Beyond livid with Latitudes

Melbourne84

TERMS & CONDITIONS

To qualify as a member of the Programme, you must have taken or booked at least one (1) eligible Norwegian cruise since 1995 and be enrolled in the Programme.

Copied and pasted from NCL.co.uk. Can't see it being any different elsewhere in the world.

Key term- What is a 'eligible' cruise from 1995 to NCL? A 3 day to the Carbibean, 7 night to Canada or to South Carbibean? Does NCL even keep records that way back on the computer system or do you have to provide them the paper copy? Not saying its a lost cause but if you have paper copies from that time period, it will help your case instead of battle he said/she said/ everyone said.

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Edited by maywell

Hmm, no. I believe the one I saw was 3 pages and the first post was long...this person also could not get the points they had accumulated. Funny, I didn't commit anything about it to memory since it had nothing to do with me (at the time) :rolleyes:

Hmm, no. I believe the one I saw was 3 pages and the first post was long...this person also could not get the points they had accumulated. Funny, I didn't commit anything about it to memory since it had nothing to do with me (at the time) :rolleyes:

Hmm. Well, use this as an example that people do indeed get credited points from when they are juveniles. Good luck!

Very good point.

I agree - they should give you the points.

I also agree with someone that said there is almost ZERO perks at that level anyways. So, why go through the effort unless you are planning to become a regular cruiser.

If we only had crystal balls that could foretell every cruise we will ever take and which line it will be on. :D

I think there's merit to setting the record straight now, regardless of what "perks" may result. The longer you wait, the more difficult it gets. Data disappears.

As I've said before, it's been 8 years since my last NCL cruise, but I was once a cheerleader for NCL, pom-poms and all. ;) In one week I'm giving NCL another chance on Getaway. Six months ago I had no idea I'd ever sail with NCL again, but the price was right, so there you go.

NCL may lure me back from Royal Caribbean. I'm keeping an open mind.

The OP is justified in pursuing this, IMHO.

Key term- What is a 'eligible' cruise from 1995 to NCL? A 3 day to the Carbibean, 7 night to Canada or to South Carbibean? Does NCL even keep records that way back on the computer system or do you have to provide them the paper copy? Not saying its a lost cause but if you have paper copies from that time period, it will help your case instead of battle he said/she said/ everyone said.

Latitudes Rewards

TERMS & CONDITIONS

Norwegian Cruise Line's Latitudes Rewards Programme (the "Programme") is operated by Norwegian Cruise Line ("Norwegian"). Norwegian reserves the right to modify or terminate the Programme, or to change the Terms and Conditions of participation and benefits of the Programme, in whole or in part, at any time with or without notice. Norwegian may terminate an individual's membership in the Programme if Norwegian, at its sole discretion, determines that an individual is utilising the Programme in a manner inconsistent with the Programme's terms and conditions or intent.

To qualify as a member of the Programme, you must have taken or booked at least one (1) eligible Norwegian cruise since 1995 and be enroled in the Programme. An individual's membership level in the Programme shall be based on the number of eligible points that such individual has earned.

Points are earned based on the length of the cruise itinerary, booking select categories of stateroom (suite category or above not including mini suites), booking nine months or more in advance of the date of sailing, or with a Latitudes special offer on eligible cruises. Points for booking more than 9 month in advance will only be available on cruises after 5 Dec 2011 and not applied retrospectively for cruises prior to this date. The following are not included in the list of eligible cruises: cruises purchased at a reduce fare (I.e. employee rates, friends and family rates, vendor rate cruises taken via a cruise certificate) and other cruises designated as such by Norwegian in its sole discretion.

Any benefits for which you are eligible as a member of the Programme, will only be available to you, are not transferable and will only be available on Norwegian sailings which are five (5) days or longer. Norwegian reserves the right to determine which benefits will be delivered to Norwegian passengers on designated Norwegian ships. Not all benefits offered through the Programme will be made available on all Norwegian ships. Benefits relating to a specified stateroom will be limited to one per stateroom regardless of the number of Latitudes Rewards members occupying it.

THIS 1000%. It's attitudes like those referenced below that kept me a long, long time lurker and less reluctant to actually post.

OP, I truly hope you get your points! I know that if it were me, I would also be fighting to make sure I was credited.

I really despair at how cruel some people can be. Yes it is a public forum, and as such people are entitled to voice their opinions. However the sarcasm and vitriol against folks who for whatever reason haven't sailed with NCL for many years but ask for loyalty points, that they may be entitled to, is pitiful.

It may well be that some people cannot afford to cruise often. It may have something to do with illness or disability, but people seem very quick to shoot people down when in reality all they are doing is claiming what they are entitled to. NCL make the rules, and for the life of me I can't see where it says to get Loyalty points you have to cruise annually.

If the OP is entitled to the points, they should get them, if not so be it, but why people need to have a pop at them I don't know.

Again, you missed the super fine print - NCL deems what a eligible cruise from 1995 is. Reread the portion where it say Norwegian has sole discretion of what cruises are designated as 'eligible'. Its literally in the your post you copy and paste from the UK site. If I could underline from my cell phone, I would - it right there in Black & White.

