "a good time was had by all".

We usually get the 6 bottle package for a 7 day cruise too, however, our next cruise on the Sun will be all about relaxing and not too much gallivanting so we may have to up it to an 8 bottle package. :eek:

Cheers.

LOL, not judging at all, hopefully "a good time was had by all".

We usually get the 6 bottle package for a 7 day cruise too, however, our next cruise on the Sun will be all about relaxing and not too much gallivanting so we may have to up it to an 8 bottle package. :eek:

Cheers.

Oh most certainly a good time was had by all :D

I like the sound of relaxing and not gallivanting...well, not TOO much anyway! ;) Go ahead and up it to an 8 bottle package, I say, what the heck, you're on your holidays! :)

Enjoy your trip, and cheers.jpg.60d772e3e1b8776e1b8badb119e271d4.jpg to you too!

I love wine with my meals, but I know what I like, and feel the onboard prices are really insane. I usually order what I want online and pick it up on the way to the port. The company I use has stores near the port in Lauderdale, as well as in North Miami. I've checked the retail prices for most of the offerings in the new packages, and you might find this helpful. Sales tax and corkage fees are not included.

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

Retail

Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California $11.99

Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia $ 5.99

Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy $ 7.99

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay - South Australia $13.99

Beringer White Zinfandel - California $ 3.99

Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina $ 7.99

Ravenswood “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California $11.49

Rioja Vega, Criaza-Rioja - Spain $ 6.00

Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia $ 8.99

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia $ 5.79

Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California $ 9.99

North & South by Norwegian Cruise Line, Sauvignon Blanc - California NFS

Clos du Bois,Sauvignon Blanc-North Coast, California $15.00

Simi, Chardonnay - Sonoma, California $11.97

Estancia, Pinot Noir - California $9.97

Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California $15.99

Blackstone, Merlot - California $ 6.99

Estancia, Meritage - California $26.99

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado" categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California $13.99

Oberon, Sauvignon Blanc - Napa Valley, California $16.99

I'M Deep Rose Isabel Mondavi - Napa Valley, California $10.97

Isabel Mandavi, Chardonnay – Carneros, California $29.99

Bonterra Organic Chardonnay – CMendicino Valley, California $15.99

Spellbound, Petit Sirah – California $11.99

North & South by Norwegian Cruise Line, Red Blend - California NFS

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz - South Australia $13.99

Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa Valley, California $17.89

The downside to bringing your own cellar with you is schlepping a case of wine through embarkation because you have to have to pay for the corkage sticker which is placed on each individual bottle before you're allowed to board. But these prices will give you some idea of the value of the product offered aboard ship.;)

Unfortunately the NZ Sauvignon Blanc Matua Valley has disappeared. The only wine I drink onboard. It was in the mid priced range. It looks like I'll have to bring my own onboard.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Just returned from 14 day repositioning on the Dawn and am happy to report that Matua was available in the wine package and also at the bars. We were only able to buy the wine package the first two days however. Next time I will buy more!

I actually find the wine package one of the best bargains on ship. We always do a four bottle, since we do like to drink cocktails and beer, too.

Think of it this way. A bucket of beer is over $30 for six beers. I can buy a six pack of Sam Adams for about $7 on land. An over 400% markup. The wine packages are far less than that, unless you are only getting bottles that retail for about $5 or less.

• 2 months later...

As it is a new year now, and I know that policies and offerings often change, I would just like to confirm that the Viva Vino packages are still available. Can anyone confirm a recent purchase of the package (particularly on the Breakaway, if possible)? Thanks!

As it is a new year now, and I know that policies and offerings often change, I would just like to confirm that the Viva Vino packages are still available. Can anyone confirm a recent purchase of the package (particularly on the Breakaway, if possible)? Thanks!

I can only confirm from experience that it was still available in August. However I'm sure that if the package is ever discontinued then we will read about it on here.

cmdchiefthom - wondering who you order your wine from when in Miami. I am quite particular with my Big Cabs and prefer carting my own wines onto the ship. H have purchased from a small boutique not far from the Bayside marketplace, however, I have noticed their selection going downhill.

Any advice would be appreciated.

SM

I can only confirm from experience that it was still available in August. However I'm sure that if the package is ever discontinued then we will read about it on here.

Thanks. You make a good point about fellow CCers sharing information on changes. I don't suppose it would benefit NCL to discontinue it anyway. People who don't drink hard liquor won't buy the UBP regardless, as it includes such limited wine options. And, the Viva Vino probably does inspire some people to buy a bit more than they would otherwise. I am not sure that my boyfriend and I would bother buying four bottles if it weren't a package deal! And, as the lowest-cost package works out to about $25 per bottle total, it doesn't pay for us to schlep wine and pay corkage, so I think that NCL must make out better with the Viva Vino than they would without it.

I love wine with my meals, but I know what I like, and feel the onboard prices are really insane. I usually order what I want online and pick it up on the way to the port. The company I use has stores near the port in Lauderdale, as well as in North Miami. I've checked the retail prices for most of the offerings in the new packages, and you might find this helpful. Sales tax and corkage fees are not included.

