Cheese plate in MDR?

tbugstwo

Hi all

We love to go to Cellarmasters (on the S class)

After dinner where there is usually a good selection

and have a nice glass of Port.

Don't know what we will do when they become Gastro Pubs.

Prior to dinner there is always a nice selection in the Buffet,

Lovely to take back to the cabin and watch the waves from the balcony

Whilst having a nice glass of wine or port,

Several posters have mentioned this or something similar. Is there food available all daylong at the buffet or is it just open earlier for dinner than is the MDR?

.... Is there food available all daylong at the buffet or is it just open earlier for dinner than is the MDR?

From lunch time through late evening the only food always available at the buffet is pizza, salad bar, pasta bar and the ice cream station. There is almost always something else available but there will be times when they're changing selections when something else might not be available for a short period.

On our last cruise they had cheeses out, along with crackers, in the mid afternoon but took that down before they started the afternoon tea at 4PM. So we tried to remember to grab some cheese before then to enjoy in our room or at the aft bar with our wine. You can also order a cheese plate from room service but sometimes the wait is very long so order well in advance.

Edited by Lsimon

Anyone remember the proper cheese cart that they had at Olympic? When that cover went back, the smell was amazing. I remember seeing the cart, empty, sitting in the back hall on a subsequent cruise. Sad.

We had the same issue on our December 2013, Asia cruise. The cheese cart was non-existent. The head waiter said it hadn't been prepared that evening.

Overall, our Olympic experience was quite sad compared to the two other sailings we've had on Millenium.

Take care,

Mike

It has been a few years since I have dined regularly in the MDR on a Celebrity ship. However, I fondly recall on my 2011 Millennium cruise how much I enjoyed dinners during our late seating with the dining companions at our table. There were two cousins from the UK, a 40-something married couple from London, and two older gentlemen from the USA. Somehow we all managed to hit it off well and each evening was so much fun. We all enjoyed cheese and preferred that to a dessert course. After dinner on the 2nd night, the waiter would automatically bring out a small platter that was piled high with a variety of cheeses. If we liked one more than another, he adjusted the ratio accordingly on the following nights. No special requests were made and no "bribing" occurred. The waiter was very proactive and intuitive, which exceeded our expectations. This may be an artifact of the past, but it is a memory I will cherish.

There are many nights I would like cheese instead of dessert.

On Carnival they serve a plate of five cheeses (gouda, swiss, bleu, brie and something else I can't remember), along with rye rounds and fruit.

Should I expect a variety of cheeses like that.

I can't wait, love finishing with that and a glass of wine.

A very nice idea though is to get it "to go". Do they allow that or I should I order it from room service?

You can just order a cheese plate from room service. If you book concierge class of higher you can tell your cabin attendant that you would like a daily cheese plate and it would be in your cabin around 4p.m. - maybe you could get the same service at lower cabin levels, I really don't know.

Don't worry - on Celebrity you can almost always get what you are looking for.

You can just order a cheese plate from room service. If you book concierge class of higher you can tell your cabin attendant that you would like a daily cheese plate and it would be in your cabin around 4p.m. - maybe you could get the same service at lower cabin levels, I really don't know.

Don't worry - on Celebrity you can almost always get what you are looking for.

Having my first Celebrity cruise soon.

Love a cheese plate and on late diner.

Any idea what's on the plate as herself isn't as much of a cheese hound as me.

Usually order a cheese or fruit plate for dessert on cruises. The cheese plates on the Century a couple of weeks ago were poor. Cheddar, Edam, Swiss with something different occasionally, Brie, maybe a goat cheese mix log, or a blue. Crackers were hit and miss as were the advertised nuts and balsamic reduction. Goes along with the lower quality menu items.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Usually order a cheese or fruit plate for dessert on cruises. The cheese plates on the Century a couple of weeks ago were poor. Cheddar, Edam, Swiss with something different occasionally, Brie, maybe a goat cheese mix log, or a blue. Crackers were hit and miss as were the advertised nuts and balsamic reduction. Goes along with the lower quality menu items.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

oh...not what I hoped for...

Any idea what's on the plate as herself isn't as much of a cheese hound as me.

Oh, the usual cheese selection, but nothing out of this world - a couple of cheddars, blue cheese, brie, and also some crackers. It is not a gourmet's dream but it's OK.