Royal Princess – Foodie Review with PICTURES!

cruisefoodie

Being a foodie myself I found your review the BEST EVER. I was on the Royal for the first trans-Atlantic and agree with you completely. I also did the wine makers dinner and the chefs table. Loved them equally but sorry to say the chefs table is over priced. However with that said I found it only one notch below my food experience at the French Laundry which has been named the best restaurant in the U.S. a few years back. One negative is I'm on a diet right now in anticipation of my next cruise. So your review made me drool all over the key board :)

I'm sitting here reading this mid morning, and looking at all your fantastic pictures and reviews. Thanks a lot! Now I'm starved. :D DW and I are on the Regal in January (1st Princess cruise) and hope we're half as lucky as you were. The pictures look awesome and bring back memories of our 1st HAL cruise over 30 years ago. We've been on over a dozen cruises since that 1st one and definitely don't think the food quality is what it was years ago. However, after looking at your pics and reading your descriptions, I'm ready to go tomorrow! Thanks for all you time and effort in putting this together. :)

Edited by roadking436
can't type!

No, I don't remember him particularly. What part of the ship was he in? I do, however, remember the awesome super happy guy at the IC, he made my day every time I saw him :)

We first met him on the Emerald before the Royal was introduced & I knew at the time he was scheduled to move over. He always worked in one of the bars & not the IC. His cousins on another trip said he was on the Royal but he could have moved by now.

Edited by Lovetocruiseprincess

Assuming you were on the same cruise we were (10/11) the Maitre'd was Fabio Marcotti (very entertaining) and the exec chef was Jozef Linser.

Samantha Hawker-Thomas just took over as CD on the 11th.

Thank you for kindly posting the info. I'll update CD & MDH lists. We weren't on this cruise, but have sailed with this MDH & yes, a most entertaining Maitre d' too! Cheers, Rose & Mario.

It was $110 pp if I recall on the Royal including wine. It's less on other ships I did a wrapup of the cruise post that has some photos and such as well as specific notes about this ship.

In general, this is the second time we did it, and you need to know its different on the Royal as on other ships. They all start with hors d'ouvres in the galley, but on most ships, the EC prepares your meals tableside, on the Royal its a more formal presentation, with the EC only coming out to present each dish. The venues are also different, the Royal has a dedicated space, the others use a special table in one of the MDRs

I prefer the less formal, more interactive approach personally. That said, the food was stellar at both meals. From memory, the menu on the royal was (I have a copy to scan at some point, they give it to you):

4 different appetizers in the galley,

a roasted tomato bisque with cheese straw,

Porcini mushroom Risotto,

A sorbet I will have to look at the menu to remember (more because I just took a nap than quality),

Filet and Maine (yes real Maine) lobster duo,

Camembert cheese course (only thing I didn't like, too strong),

A symphony of chocolate,

Coffee/Tea and more chocolates/mini pastries

You also get one signed cookbook per party, rose for the ladies and a photo at the table with the MD/EC.

It's important to note the MD/EC can make or break this event, as can your tablemates. The MD/EC on the Island were SO good they set a hard standard to live up to on the Royal, but its hard to truly compare the two approaches because of the differences.

We have not yet done the Chef's table, but have always wanted to.

How did you enjoy it? How much did it cost? It is absolutely on our to-do list!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for this great review - i think i gained a few pounds just looking at those wonderful pictures. We loved the Royal, sailed on her last summer in Europe and looking forward to the Regal in January.

Did you ever have a fresh grilled egg sandwich at the IC, they are wonderful. I'm going to try one of those cronuts - they look bad...

• 1 month later...
Thanks for this great review - i think i gained a few pounds just looking at those wonderful pictures. We loved the Royal, sailed on her last summer in Europe and looking forward to the Regal in January.

Did you ever have a fresh grilled egg sandwich at the IC, they are wonderful. I'm going to try one of those cronuts - they look bad...

I had no idea they had a fresh grilled egg sandwich at the IC - that sounds AMAZING! Will look for it next time!

I am glad everyone is enjoying the review. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!

I had no idea they had a fresh grilled egg sandwich at the IC - that sounds AMAZING! Will look for it next time!

THIS THREAD linked is from last December when I spent two weeks on Royal Princess, and has tons of pictures (including food). Here is the breakfast sandwich served in the International Cafe:

11236217834_9859c75797_c.jpg

11236217244_6636eb6fc0_c.jpg

I am glad everyone is enjoying the review. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!!!

They're not exactly fresh grilled egg sandwiches you would get at the buffet or dining room. They're pre-made early in the morning and put in a toaster oven to reheat as needed.

The ship:

After reading reviews for the Royal Princess, I was a tiny bit nervous that so many people were unhappy with the ship. We had read complaints about the lack of swimming pools, the lack of a central stair, the lack of the promenade level wrapping around the front of the ship.

I am here to say that the Royal Princess is AMAZING! Don’t hesitate to book the Royal; some people will always be negative.

It is a BEAUTIFUL ship, there is tons to do, so many great indoor and outdoor spaces to relax or have fun. You will feel like you’re cruising in the lap of luxury. If you accidentally forget the central stair doesn’t go all the way up, then oh well, take a short walk to another stair. Our stomachs could use the exercise

(Also, I apologize that I have to break this into a bunch of posts to get the pictures in.)

Great postings Dana tell your brother nice truck, your uncle says Hi from Virginia.