The Enthusiast

4 Bottles - $88

6 Bottles - $132

8 Bottles - $176

Retail

Beringer, Sparkling White Zinfandel – California $11.99

Lindemans, Bin 90 Moscato – Australia $ 5.99

Ruffino, Pinot Grigio – Delle Venezie, Italy $ 7.99

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Chardonnay - South Australia $13.99

Beringer White Zinfandel - California $ 3.99

Colores Del Sol, Malbec – Mandoza, Argentina $ 7.99

Ravenswood “Zen of Zin” Zinfandel – California $11.49

Rioja Vega, Criaza-Rioja - Spain $ 6.00

Black Opal, Shiraz/Cabernet – Southern Australia $ 8.99

The Aficionado

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” category plus the following

4 Bottles - $98

6 Bottles - $146

8 Bottles - $196

Rosemont, Riesling – Southeastern Australia $ 5.79

Estancia, Pinot Grigio – California $ 9.99

North & South by Norwegian Cruise Line, Sauvignon Blanc - California NFS

Clos du Bois,Sauvignon Blanc-North Coast, California $15.00

Simi, Chardonnay - Sonoma, California $11.97

Estancia, Pinot Noir - California $9.97

Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel – Sonoma, California $15.99

Blackstone, Merlot - California $ 6.99

Estancia, Meritage - California $26.99

The Connoisseur

Including selections from the “Enthusiast” and “Aficionado" categories plus the following

4 Bottles - $110

6 Bottles - $162

8 Bottles - $216

Dry Creek, Fume Blanc – Sonoma, California $13.99

Oberon, Sauvignon Blanc - Napa Valley, California $16.99

I'M Deep Rose Isabel Mondavi - Napa Valley, California $10.97

Isabel Mandavi, Chardonnay – Carneros, California $29.99

Bonterra Organic Chardonnay – CMendicino Valley, California $15.99

Spellbound, Petit Sirah – California $11.99

North & South by Norwegian Cruise Line, Red Blend - California NFS

Penfolds Koonunga Hill Shiraz - South Australia $13.99

Oberon Cabernet Sauvignon - Napa Valley, California $17.89

The downside to bringing your own cellar with you is schlepping a case of wine through embarkation because you have to have to pay for the corkage sticker which is placed on each individual bottle before you're allowed to board. But these prices will give you some idea of the value of the product offered aboard ship.;)

Yes, just like the prices of wine at our favorite restaurant the prices are inflated, but for many of us it is just so much more convenient to buy a package while on the ship. Like you said, the $15 corkage fee is charged when you board, so I am not sure if it is worth it to hassle with bringing it on board. We used to, not so much anymore.

I actually find the wine package one of the best bargains on ship. We always do a four bottle, since we do like to drink cocktails and beer, too.

Think of it this way. A bucket of beer is over $30 for six beers. I can buy a six pack of Sam Adams for about $7 on land. An over 400% markup. The wine packages are far less than that, unless you are only getting bottles that retail for about $5 or less.

I totally agree about it being a good bargain. We we buy a 6 bottle package (or 4) we are platinum so get a couple of bottles with dinner a couple of nights and a bottle in our cabin plus TA usually sends us a bottle. That is plenty for our 10 day cruise. We do sometimes buy a bottle of vodka or scotch for our cabin as well. That and an occassional drink at a bar keeps us going on a 10 day cruise. If it is a 7 day cruise, forget the booze in our cabin.

Yes, just like the prices of wine at our favorite restaurant the prices are inflated, but for many of us it is just so much more convenient to buy a package while on the ship. Like you said, the $15 corkage fee is charged when you board, so I am not sure if it is worth it to hassle with bringing it on board. We used to, not so much anymore.

Here's the problem for us. Considering we live in Canada, the wine is already inflated, so the price we pay for a bottle here is very similar to what we would pay on the ship for the same bottle.

I would much rather purchase a $40-50 bottle of wine of my choice that I know is incredible and pay the $15 corkage, than paying $45-50 for a lesser bottle. We enjoy our big bold Cabs, and you are not getting great Cabs for that price on the ship.

If you bring your own bottles on board, and pay the corkage fee, how does it work, do you bring your bottle to supper with you every night? or at the bars? do you have to carry your bottle with you all the time?

When you board the ship and go through Xray, there is a desk there where they will charge you the $15 corkage fee (as they call it) The charge will go on your ship account and a sticker will be placed on the bottle or bottles of wine. You can then take them anywhere you want, to dinner, drink in your cabin, drink at a bar or whatever your choice is.

When you board the ship and go through Xray, there is a desk there where they will charge you the $15 corkage fee (as they call it) The charge will go on your ship account and a sticker will be placed on the bottle or bottles of wine. You can then take them anywhere you want, to dinner, drink in your cabin, drink at a bar or whatever your choice is.

I guess if you bring it to the bar, they will give you a glass to drink it out of?

I guess if you bring it to the bar, they will give you a glass to drink it out of?

No, you have to drink out of the bottle and pass to all members of your party.

Kidding aside, yes, go to any bar or restaurant and they will be happy to give you a glass, or more if you need them. We only encountered one bartender who grumbled about giving us his wine glasses, the other bartender came over and game them to us.

If you take a bottle to any of the restaurants, they will offer to 'Save' it for you until you dine there again. However, I am of the mind that if you open a great 'red' you drink it, you don't let it sit for a day or two.

They will chill it, open it and pour it.

If you do not finish it they will tag it and save for later. Does not matter what venue you are dining in. They will retrieve in any restaurant the next night.

We have even dropped off a bottle early to have it chilled.

We kept ours in our fridge (2 at a time), in an ice bucket and in a small collapsible cooler that our steward kept filled with ice.

When I bought the package on the first day, they gave me one chilled bottle in an ice bucket along with two wine glasses. They delivered the other 5 to our stateroom later. Bought it at the Atrium Bar on deck 6.

Cheers!

~Robin

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day