White bay cruise terminal

timbom

Doesn't seem that complicated does it, but some people just want to ignore what doesn't suit their argument.

I'd also reiterate that for a lot of people it is probably less travel.

Yes, and I like the sound of a FREE shuttle to White Bay then a FREE ferry back under the Harbour Bridge to the OPT. They're being given the opportunity to see a bit more of Sydney that otherwise they might not have the opportunity to experience! Seems like a bonus to me, but then I'm easily pleased!! :):)

Gae

Edited by gaechann

Yes, and I like the sound of a FREE shuttle to White Bay then a FREE ferry back under the Harbour Bridge to the OPT. They're being given the opportunity to see a bit more of Sydney that otherwise they might not have the opportunity to experience! Seems like a bonus to me, but then I'm easily pleased!! :):)

Gae

G'day Gae

The bride is a little upset that it doesn't apply to us.

We really love sailing under the Coathanger and even a Ferry would do.

And whilst I don't know you glad to hear you are progressing from a walker to a walking stick, way to go.

Gae, your post refers to ships that will still be processing at the OPT. Our trip is on 26th October, and we need to get to White Bay, or as Graeme has said there will be shuttles. The email from RCI however states

"EMBARKATION

Check-in and guest processing will take place at the White Bay Cruise Terminal - Address is James Craig Road, Rozelle. Once you have completed check-in at White Bay, you will be transported to the cruise ship which will be docked in Sydney Harbour. Please note, you will not be required to carry your luggage on the transfers, we will have a baggage drop at the White Bay Terminal and will process luggage as usual."

It is not stated in the email that if we arrive at the OPT we can be transferred to White Bay. That is only know from Grahame keeping us informed. It is stated that we be at White Bay, and I would imagine the more people that make their way directly there the better.

So I can see where the calculations come from (whether you agree or not), and for us we are looking at if we get off the train maybe at Central then it is about $20 - $25 for a taxi from what we are hearing. There is definitely going to be quite a lot of cost to customers over the 4 cruises that are being checked in at White Bay.

Yes, the renovations need to happen and will be a good thing in the long run. BUT, this is totally wrong that this has been thrown up out of the blue with less than 2 weeks to our cruise. I can see a lot of unhappy customers, and even if it all goes smoothly, and you get a shuttle from the OPT etc, and are not out of pocket, it is still going to be a much longer process than it would have been without this renovation and the associated changes happening.

I think Celebrity could have been much clearer with the information they have given, as there is a lot of confusion. For many this is a trip that has been saved for over a long time, and for some even their first cruise. Not a nice start, but not the end of the world either. I am sure we shall find it better than it may look due to the confusion.

Gae, your post refers to ships that will still be processing at the OPT. Our trip is on 26th October, and we need to get to White Bay, or as Graeme has said there will be shuttles. The email from RCI however states

"EMBARKATION

Check-in and guest processing will take place at the White Bay Cruise Terminal - Address is James Craig Road, Rozelle. Once you have completed check-in at White Bay, you will be transported to the cruise ship which will be docked in Sydney Harbour. Please note, you will not be required to carry your luggage on the transfers, we will have a baggage drop at the White Bay Terminal and will process luggage as usual."

It is not stated in the email that if we arrive at the OPT we can be transferred to White Bay. That is only know from Grahame keeping us informed. It is stated that we be at White Bay, and I would imagine the more people that make their way directly there the better.

So I can see where the calculations come from (whether you agree or not), and for us we are looking at if we get off the train maybe at Central then it is about $20 - $25 for a taxi from what we are hearing. There is definitely going to be quite a lot of cost to customers over the 4 cruises that are being checked in at White Bay.

Yes, the renovations need to happen and will be a good thing in the long run. BUT, this is totally wrong that this has been thrown up out of the blue with less than 2 weeks to our cruise. I can see a lot of unhappy customers, and even if it all goes smoothly, and you get a shuttle from the OPT etc, and are not out of pocket, it is still going to be a much longer process than it would have been without this renovation and the associated changes happening.

I think Celebrity could have been much clearer with the information they have given, as there is a lot of confusion. For many this is a trip that has been saved for over a long time, and for some even their first cruise. Not a nice start, but not the end of the world either. I am sure we shall find it better than it may look due to the confusion.

