Quantum of the Seas - Maiden Transatlantic Voyage - Nov 2-10, 2014 - Live Report

jv_nyc

I see there has been previous pics posted of a DO CABIN obstructed by lifeboats. Does anyone know if there have been any of the ones blocked by davits that are classed 75% obstructed?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Where have you seen the percentage of blockage posted? I have not seen that.

Thanks Tracy! I also just posted the pictures from your ride - internet has been really good today.

In the Cafe @ Two70, when you order a sandwich, they give you buzzer that buzzes when your food is ready.

Shutterfly Site - https://quantumlaunchers.shutterfly.com

Thanks for the great job you guys are doing. Just wondering on all the other ships with the Park Cafe Roast Beef sandwiches you can get snack bags of various chips. Are they available anywhere on the Quantum?

Can someone please let me know what is the actual price charged for Wonderland? Tried to book it online, but the RC site seems to be having problems showing 2 different prices.

I also read that kids below 12 years is charged at "Eat for Less" price. Anyone knows how much would that be and i don't seem to be able to find this online for booking too.

There was lots of talk about venus filling up and the possibility of being unable to book dining when on board. Has anyone changed their plans made before sailing and has it worked as expected or were there indeed times that restaurants couldn't be booked leading to disappointment?

Just wondering how it Is working for passengers who've not yet risen to Diamond and not in suites.

Thanks, and enjoy the ship.

I haven't seen dancinman66 posting yet.:p

Greg, where are you, cruising buddy. :cool:

We got Greg and Eve engaged day before yesterday with our flash mob, but they did come to our group masquerade dinner last night at The Grande. Both looking happy and all smiles. :D

There was lots of talk about venus filling up and the possibility of being unable to book dining when on board. Has anyone changed their plans made before sailing and has it worked as expected or were there indeed times that restaurants couldn't be booked leading to disappointment?

Just wondering how it Is working for passengers who've not yet risen to Diamond and not in suites.

Thanks, and enjoy the ship.

We have not changed any plans that we made, but we only booked dinner for the first 5 nights in advance so we could leave the last few nights to book onboard and repeat what we liked or try something new. The majority of specialty restaurants are long since booked up. We ARE Diamond and even with the Concierge's help couldn't book Chops or Jamie's for dinner. The free restaurants have been easier to rebook and we easily made a 6pm reservation at American Icon and Chic just 2 days in advance.

Tracy

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Where have you seen the percentage of blockage posted? I have not seen that.

Go to Royal's UK site and do a mock booking. You can click on thehe available cabins for more info, including the % obstruction.

For the deck 6 DO's, seems the number will tell you if you have a lifeboat at knee level (50%) or a davit a bit higher (75%).

Once the TA moors, I am sure the percentages will be augmented by a multitude of photos from those onboard. [emoji2]

These past few days have been really full! I'm not sure how many photos I'll be able to upload because the super-high speed internet that we were supposed to enjoy will not he available for this cruise. The passengers for this cruise are basically beta testing the new class ship.

The minor glitches have not diminished the cruise significantly for us. Mainly because it is so different and really is beautiful and marvelous! Royal Caribbean wanted to totally break out of the box and have been successful at that with the Quantum Class ship. Currently (and most definitely never in the past) is there a commercial cruise ship in the water with the type and scale of technology & design that this ship has. The straight lines and, for lack of a better word, boxy environments are completely non-existent!

The Solarium was a place considered visually striking on other class ships. The Solarium on Quantum makes many other ships' Solarium spaces "cute" in comparison with terraced pools and hot tubs with waterfalls. Located on the furthest forward area on the ship, you can see the ocean sprawling before you!

The Two70 lounge is a place you could stay all day. It's located aft on the ship with soaring, ceiling to floor windows so you can see the ocean and from time to time projection screens are lowered and can create the impression of a 270 degree stage with a bluesy/jazzy band playing and numerous other visions. We got a demonstration of the huge robotic arms with projection screens. These are mounted on a massive seven ton, metal beam which can be raised and lowered as needed for whatever application is required. The robotic screens are an integral participant in the the show "Starwater", which you should not miss! We got there super early and were on the third row down front. The theme is the different types and stages of love and during one portion of the show, the robotic screens have a dependent attachment to a nymph-like dancer in an interpretation of the song "Ain't No a Sunshine When She's Gone". Personally, it's one of my favorite parts but it could be because that portion of the show is simple. What I mean is that the rest of it is almost like a three ring circus, in that there is so much going on that you're looking everywhere attempting to see everything and that could be due to our seats being so close. It's definitely not kitschy; very well interpreted, choreographed and executed! The singers and dancers are phenomenal! Their athleticism is as impressive as their talent.

