Tell me about this "unlimited ice cream machine"

MaiTaiMary

Yes, it's serve yourself. No toppings. I can't even imagine the mess and the hands that would be in them. Kids (and adults) make enough mess of the ice cream, cones, and bowls.

Ice cream on Carnival is something I ended up trying to stay away from. Once you witness multiple kids (and adults probably doing the same) putting their mouths on the dispensers on multiple ships/sailings, the ice cream suddenly doesn't seem appealing or appetizing. You're right, though. If they served toppings near the ice cream machines, it would be a complete mess with sprinkles everywhere, etc.

Edited by Disconnections

My favorite photo from our first family cruise is all of us getting ice cream/frozen yogurt in our formal night clothes right after dinner. I found that I always had room for a little chocolate frozen yogurt. :) When lunch or dinner buffets are set out, you can also make messy ice cream cookie sandwiches. There's also the 24/7 hot chocolate machine, for the chillier nights. Put a little cool water in if it's too hot for the kids.

The frozen yogurt machines are cleaned often, and I've NEVER seen kids put their mouths up to the nozzle. I have seen them make a mess. Sometimes the crew can't keep up with the pace of the mess. There's at least a couple of stations on every ship. I like it. My kids like it. And we visit there several times during a cruise, but only if it's nice and tidy. :)

Ice cream on Carnival is something I ended up trying to stay away from. Once you witness multiple kids (and adults probably doing the same) putting their mouths on the dispensers on multiple ships/sailings, the ice cream suddenly doesn't seem appealing or appetizing. You're right, though. If they served toppings near the ice cream machines, it would be a complete mess with sprinkles everywhere, etc.

I have never seen this happen!!

sometimes they will have toppings set up over near the grill.

I'm trying to visualize the position one would have to be in in order to reach the spouts. :eek:

I have never seen that. Ever. And I have been on far more Carnival ships and cruises than you.

I too have never seen anyone put there mouth to the spigot. But I wouldn't be surprised that people have tried it, probably "well lubricated". :)

Also, I don't waste time on the cones. Use the bowls mostly but have started to migrate to the coffee mugs. :) And average 3 times a day at the machines, usually the choc/van swirl.

Some ships the frozen yogurt is on one side of the ship and ice cream on the other; others they are next to each other- so pay attention to labels.

It took us half of the first cruise to figure out why sometimes the ice cream tasted "bad" before we realized that side of the ship was frozen yogurt and the other side ice cream!

I have never seen this. I can imagine it, but have never seen it. Please video if you see it again, as there is nothing on Youtube I can find, and it would be something to see.

Were their heads completely upside down? Mouth facing up? Or were they trying the side slurp like a water fountain?

Have you seen anyone pour ice cream into hands and then push it into cone? Often this is the only explanation I can find for how much ice cream is all over the place?

Why do people fill cones or bowls and then leave them on the counter melting? Are these people who changed their minds, and just went straight to eating from the machines?

I do agree 100% about avoiding the areas. Unfortunately they get really messy. The employees who clean up the soft serve stations should be at the top of the tip pool.

I know. I know. This is my issue. I see plenty of people enjoying it very much, and I have been known to grab a cone when the station appears to have been recently cleaned.

Some ships the frozen yogurt is on one side of the ship and ice cream on the other; others they are next to each other- so pay attention to labels.

It took us half of the first cruise to figure out why sometimes the ice cream tasted "bad" before we realized that side of the ship was frozen yogurt and the other side ice cream!

each of the ships I've been on (5 or 6 now), they have been together. Never had to wander to the other side to get just ice cream. Plus, on a couple of the ships, there is an ice cream machine outside by the aft pool.

Have always seen them together on Carnival.

I find that an ice cream cone is a great appetizer while checking out the buffet, deciding what I want for lunch. Then another one after lunch. Then, mid-afternoon when I accidentally walk through the buffet area. And, then after the evening shows. Heck, I can't think of any time not to stop by for a quick ice cream fix. Yes, I do enjoy the ice cream on a cruise!!!