freestyle dining questions

tallvine

Hi - I'm new to sailing on NCL having sailed on RCCL the last 3 times. my husband & I have booked the Breakway to Bermuda in May 2015 - it will be just the 2 of us. We're used to dining with at a table for 6 or 8 on our RCCL cruises and have met some wonderful people. Do the main dining rooms on NCL cruises have tables for 2 that we would sit at or are we suppose to sit wherever there are 2 open seats ? I don't want to intrude on someone's intimate dinner! the relaxed atmosphere sounds great... just curious how it works.

Hi - I'm new to sailing on NCL having sailed on RCCL the last 3 times. my husband & I have booked the Breakway to Bermuda in May 2015 - it will be just the 2 of us. We're used to dining with at a table for 6 or 8 on our RCCL cruises and have met some wonderful people. Do the main dining rooms on NCL cruises have tables for 2 that we would sit at or are we suppose to sit wherever there are 2 open seats ? I don't want to intrude on someone's intimate dinner! the relaxed atmosphere sounds great... just curious how it works.

Unless you specifically ask, you will almost always be seated by yourself. There are lots of tables for 2-4 people.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hostess will have you seated, you won't find your own seats, and as stated unless you ask you will be given a table for two. It's like going out to a restaurant without making reservations first (and if you go when it is busy you may receive a pager to let you know when your table is ready).

Actually I thought it was the other way around--you were put at a large table and had to request a table for 2. We cruise Sat from Venice on the Jade and just put in a request for table for 2. We do lose the reservation if we are 15 minutes late.

Not on NCL.

The assumption is that you want to sit by yourself unless you ask.

Occasionally I believe that you may be asked if you want to share (if it is very busy for example), but I think it's pretty rare. Certainly never happened to us, we have always sat by ourselves.

Echoing the previous poster, they seat you at a table by yourselves unless you specifically ask to be seated with others. It is exactly the same as if you were going to most typical restaurants - you'd be seated with only the party you come in with.

Edited by cruisecritiquer

Actually I thought it was the other way around--you were put at a large table and had to request a table for 2. We cruise Sat from Venice on the Jade and just put in a request for table for 2. We do lose the reservation if we are 15 minutes late.

I think that is the case only if you are making reservations. There's no NEED to make reservations unless the venue is busy, or if it has set mealtimes like the Teppanyaki restaurant or the ones that are also shows.

The regular MDR is willing to take reservations but most people don't do that. They show up when they want to eat, and if it is busy they give you a pager and beep you when your table is ready.

We usually will tell them we are a party of two, but we don't mind sharing. This lets them know that we can either be seated at a table for two, or with others, whichever is better and quicker. I often like sitting with others...but sometimes it's nice just having dinner for two.