I can't adequately describe the other public spaces. It's truly as if you're walking in a city with a big plaza and side streets. It's very open and airy to the next deck. Shops (Michael Kors, Bvlgari, etc), and restaurants (Jamie Oliver's, Sorrentos, Michael's pub, etc.) with areas to sit comfortably. Next deck up are the specialty restaurants and the Schooner Lounge (we never found the name anywhere but it's the Schooner Lounge to Royal cruisers). a two story music hall and theater just down a side street.

The big artwork is in place but we see workers installing more here and there. Definitely wires still being pulled and other assorted "maintenance" work. The interactive television comes and goes as far as being able to check your account and reservations come and go so it's a crap shoot whether the restaurant will have your reservation when you show up. Too bad for some of those customers whose reservations were lost for Wonderland, which has no openings (standby only) for the entire week. We aren't crazy about the menu so we didn't originally reserve but we got our names on standby just to do the Earth, Sea, Fire & Ice experience. We won't be disappointed if we don't get in.

So far, we've eaten dinners at American Icon Grill, Chops, Silk, Chic, The Grande. They staff is still working on the menus...things that don't fly well will be replaced with something else. After they have that figured out, the menus will stay the same all week.

The food is hit or miss:

*Chops - my Forrest mushroom soup was great! Pan roasted scallops were good. Entrees: I was looking forward to the Parmesan Encrusted Veal Chop, which was on the menu but they didn't have it. So, I ordered the braised beef short ribs...just okay. Hugo's 9 oz. filet was wonderful.

*Silk - a couple of the appetizers were really good; others not so much ( they served them all on the night we went...maybe trying them out). I asked if the Asian Duck was crispy and was told that it was. It was not crispy and the hoisin flavor overpowered it. Hugo had Hibachi Steak that he said was terrific.

*Chic - I had some wonderful grilled shrimp appetizer and crispy crusted roasted chicken. Hugo had beef carpaccio which he said said was awful. His entree was the roasted beef rib eye which was excellent.

*American Icon Grill - appetizers: buffalo chicken Mac and cheese (blah). Louisiana chicken wings - great. I had pistachio encrusted salmon with mushrooms. One of the best salmon dishes I've ever had. Hugo had roasted flank steak which he said was really good.

Other meals we had in American Icon Grill were very good.

Lunch:

270 Cafe has great salads and sandwiches.

Seaplex Doghouse was just okay

American Icon Grill - very good menu & food

Windjammer Marketplace has had very good food overall.

Well on 3rd I booked myself for QOS sailing on 11-23-2014.. Love to hear from you about ship, it will be great start ahead with your sharing.. Thanx a ton in advance.. Hugs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Welcome aboard! Don't forget to join the roll call. There's a ton of fun folks and miles of information there. [emoji322]

These past few days have been really full! I'm not sure how many photos I'll be able to upload because the super-high speed internet that we were supposed to enjoy will not he available for this cruise. The passengers for this cruise are basically beta testing the new class ship.

The minor glitches have not diminished the cruise significantly for us. Mainly because it is so different and really is beautiful and marvelous! Royal Caribbean wanted to totally break out of the box and have been successful at that with the Quantum Class ship. Currently (and most definitely never in the past) is there a commercial cruise ship in the water with the type and scale of technology & design that this ship has. The straight lines and, for lack of a better word, boxy environments are completely non-existent!

The Solarium was a place considered visually striking on other class ships. The Solarium on Quantum makes many other ships' Solarium spaces "cute" in comparison with terraced pools and hot tubs with waterfalls. Located on the furthest forward area on the ship, you can see the ocean sprawling before you!

The Two70 lounge is a place you could stay all day. It's located aft on the ship with soaring, ceiling to floor windows so you can see the ocean and from time to time projection screens are lowered and can create the impression of a 270 degree stage with a bluesy/jazzy band playing and numerous other visions. We got a demonstration of the huge robotic arms with projection screens. These are mounted on a massive seven ton, metal beam which can be raised and lowered as needed for whatever application is required. The robotic screens are an integral participant in the the show "Starwater", which you should not miss! We got there super early and were on the third row down front. The theme is the different types and stages of love and during one portion of the show, the robotic screens have a dependent attachment to a nymph-like dancer in an interpretation of the song "Ain't No a Sunshine When She's Gone". Personally, it's one of my favorite parts but it could be because that portion of the show is simple. What I mean is that the rest of it is almost like a three ring circus, in that there is so much going on that you're looking everywhere attempting to see everything and that could be due to our seats being so close. It's definitely not kitschy; very well interpreted, choreographed and executed! The singers and dancers are phenomenal! Their athleticism is as impressive as their talent.

I can't adequately describe the other public spaces. It's truly as if you're walking in a city with a big plaza and side streets. It's very open and airy to the next deck. Shops (Michael Kors, Bvlgari, etc), and restaurants (Jamie Oliver's, Sorrentos, Michael's pub, etc.) with areas to sit comfortably. Next deck up are the specialty restaurants and the Schooner Lounge (we never found the name anywhere but it's the Schooner Lounge to Royal cruisers). a two story music hall and theater just down a side street.

