what to do about packing outerwear

lauren0309

Most don’t bring a heavy jacket. Average temps for June will be 45-60 degrees. Layering is a better way to go with a light weight rainproof jacket with a hood for your outer protection. Other than that several layers that can be added or removed based on the temperatures and activities. T-shirts, sweatshirts, sweaters, etc for your layers. Gloves and a hat are good too, particularly around glaciers.

I agree with Glaciers (but the quote function isn't working for me :) ) .... it isn't 80F when I travel, so I tie my outermost layer (a waterproof jacket) around my waist and I wear my heavy footwear. I find that removes enough bulk from my luggage that I'm not worried about it.

My my June 1st cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage, we will be cruising through Glacier Bay and College Fjords which can be cold while on the deck or balcony so I'll be packing:

• insulated under layer (e.g., Capilene by Patagonia, Cuddle Duds or UnderArmour)
  • long sleeve shirt
  • heavier pants (e.g., jeans)
  • fleece jacket
  • waterPROOF (not water-resistant) Heley Hansen jacket (long over my butt)
  • gloves
  • ear muffs
  • hat
  • scarf

hope this helps.

My my June 1st cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage, we will be cruising through Glacier Bay and College Fjords which can be cold while on the deck or balcony so I'll be packing:

• insulated under layer (e.g., Capilene by Patagonia, Cuddle Duds or UnderArmour)
  • long sleeve shirt
  • heavier pants (e.g., jeans)
  • fleece jacket
  • waterPROOF (not water-resistant) Heley Hansen jacket (long over my butt)
  • gloves
  • ear muffs
  • hat
  • scarf

hope this helps.

The above is what I have packed for all of my Alaska cruises (May, July, and Sep). These work on glacier walks, flightseeing, whale watching, and after-dark on deck.

I'm leaving for a cruise the end of June. Average temps here will be in the

80's. Do I pack a heavy jacket in my luggage which will add weight to it or do I wear it at the airport and sweat it out and look ridiculous.

Hi Lauren

First of all, being from Mahwah, NJ, you shouldn't need any jacket. Us Northeasterners 'Love' that cold weather. :D:D:D:D

really, no need for any sort of warm weather jacket. If you are at all concerned about being cold, pack a nice hoodie, or better yet, buy one at your first port of call. Most of the ports are not that cold, and a long sleeve shirt and windbreaker will suffice just fine.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

Thanks for your replies. I guess I'll leave my heavy winter jacket home. I have a lined raincoat with a hood and I think I'll buy a sweatshirt at the first port stop. I also have a light fleece jacket.

You also might want to pack a pair of gloves. It can get cold on deck in the glacier areas. My wife forgot hers and so did I on our last Alaska cruise. But she toughed it out and got some great pictures!

Happy cruising!

Instead of carrying a waterproof rain coat/jacket, you may want to consider ponchos. I travel with at least 3 packs (2 ponchos per pack), and they're light weight enough to stuff in a pocket or camera bag. I think an over-sized hoody to go over your layering is about as heavy as you need to go.

Who cares what folks in the airport think??? I certainly don't. I carry my jacket on the aircraft with me (and have sometimes needed it for the a/c air on the plane).

I live in Southern California, but do not do well in the cold climes. I've done a 7day cruise in May and had an ankle length fleece lined rain coat with gloves and scarf. My second time to Alaska was a cruisetour in August and I took a ski jacket. And anytime I was out of the coach I was glad to have it.

Only you know your tolerance to wet/cold weather. Dress accordingly not to what other people will think.

Have a great trip!