Is Belize safe?

caulder60

We were in Belize after it had been raining for a month. As noted, the port area is very busy with lots of shops. Outside of the port area is a different story. Belize city is, well, a dump. There are a few fine homes there but much of it looks like worn down crumbing city . The people we met were very nice and we never felt in danger.

We visited Maya Ruins about 30 mies out of the city. It took about 1-1/2 hours to drive through the city and out to the site-that is because the roads are so bad.

I learned that Belize is a poor country because it is located in a "hurricane pocket" in which it gets wiped out every 4-5 years by a big hurricane. It seems that no developed country is interested in helping it rebuild because there is nothing there except for tourist stuff.

I also learned that Guatemala is interested in acquiring Belize to expand its ports on the Caribbean.

That is what I learned from my time in Belize...

The one and only time we were in Belize, we took a ship excursion tour of the island, glad we did.

Do you mean Caye Caulker? Belize is not an island - it is located on the Yucatan peninsula surrounded by Mexico, Guatemala, and the Caribbean.

We have been to Belize several times.

We either take a ship's excursion or just stay in the area where the tender drops us off. We would not go out on our own.

As KK pointed out, the Tender Area is secured and quite safe! There is some shopping and has couple of restaurants within that area. :)

LuLu

Edited by OCruisers

As KK pointed out, the Tender Area is secured and quite safe! There is some shopping and has couple of restaurants within that area. :)

LuLu

Yeah, we had lunch at one of those restaurants, can't remember the name of it, but was a white two story building within the tourist area. Man, was it expensive with the exchange rate. A basic lunch for four people (burger, fries, pop) was well over $100, and this was 8 years ago.....

Two cruises to Belize and heres my opinion. The city is not a place I would walk around alone. If you leave the fenced area alone you will be hounded by the locals. Always book an excursion, We were told by the excursion operators never go out into the countryside alone, its dangerous. There are a couple of restuarant/bars along with some shopping on the dock.

We also went to Belize and had a good time. We had a non ship excursion to Goff's Caye. Everyone we encountered was very friendly. It was one of our favorite excursions ever. When we got back we went outside the tourist village. We were bombarded with people trying to sell us stuff and tours (even though it was too late for another tour). They actually took our arms to lead us their way. I didn't feel scared. More annoyed actually. Reminded me of Nassau and St Martin (Orient Beach).

Belize is beautiful, but yes the country is very poor. They are doing what they can to make money.

The one and only time we were in Belize, we took a ship excursion tour of the island, glad we did.

Do you mean Caye Caulker? Belize is not an island - it is located on the Yucatan peninsula surrounded by Mexico, Guatemala, and the Caribbean.

You are correct, we did a city tour, not an island tour.

We go to Belize every year. We go outside the fence and roam around. Never had any trouble, the street vendors are a bit pushy. The cruise line has never "warned" us to not go outside the gates. The only ones to warn us of the dangers of leaving the compound are the vendor inside the compound. Wonder why?

People are great, friendly and anxious to teach you about their country. I would worry much more about roaming around certain parts of NYC or Chicago than Belize City.

You can spend you whole life being afraid, or go check out the adventure. You notice there are no posts here of first hand experience with the "dangers" of Belize City.

We did not care for Belize. The immediate port area was fine but there is a very tall fence around it for a reason. The town beyond this fence is not a place I would wander around.

Many people might disagree, but my hubby is a big strapping police officer and he did not like the area at all. We were warned by the cruiseline not to go beyond the fence.

That being said.....this is one port I would book a ship excursion...

I agree with this statement. It is not a port I would feel comfortable wandering around on my own on. Now, do people go on cruise line supported shore excursions and have a blast all the time? Yes. I would just make sure if you plan something you do something that is a guided tour and with the cruise line and not go off on your own. If there is one port you pick to do an excursion bought through the cruise line and not booked yourself this is where I would recommend you do that.

Belize just concerned me. I was heckled over the fence constantly, there were armed guards at the entrance to the port etc...

Love Belize. Would never rent a car there though! Don't let people (here) frighten you. I've found the people warm and friendly. You'd be surprised how far a smile and an acknowledgement will go. So many passengers walk by these folks and just ignore them like they're dirt do it's only natural they try to stop you to get your attention. Make eye contact, smile, say no thanks. In other words treat them as you would want to be treated if you were doing that as a living.

As far as safety goes at least Belize is an English speaking country. If I were stranded in Mexico about all I could do would be to ask for a Taco Bell. In Belize and least you can talk to people.

As far as safety goes at least Belize is an English speaking country. If I were stranded in Mexico about all I could do would be to ask for a Taco Bell. In Belize and least you can talk to people.

You would get nothing but blank stares asking that question in Mexico. :D.

I spent two years working in Belize and it is perfectly safe if you take the normal precautions that apply in any city in USA or UK. Stay away from the seedy areas during the hours of darkness and don't carry wads of money.

Totally agree. Have been there several times with relatives that are from the country. Being sensible is the main ingredient.