Allure Family Oceanview Stateroom vs. two connecting balcony staterooms

Hello,

I'm just starting my research on a potential family cruise over New Year's 2015. We are a family of 5 and have a grandparent coming that will want to have a cabin by himself. I've done a rough pricing online of 3 balcony cabins, but can't get online pricing of a "family oceanview stateroom" that would sleep our immediate 5 in a cabin. Does anyone happen to know if booking a family cabin would be less expensive? What about space and quality of life? Our kids will be 10, 8, and 5 at the time of cruising. Finally, if I got a family stateroom, is it still possible for the adjoining cabin to be a standard balcony? Since we have special needs and are traveling over a holiday I'm thinking that we probably need to decide and book before too long.

Don't know about pricing as you need to call for family cabins as Bob pointed out, but I would go for two CONNECTING cabins for you and the kids - two bathrooms, two TVs and some privacy for mom and dad. Just make it clear to the kids that they are not to be on the balcony without an adult.

11128 and 11528 are all the way forward (Family OV-no balcony), but they are much larger than standard FOs. We had one booked for our cruise a year ago, but had to switch rooms because our 5th person couldn't go on the cruise. I don't know if there are any other actual balcony FOs that are considerably larger than regular ones, but with kids the extra room might be nice, especially for the same price as a normal FO. Good Luck!

Sailed on the Oasis a couple of months ago with my family - grandkids were exact same age as your children!

We checked many options, including family stateroom - worked with a very helpful RC representative.

I think price-wise a lot will depend on what specials are available when you book. We tried several configurations, including family stateroom. I did not want to be part of that - wanted my own cabin.

We ended up booking a connecting boardwalk cabin for the family - great option - the two bathrooms were great. I had a balcony room - ocean view directly across the hall. This meant when the family wanted a "different" view - in port for example - they could come in my room.

It was surprising the difference price combinations - you have to work at it and find a good TA or RC agent that is helpful. Make sure they calculate all the different discounts that might be available (thinking state, veteran, etc.) Also you can put the kids where you want for booking only - and then sleep wherever - if that helps with pricing.

It took a long time to figure out, but the price combinations were unbelievable!

Thanks for the input so far. I think that I'm probably going to just have to call and see what they can help me with. I'm booking a year out over the holiday. 3 oceanview cabins are probably what we are going to go for, but they are pricey. First I was coming up with 16k+. I then used the BOGO code and played around with putting one of the kids in Grandpa's cabin (at least on paper) and this brought it down to $14,900.00 but still... wow! The same 3 cabins with the same promo code for THIS Christmas instead of next Christmas was around 10,500.00. What gives? Do we just book and watch prices and hopefully end up with a very significant discount by this time next year?

Thanks for the input so far. I think that I'm probably going to just have to call and see what they can help me with. I'm booking a year out over the holiday. 3 oceanview cabins are probably what we are going to go for, but they are pricey. First I was coming up with 16k+. I then used the BOGO code and played around with putting one of the kids in Grandpa's cabin (at least on paper) and this brought it down to $14,900.00 but still... wow! The same 3 cabins with the same promo code for THIS Christmas instead of next Christmas was around 10,500.00. What gives? Do we just book and watch prices and hopefully end up with a very significant discount by this time next year?

Prices for this Christmas are lower now as they are all past final payment date and RCI is starting to discount them. A couple of months ago they were higher in price just like the 2015 ones are.

Okay that makes sense. I've read that RCI will honor price drops until final payment. What happens if they run another "kids sail free" special? Will RCI honor that later if I book now as long as it is prior to final payment? Right now, the 3 kids are getting 50% off so that would be a significant discount.

Okay that makes sense. I've read that RCI will honor price drops until final payment. What happens if they run another "kids sail free" special? Will RCI honor that later if I book now as long as it is prior to final payment? Right now, the 3 kids are getting 50% off so that would be a significant discount.

Depends. Sometimes the specials are for new bookings only. It might be a situation where you would have to cancel and re-book. One reason to be careful if you are working with a TA - check what their rules are, not just RC's.

Have had good luck getting a lower price when it was just a price change prior to final payment - not one of the "buy one, get one; or someone sails free" specials - have never used that.

It has seemed to me that recently many of the "sales" come with strings attached!

You can't predict what Royal will do. The BOGOHO sale was supposed to be for new bookings, but they let people with existing bookings take advantage.