The big artwork is in place but we see workers installing more here and there. Definitely wires still being pulled and other assorted "maintenance" work. The interactive television comes and goes as far as being able to check your account and reservations come and go so it's a crap shoot whether the restaurant will have your reservation when you show up. Too bad for some of those customers whose reservations were lost for Wonderland, which has no openings (standby only) for the entire week. We aren't crazy about the menu so we didn't originally reserve but we got our names on standby just to do the Earth, Sea, Fire & Ice experience. We won't be disappointed if we don't get in.

So far, we've eaten dinners at American Icon Grill, Chops, Silk, Chic, The Grande. They staff is still working on the menus...things that don't fly well will be replaced with something else. After they have that figured out, the menus will stay the same all week.

The food is hit or miss:

*Chops - my Forrest mushroom soup was great! Pan roasted scallops were good. Entrees: I was looking forward to the Parmesan Encrusted Veal Chop, which was on the menu but they didn't have it. So, I ordered the braised beef short ribs...just okay. Hugo's 9 oz. filet was wonderful.

*Silk - a couple of the appetizers were really good; others not so much ( they served them all on the night we went...maybe trying them out). I asked if the Asian Duck was crispy and was told that it was. It was not crispy and the hoisin flavor overpowered it. Hugo had Hibachi Steak that he said was terrific.

*Chic - I had some wonderful grilled shrimp appetizer and crispy crusted roasted chicken. Hugo had beef carpaccio which he said said was awful. His entree was the roasted beef rib eye which was excellent.

*American Icon Grill - appetizers: buffalo chicken Mac and cheese (blah). Louisiana chicken wings - great. I had pistachio encrusted salmon with mushrooms. One of the best salmon dishes I've ever had. Hugo had roasted flank steak which he said was really good.

Other meals we had in American Icon Grill were very good.

Lunch:

270 Cafe has great salads and sandwiches.

Seaplex Doghouse was just okay

American Icon Grill - very good menu & food

Windjammer Marketplace has had very good food overall.

Thanks for this informative review!

Thank you, DRAGONKEEPER, for such a nice review! I hope you, & everyone else enjoys the rest of your cruise. You will probably experience rough seas, again, today or tomorrow, as another cold front went off the East Coast, yesterday & today!

Ginger

View from E1 cabin on 7th

Thanks for the picture! Do you have any of an E1 inside showing the layout?

I have booked these rooms on three different cruises! Thanks!

Podgeandrodge what room did you take the balcony photo from? We will be in 6658 on deck 6 and I have been concerned with what kind of obstruction we will have and your room seems to be in a similar area just on deck 7.

Pics of E1 cabin for those who asked.

3bba53f749f0fde7158f872479732e04.jpg

bb2d06dda980ceca17e05a794fcd6cd3.jpg

639fcb9332fa10d7e4b17d17e818327d.jpg

c410d9b8c8068807736f3d0718d15aeb.jpg

0d95a42ed2498cb02e944a2ef148f85f.jpg

e4fa68ed73c2dda6ec8519407faa39d3.jpg

Scott, in relation to 6658, as I look over it. My guess is that you are 100% clear looking straight out at the ocean, and pretty much clear out to the left with the exception of a small vessel that may impact a tiny bit. Looking to the right you have a lifeboat which blocks view that direction, or you may get able to see slightly over it. So, obstruction wise, it wouldn't bother me, plenty of ocean to look at!

Pics of E1 cabin for those who asked.

[scott, in relation to 6658, as I look over it. My guess is that you are 100% clear looking straight out at the ocean, and pretty much clear out to the left with the exception of a small vessel that may impact a tiny bit. Looking to the right you have a lifeboat which blocks view that direction, or you may get able to see slightly over it. So, obstruction wise, it wouldn't bother me, plenty of ocean to look at!

Thanks for the pictures ! With a larger 82 sq ft balcony what type of chairs did you have ? Do you hang clothes in the closet next to the bed ?Thanks again! :D

Edited by alinnj

Podgeandrodge thank you so much for the pictures of the E1 cabin and balcony review. From looking at the outsideof the ship I was thinking thing same thing in terms of great views straight out and to the left. That is perfect for me. These cabins look amazing. Have a great rest of the cruise!

Podgeandrodge: Do you mind sharing your cabin #? We have booked an E1 and the deck plan description states there is a sofa (not a sofabed) and not just one chair. Thanks!

Yeah I just started to thread to discuss this on the Quantum sub-forum... That appears to be plainly false advertising by RCI.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2124277

Edited by Dave85

What difference does it make what will be on the menus? Just consider it a surprise and enjoy the anticipation to see what is there when you arrive at the restaurant.... Everyone knows that there will be GREAT entrees and enough variety to please almost everyone.

Of course it makes a difference. There aren't always a variety of great entrees, and I am a very choosy eater. I do not want to be surprised to find that there is nothing I like, or care to eat, on the menu.