How does Conquest dock in POM?

jdcml

Yah, ok, crazy minutia question...but you guys on this board are so good at it!

Just got our balcony assignment for an upcoming Conquest trip and we are on the starboard side. Any consensus on how it will be docked in POM or does it vary? We like to watch the luggage and food get loaded on... and most importantly the ropes cast off!

Just got our balcony assignment for an upcoming Conquest trip and we are on the starboard side. Any consensus on how it will be docked in POM or does it vary? We like to watch the luggage and food get loaded on... and most importantly the ropes cast off!

Depends how they come in. I don't know what time the Conquest comes in. In a perfect world they would be facing the sea which means you would be facing the dock and be able to see the dock activity.

Just got off the Conquest on 10/19/14, and when we boarded the ship, port side was facing the dock (we were in 7434), and then when we left port we had to go down to the turning basin and turn around which was interesting, you get to see both sides regardless of which side of the boat you are on. However when we came back into port to dock we also went down to the turning basin and turned around so that the ship was forward to head out to sea. Guess it just depends on the timing and when they arrive to port. It could go either way. I personally like the turning basin it gave you both views. Hope you have a great cruise, it is a wonderful ship!:D

To sound more nautical and less landlubber, those would be lines, not ropes. The common definition of "rope" at sea is "a piece of line which does not have a function". So the only place you would see "rope" is in the bosun's storeroom on a coil. :D

To sound more nautical and less landlubber, those would be lines, not ropes. The common definition of "rope" at sea is "a piece of line which does not have a function". So the only place you would see "rope" is in the bosun's storeroom on a coil. :D

My apologies. As a son of a USCG Commander I should have known better :).

While I'd didn't get a definitive answer to my question (since apparently one doesn't exist!), I did get a refresher on nautical terms! The amount of knowledge on these boards never ends!

My apologies. As a son of a USCG Commander I should have known better :).

While I'd didn't get a definitive answer to my question (since apparently one doesn't exist!), I did get a refresher on nautical terms! The amount of knowledge on these boards never ends!

My thanks to your father for his service. I just couldn't resist about the lines. :D Truth of the matter is, I've seen Carnival ships docked each side to in Miami, so I think it depends on the number of ships in port, the order of arrival, weather, tides, etc, etc. Probably no way to predict. May be best to go to the Lido and pull some chairs close to the windows to watch the storing and unmooring.

Which begs the question what the difference is between a bosun and and bosun mate. I had originally thought a bosun was a deck hand....

Which begs the question what the difference is between a bosun and and bosun mate. I had originally thought a bosun was a deck hand....

In the US Navy, a bosun (or boatswain) is a warrant officer, while a bosun's mate is a petty officer. Warrant officers are usually senior enlisted men, who have been given officer status in their specialty. The bosun is the senior member of the deck department (generally only on the larger ships), and is responsible for general hull maintenance, and ship operations like docking. The bosun's mates are the petty officers (NCO's) in the deck department. Smaller ship deck departments will be headed by a Chief Bosun's Mate, or even a First Class.

Merchant ships will have a rating of bosun, who is the senior unlicensed member of the deck department, but not bosun's mates. Working under the bosun are the able seamen and ordinary seamen.

Not sure if you are familiar with the USMC, but the difference between a bosun and bosun's mate is the same as between a Marine Gunner and a Gunnery Sergeant.

Edited by chengkp75

In the US Navy, a bosun (or boatswain) is a warrant officer, while a bosun's mate is a petty officer. Warrant officers are usually senior enlisted men, who have been given officer status in their specialty. The bosun is the senior member of the deck department (generally only on the larger ships), and is responsible for general hull maintenance, and ship operations like docking. The bosun's mates are the petty officers (NCO's) in the deck department. Smaller ship deck departments will be headed by a Chief Bosun's Mate, or even a First Class.

Merchant ships will have a rating of bosun, who is the senior unlicensed member of the deck department, but not bosun's mates. Working under the bosun are the able seamen and ordinary seamen.

So some positions are licensed, as in they are tested or something to get to that position?

So some positions are licensed, as in they are tested or something to get to that position?

Yes, deck and engine officers are licensed for their positions. A merchant ship's officer license is similar to any professional license, and carries with it the personal liability for their actions and the actions of those under them, again, much like a military commissioned officer. Licensing varies from country to country, though the STCW requirements of the IMO have somewhat standardized requirements. Generally, there is a requirement for sea experience (or graduation from a maritime university), a background check, physical fitness requirements, marine training and certification in fire fighting, lifesaving, crowd management, radar course plotting, etc, and testing in professional competency for obtaining an original license or upgrading to the next level.

Unlicensed crew (US terminology) or ratings (international terminology) require less sea experience, and are tested in specific areas of competency (diesel engines, electricity, HVAC, seamanship, etc) as well as the some of the safety training mentioned above. Unlicensed crew are not officers, and cannot command.

Rather than hijack this thread, go over to the "Ask a cruise question" forum where Sparks has started a thread about cruise ship job opportunities, and I'm answering questions about qualifications, etc. I'd be glad to answer any questions posed.

Edited by chengkp75

Yes, deck and engine officers are licensed for their positions. A merchant ship's officer license is similar to any professional license, and carries with it the personal liability for their actions and the actions of those under them, again, much like a military commissioned officer. Licensing varies from country to country, though the STCW requirements of the IMO have somewhat standardized requirements. Generally, there is a requirement for sea experience (or graduation from a maritime university), a background check, physical fitness requirements, marine training and certification in fire fighting, lifesaving, crowd management, radar course plotting, etc, and testing in professional competency for obtaining an original license or upgrading to the next level.

Unlicensed crew (US terminology) or ratings (international terminology) require less sea experience, and are tested in specific areas of competency (diesel engines, electricity, HVAC, seamanship, etc) as well as the some of the safety training mentioned above. Unlicensed crew are not officers, and cannot command.

Rather than hijack this thread, go over to the "Ask a cruise question" forum where Sparks has started a thread about cruise ship job opportunities, and I'm answering questions about qualifications, etc. I'd be glad to answer any questions posed.

Thanks, Op, sorry for stealing the thread.

Thanks, Op, sorry for stealing the thread.

Ha! No worries. My question was answered with a non-answer already!

I hesitated to even post such an unimportant question, but now I feel like it may have actually some value in the end :).