The OP got lucky getting points after so many years not traveling with them. If s/he has the paper proof that they deserve more points, then go for it.

Again, you missed the super fine print - NCL deems what a eligible cruise from 1995 is. Reread the portion where it say Norwegian has sole discretion of what cruises are designated as 'eligible'. Its literally in the your post you copy and paste from the UK site. If I could underline from my cell phone, I would - it right there in Black & White.

The OP got lucky getting points after so many years not traveling with them. If s/he has the paper proof that they deserve more points, then go for it.

When you say "the OP got lucky", are you insinuating that Latitudes Rewards is a Lottery?

The eligibility rules are pretty clear, of course they put disclaimers in to cover themselves, but let's not forget why they offer these incentives.

When you say "the OP got lucky", are you insinuating that Latitudes Rewards is a Lottery?

The eligibility rules are pretty clear, of course they put disclaimers in to cover themselves, but let's not forget why they offer these incentives.

Lucky as in, the Op got lucky NCL deem two of the past 4 trips eligible for Latitude points since it fine print says its at NCL discretion what a eligible cruise is.

The eligibility rules for the current program are clear so is the fine print disclaimer regarding what past cruises can be ineligible by them from 1995. Because NCL could had reject all 4 cruises due to the fine print says it at their sole discretion since those cruises happen many years before the new program rules of how to earn more points.They could had made the OP start from zero and come in as a new customer but didn't.

Copied and pasted from NCL.co.uk. Can't see it being any different elsewhere in the world.

Trevor... EVERTHING elsewhere in the world is different than it is in the UK!! ;) :D

And I mean that sincerely. The UK, EU laws are so much different for companies operating there than they are here in NA that it is basically useless quoting what you are experiencing, when the question only applies to someone in NA. All cruise companies have different policies when it comes to booking here (NA) compared to UK/EU.

Trevor... EVERTHING elsewhere in the world is different than it is in the UK!! ;) :D

And I mean that sincerely. The UK, EU laws are so much different for companies operating there than they are here in NA that it is basically useless quoting what you are experiencing, when the question only applies to someone in NA. All cruise companies have different policies when it comes to booking here (NA) compared to UK/EU.

I read both UK from him and NA from NCL website, both have a fine print that can be easy to miss if you don't read it carefully. The disclaimer is NCL has sole discretion on what a eligible cruise is and doesn't have to reward points for it.

Reading these posts has me thinking: What is the point of even having a Loyalty Program if your points can suddenly disappear or be deemed ineligible? This is a big part of my frustration and confusion, as well as being seemingly attacked as NOT loyal just because I don't cruise every year, and with NCL. I cruised NCL in the past, and even more important, I'm coming back to NCL, aren't I?

For example, I have several credit cards and I only use one on a daily basis. One is a department store card that I use maybe every 5 years? Yet I am not told I don't deserve or qualify for the promotions since I don't use that card ALL the time...I mean, isn't this the main issue? Besides NCL apparently having poor records management, of course.

Reading these posts has me thinking: What is the point of even having a Loyalty Program if your points can suddenly disappear or be deemed ineligible? This is a big part of my frustration and confusion, as well as being seemingly attacked as NOT loyal just because I don't cruise every year, and with NCL. I cruised NCL in the past, and even more important, I'm coming back to NCL, aren't I?

For example, I have several credit cards and I only use one on a daily basis. One is a department store card that I use maybe every 5 years? Yet I am not told I don't deserve or qualify for the promotions since I don't use that card ALL the time...I mean, isn't this the main issue? Besides NCL apparently having poor records management, of course.

Very good point. This isn't the first time a cruise line has changed a loyalty program, and loyal customers have ended up with the short end of the stick.

While I was sorting out my mess with NCL, I had three 7-day sailings deemed "ineligible" because they were booked at a discount through an NCL employee, although I'm 99.99% certain I had received credit for them before.

Rules change. Maybe they'd rather lure new customers than retain the ones they've already won. You can question the wisdom of that thinking, but it's ultimately up to NCL.

I hope you are successful in your quest for obtaining the points you qualify for. But your original title is likely what has people divided.

You are "beyond livid" that they cannot correct the situation in 5 weeks before you cruise. The cruises in question took place more than 7 years ago. It takes banks quite a while to get records from that far back (and it is usually as equally frustrating as I must do this for my job quite often) and their job is to keep records. NCL's job is to give us a wonderful cruise. Remeber not that long ago computers weren't as advanced and neither was record keeping. I believe you will be successful with patience and determination but I do not believe you should be livid at NCL because it takes them a while to go back that far or that their likely not well trained call center person did not know about a program that was available likely when she was 12.

Now if you have a horrible cruise that is a different story.

Let's not forget, to make use of the rewards, you have to book a cruise with NCL. Isn't that why the scheme exists, to tempt you back?