Not a doubt that the communication could have been better.

Remember however that they had thought that the work would be a lot further along by now at one point in time the Port corp was saying that most of the work would be done before this season even started.

Also it appears that the decision to go down this path was fairly recent.

In relation to it taking a lot longer to embark, what would you suggest they do.

Not a doubt that the communication could have been better.

Remember however that they had thought that the work would be a lot further along by now at one point in time the Port corp was saying that most of the work would be done before this season even started.

Also it appears that the decision to go down this path was fairly recent.

In relation to it taking a lot longer to embark, what would you suggest they do.

I am just saying that there may be a valid reason that people are upset. Yes, work is rarely on time with a big project like this, and I understand it is a late decision, but Celebrity would have been finding out their information more likely before even Gbenjo, so for them to advise us days later, and give scant information is not really helping to make it better for people.

I am seeing people here being quite abrupt and almost dismissing people's concerns and stress.

I don't suggest that there is anything that can be done to make it a faster situation. Maybe in their communications if they could tell people a bit more about how it is going to work, and even give them a time frame for certain parts of the day. Some people think that we will be tendering to the ship in the middle of the harbour. I don't blame them for not understanding, and I hope that if people are ringing Celebrity that they will be reassured.

I thank Grahame for getting us so much info and advice. Celebrity could have had one of their staff on here doing that also. They have their own FB page and didn't give much info there either. People are asking questions there and there are very few answers coming from Celebrity.

So I would suggest others here (on several threads also) be a bit less short with people that are confused and concerned.

I am just saying that there may be a valid reason that people are upset. Yes, work is rarely on time with a big project like this, and I understand it is a late decision, but Celebrity would have been finding out their information more likely before even Gbenjo, so for them to advise us days later, and give scant information is not really helping to make it better for people.

I am seeing people here being quite abrupt and almost dismissing people's concerns and stress.

I don't suggest that there is anything that can be done to make it a faster situation. Maybe in their communications if they could tell people a bit more about how it is going to work, and even give them a time frame for certain parts of the day. Some people think that we will be tendering to the ship in the middle of the harbour. I don't blame them for not understanding, and I hope that if people are ringing Celebrity that they will be reassured.

I thank Grahame for getting us so much info and advice. Celebrity could have had one of their staff on here doing that also. They have their own FB page and didn't give much info there either. People are asking questions there and there are very few answers coming from Celebrity.

So I would suggest others here (on several threads also) be a bit less short with people that are confused and concerned.

I think that the only person anyone has been abrupt with was the poster claiming it was gong to put people out of pocket 40-50k.

X's FB page gave a link to their site that gave most of the info we have here.

40 to 50 K is not a typo as explained above. Even if the increased cost is only one dollar the increased cost should not be born by the passenger.

If it's not a typo, then it's just not accurate as explained above.

My contract with the cruise company states Overseas passenger terminal is where it is leaving from and not the terminal we are now being asked to show up at.

Firstly, that's not in your contract. Secondly, since you're referring to that as a basis, the terms and conditions also state such changes can be made.

This change is extremely minor in the scheme of things, especially of what can and does get changed.

Flying from Melbourne to Sydney arriving at 10:30 am should I just take a taxi to white bay from the airport I've never been to Sydney cruise terminals will this give me enough time??

Yes, heaps of time.

Cost wise, the cost is likely fairly similar by taxi to either cruise terminal.

BUT, this is totally wrong that this has been thrown up out of the blue with less than 2 weeks to our cruise. I can see a lot of unhappy customers, and even if it all goes smoothly, and you get a shuttle from the OPT etc, and are not out of pocket, it is still going to be a much longer process than it would have been without this renovation and the associated changes happening.

I agree, and said similarly when the news first came out.

And I agree the announcement from Celebrity/RCL has been lacking, in both timeliness and content.

Personally, I think they should have stuck to the original plan, and certainly managed it better. But what I think about the change has 0 say in the facts of the situation.

That said, making a bigger deal about it than it warrants is also not going to achieve anything. And I think perspective is called for as well.

