First Timer - Suite Questions

watchdiva

I'm in a suite right now and our butler brought MDR food one night and he brought it all at once and just plopped it down on the table and left. Didn't even take the lids off the plates.

This is absolutely not the way they are to serve dinner in a suite. We had at least 3, if not 4, separate servings. Appetizer, salad, main & dessert. I would bring up the issue with management.

They are currently charging $5 per person for suites passengers on Infinity to eat dinner at Blu!! We were shocked that they're nickel-and-dimeing us!

We did not pay $5 on Equinox or Eclipse. I wonder why they are charging it on Infinity.

I read the Suites Class Announcement (attached) and took that paragraph on Blu & the $ 5 charge to be something that is to be discontinued... YES

BUT only once Suite Class & the new perks come into existence (April 2015)

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/General_Info/Flyers/14037410_CEL_Suites_FAQs.pdf

Top of Page 1 = Effective Dates by Ship

Bottom Page 4 = Blu Charges & How they apply

Cheers!

They didn't make an announcement separately, but it's something that doesn't add a lot of value now and has already been soft launched as I understand, with many already not being charged (as ChezMaryLou mentioned).

This is absolutely not the way they are to serve dinner in a suite. We had at least 3, if not 4, separate servings. Appetizer, salad, main & dessert. I would bring up the issue with management.

We did not pay $5 on Equinox or Eclipse. I wonder why they are charging it on Infinity.

I was not charged the $5 to eat in Blu on the Infinity last year.

The entire suite benefits being launched as of April is obviously not totally rights otherwise Michael's club would not be open as it is on all ships. Some of the benefits have been launched already, and many thought the $5 suggested fee/gratuity for Blu had gone the way of the dodo but apparently, as sometimes happens, changes are slow and service can be inconsistent.

We've had dinner served in courses for sure. Our butlers have asked how we'd prefer our meal to be delivered and have gladly obliged, but some butlers are certainly better than others. I'd probably confirm how I want the meal delivered when I ordered. There are times when we want a super low key meal after a long day ashore we'd prefer one delivery.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Edited by need2bespoiled

We were in an S1 (sky suite) on Silhoutte from 9-23 to 10-4 this year and our butler was also "untrained". He put the tray down on the table and left. At least once each day, we had to ask for wine glasses. When he came around with the afternoon treats, I asked for ice tea and he brought it once.

Our last cruise an S1 on Equinox, the butler brought a ice tea every day and also scrimp cocktail and non-sugar treats.

We did not complain because DH does not like to, but one day a supervisor came to the door and asked if the butler was doing a good job, so I think others complained. DH told the supervisor he was "ok", but a think the supervisor could tell that we were not thrilled.The next day, a different butler brought our food and set up the table properly. Our butler did for a couple to times and then stopped.

We were still having to call once or twice a day to get wine glasses. Our steward was great.

We were really surprised when our butler showed up as we were leaving the cabin on the last day to wish us well (I assume to get a tip!). We did not tip him. Unlike NCL, he was auto tipped each day by each of us. We added extra tips for our waiter and assistant waiter and steward. All in all, butler service needs to be uniform on Celebrity for us to book a suite again.

We've sailed in suites twice, both times over New Years with a very full ship. Our butlers were both very good at their job, even calling to make sure we were in our suite because he was on his way with our daily cappuccino. All of our in suite meals were served with a table cloth, and dinner was served course by course.

Can't wait for our next 2 cruises.

Mary Lou

Overall, I think Celebrity needs to up their Butler training and the Butler aspect. It's not consistent, its a mediocre service level at best and most often, its a confusing arrangement.

While I am sure that there are bad butlers on Celebrity, we have been lucky enough never to have come across them and totally unfair to say that all Celebrity butlers provide "a mediocre service level at best". If you want "mediocre" service from butlers, try Raffles in Singapore.

I had better Butlers on other lines.

I have had one horrible Butler on Celebrity so leaving it as mediocre as an average from my Celebrity Suite experiences is fair enough. I could have said horrible despite the others were mediocre. I tossed the low score out.

Those are my experiences and my opinions. I wish mine matched yours, but I will stand firm on Celebrity needing to up their game.

As I said I've had better Butlers on other lines. I'm not looking for bad Butlers I'm looking for great ones. I'll be in a suite again and have no expectations about the Butler. It's a non event, I'm buying the cabin space and layout, not the aspect of staff.

Edited by MizDemeanor

"mediocre" to me means "hit and miss" "inconsistent" etc.

My experience is butlers are certainly mediocre, some are amazing, some seem like nothing more than an assistant cabin steward dressed up who has no idea what really needs done.

I'm running about 25% awesome, 50% OK, and 25% that were terrible. This would be the definition of mediocre.

"mediocre" to me means "hit and miss" "inconsistent" etc.

My experience is butlers are certainly mediocre, some are amazing, some seem like nothing more than an assistant cabin steward dressed up who has no idea what really needs done.

I'm running about 25% awesome, 50% ok, and 25% that were terrible. This would be the definition of mediocre.

i whole heartly agree with you. We have been sailing with celebrity since it took over chantris. (hope spelling is correct) getting to the point, we have had good, bad and mediocre service. Having the "suite experiance" is our reason for cruising and if a butler is not doing his /hers job, i have no qualms with speaking to them about it. In most cases it has been a matter of a bad day, the situation is resolved and life is happy again. But there have been times when i sent for the head of housekeeping demanding a change (which i did get immediately) but the truth of the matter is, the staff are very hard working people and like us have good and bad days. I give them much respect for their handling of their job and the people they have to deal with on a regular basis. I for one could not do it!

i whole heartly agree with you. We have been sailing with celebrity since it took over chantris. (hope spelling is correct) ... I give them much respect for their handling of their job and the people they have to deal with on a regular basis. I for one could not do it!

It was actually Chandris (with a D) - offered just as a point of info following up your spelling mention, not to be nitpicky :)

I agree strongly with you about the staff on board and people they must deal with daily. Some if them, I'd want to smack upside the head.