Technically, you don't get the rewards til the next cruise. For example, new cruiser to NCL who never used them before and does a 7 day Latitudes reward thats 9 months out will not be able to use the rewards until the 2nd trip. Again, read the fine print.

Technically, you don't get the rewards til the next cruise. For example, new cruiser to NCL who never used them before and does a 7 day Latitudes reward thats 9 months out will not be able to use the rewards until the 2nd trip. Again, read the fine print.

Trevor seems to know you can not use the perks until the next trip, that is why they stated that the loyalty programs are there to "tempt you back"

Edited by surran12

...But your original title is likely what has people divided.

You are "beyond livid" that they cannot correct the situation in 5 weeks before you cruise. The cruises in question took place more than 7 years ago. It takes banks quite a while to get records from that far back ....

THIS! Exactly this!

Trevor seems to know you can not use the perks until the next trip, that is why they stated that the loyalty programs are there to "tempt you back"

Here's the thing - OP hasn't cruise with NCL for 10+ years; doesn't sound like they have email confirmations or paper documents from that time period to prove to NCL that they 'deserve'the silver level, just photos which means nothing because the people in photographs can be anybody taken at anytime. If you're going to do battle of he said / she said, have some physical proof from the company you're arguing with so that they can't really weasel out of it.

Another thing, the 'new' program has been out how many years? 3? 5? So don't you (OP) think should had resolve that like at least 2 years or at least 3-6 months back before any cruises or even better, before even placing the deposit / money down, to check your Latitudes status if it was going to be such a big deal? They now have your money unless you had also paid the travel cancellation insurance or before the final payment deadline to get the cruise fare back, because pretty much NCL can tell you to go *bleep* yourself (which they kinda did by making you wait 4-6 weeks = about 90 days for the final verdict from them, after the cruise).

Sad to say but hindsight is 20/20, may what happen to the OP be lesson for someone else going through something similar - have your ducks in the rows. Save your email reservation confirmations in a folder online on a personal email account or put paper documents in safe spot like a draw or file cabinet, just in the Loyalty program changes again and NCL claims they don't have a record of your cruise(s) of it.

Do not worry about the negative people. You have to much fun ahead of you to worry about them

Yes NCL lost some data when they switched over to the new system. They ask for proof in case they can not find it in their files somewhere else. It takes time. Many people send in inquiries about what they think are missing points but they forgot that somewhere between booking and sailing they changed that reservation and are not qualified for those points any more. This cloggs up the system and is the reason it take so long for those that really are missing points.

Do not let the missing perks ruin your cruise. After all, you will be on vacation. However that said, do not give up on it either. It may be after you get back before you get all solved but once it is, it is done.

I wish you the best of luck and happy sailing

I can't seem to find the thread about the Latitudes issue that I was just reading yesterday, so I'm starting a new one.

I just got off the phone with an NCL rep. Here is the problem: I cruised 4x with NCL (1999, 2001, 2002, and 2003). For some reason I've only been credited with 2001 and 2003. I'm sailing the Breakaway in one week and I've emailed Latitudes 3x in the last 4 weeks, and received no response. I emailed some photos to prove I was on the other two cruises. Here are the lame excuses I received today:

Points are only given if you are 18. (I pointed out I was 17 in 2002 yet still given points.)

You've BEEN credited your 14 points. (I should have 28 points, she didn't seem to understand.)

You are purged from the system in 4-5 years (I guess if you don't cruise in that time?). (I pointed out my mother and grandmother, both of whom I sailed with, have been properly credited, and my mom has not sailed NCL since 2003 as well...why wasn't she purged?)

They changed latitudes a few years ago. (Again, why are my mom and grandmother in the system, properly credited with their points?)

It takes 4-6 weeks (she said up to 90 days!!!! Are you freaking kidding? Hire more people!) to process Latitudes issues. (So what, I'm supposed to cruise at bronze level and miss out on benefits I deserve, and hear a week or month after that OK! Everything's updated! ???).

I should be silver level, which gives benefits I'd ACTUALLY LIKE TO USE. I'm was unsure about trying NCL again after what I've heard (I'm loyal to Royal, husband wanted 'something new'), and now this.

Has anyone had an experience like this? What did you do? The rep I spoke to says Latitudes actually doesn't even have a phone number (number on site links you to reservations). I feel like calling corporate, but will that solve anything? What if I just take it up with Latitudes onboard the ship?

:mad::mad::mad:

To Melbourne84:

First, take a deep breath.

You say that your mother and grandmother received points that you didn't. Therefore, you can look up the reservation number in their cruise profiles.

When we cruised last year and brought our (now adult) son I noticed that his cruise history was missing a cruise that we had all taken in 2000.

I had him email to LatClerical@ncl.com with our reservation number from "his missing cruise" pointing out that the three of us had traveled together. Since I didn't have his old room card or a printed reservation confirmation, they did accept attached pictures of him on the ship. In our case it was SS Norway and we had pictures of him on the upper deck right under the huge NORWAY and a few others inside our cabin that barely showed the ship's stationery.

They updated his cruise history within 2 days.

Happy cruising to you!