Travel always involves flexibility. Even if you fly first class with your own private pilot, butler and so forth, there will still be changes. Though your staff will deal with it then! So, when you do your own travelling, stuff happens. Doesn't make it great, but it makes it part of the 'adventure.' Arguing and whinging about it doesn't solve it.

I think that the only person anyone has been abrupt with was the poster claiming it was gong to put people out of pocket 40-50k.

X's FB page gave a link to their site that gave most of the info we have here.

We will have to agree to disagree about the link from FB that has exactly the wording of my email. I find it lacking in information. That is just my opinion, so I will leave it at that. Must be away, getting a bit of packing and washing done. :)

Big M - it is something that is better if you roll with it and enjoy what comes along.

Edited by goodycruising

Not defending Celebrity but I think the task of transporting 3000 or more passengers from The OPT to White Bay by coach would have been an absolute nightmare and created a worse situation, and assuming that a large number of passengers would be making their own way to the ship anyway, be it OPT or White Bay, by taxi or private transport, it was probably a better option not to " advertise" the coaches and just take those that arrived at the OPT .

Also a lot of the final decision to move the embark location was only made in the last week or so and was requested by Sydney Ports in an effort to speed up completion of the renovations and would not be something Celebrity would have had any pleasure in having to do.

Edited by gbenjo

I agree, and said similarly when the news first came out.

And I agree the announcement from Celebrity/RCL has been lacking, in both timeliness and content.

Personally, I think they should have stuck to the original plan, and certainly managed it better. But what I think about the change has 0 say in the facts of the situation.

That said, making a bigger deal about it than it warrants is also not going to achieve anything. And I think perspective is called for as well.

Travel always involves flexibility. Even if you fly first class with your own private pilot, butler and so forth, there will still be changes. Though your staff will deal with it then! So, when you do your own travelling, stuff happens. Doesn't make it great, but it makes it part of the 'adventure.' Arguing and whinging about it doesn't solve it.

What Big M said

Not defending Celebrity but I think the task of transporting 3000 or more passengers from The OPT to White Bay by coach would have been an absolute nightmare and created a worse situation, and assuming that a large number of passengers would be making their own way to the ship anyway, be it OPT or White Bay, by taxi or private transport, it was probably a better option not to " advertise" the coaches and just take those that arrived at the OPT .

Totally it would entail about 60 coach movements.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not, but im wondering if you can catch a ferry from circular quay to balmain east and then walk to the white bay cruise terminal?

Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Not sure if this has been mentioned before or not, but im wondering if you can catch a ferry from circular quay to balmain east and then walk to the white bay cruise terminal?

Thanks.

too far to walk, better off catching a taxi from the city

too far to walk, better off catching a taxi from the city

how far is too far? unless im looking at the wrong thing google maps says its only 900m from the balmain east ferry terminal to the white bay cruise terminal... does this sound right? my wife and i would both be fine with walking 900m if thats the case.

Thanks

how far is too far? unless im looking at the wrong thing google maps says its only 900m from the balmain east ferry terminal to the white bay cruise terminal... does this sound right? my wife and i would both be fine with walking 900m if thats the case.

Thanks

i think you would have to catch a bus or taxi from the ferry terminal and walk from Roberts rd to the cruise terminal so without all the mucking around you'd be better off catching a taxi direct from the city

Thanks

I think geographically that's right. However, practically, they don't let people in at the nearest entry security point, so you have to go up further to get there, and then walk all the way back.

Notch another one for poor design from the government!

Thanks.

You would still need a Cab, may as well get one from the city or the airport, if that is your origin.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Angela,

Cab from the airport to White bay is by far the best and if you have a cluey driver he may take you through the back of Petersham and Annandale and save you a few bucks on tolls.

And Kruzer 199 it's a no go from Balmain to White bay walking as I think the perimeter fencing will block access from that side.

Angela,

Cab from the airport to White bay is by far the best and if you have a cluey driver he may take you through the back of Petersham and Annandale and save you a few bucks on tolls.

And Kruzer 199 it's a no go from Balmain to White bay walking as I think the perimeter fencing will block access from that side.

Correct.:D