First Timer - Just off Golden Princess

wspatton

Hi all!

I was a first timer who just got off the Golden 5/16. Had a fantastic time and I thought I would comment on the fashions as I saw them - not give advice or my opinion, but try to tell you what I saw and what I did.

I will preface by telling you I was VERY nervous about my wardrobe before the cruise. I lead a pretty casual lifestyle at home but I know what nice clothes are - I think I have pretty good taste but am not used to dressing up. Going back on these boards you might find me asking many agonized questions!

Daytime - the ship and the excursions were VERY CASUAL. We had five stops with three water-related excursions; the other two were walking or riding tours. I had packed lots of nice linen shorts and capris with nice tops to go with them. I only wore them on the riding tours. For the water excursions you really need only pull on water shorts (over your bathing suit) and some sort of tank top or tee shirt, but MUCH more casual than I had brought with me. Also, all the snorkeling boats we went on had you remove your shoes for the duration of the trip. So don't worry about water shoes for these; we did need them in Aruba as the volcanic rock near the bridges and beaches was very sharp. After being in the water, you will get very nasty and you do not always have a place to clean up or time to go back to the ship to clean up before going shopping - shopping or ship? The choice is simple - you shop looking like a mess! You will not be alone. If you are not getting wet on your excursion, you can get away with a nicer outfit, but it is very hot and very windy almost everywhere. You will want a hat of some type; find one that will stay on. All of my pix have me holding on my baseball cap! We carried a back pack with all our stuff in it on excursions.

Smart Casual Evenings - After getting so messy, wet and hot during the day it was great fun and a great relief to clean up pretty for dinner. I wore nice sun dresses or skirts every night with a low strappy sandal. I found myself a small tropical "fun" bag to carry with all my outfits. I felt just right. Saw many nice, dressy capris and pants too. For the most part, the people I saw looked very tasteful and classy. I personally thought those dressed in what I would consider "formal" looked out of place and a little silly and over the top. I have heard it mention to dress like you are going to a better restaurant and that is true. Most people looked very resort-y, conservative and well-dressed.

Formal Nights - The people on our ship looked great! There were quite a few tuxedos amongst the mostly dark suits. Very few sport coat / khakis outfits on the men. The women looked beautiful! These well-dressed, classy women looked great in everything from short cocktail to long sparkly formal. All looked appropriate as they all took the time to put together their outfits, whether long or short. Just as many shorter as longer, too, I might add. There was a group on the ship for their high school senior trip and they looked darling in their prom dresses! Many older women were sparkly too, but you absolutely do not need to have that type of dress. Definitely cocktail and above, though, is what I saw. Satins, lace, silk, crepes, chiffon - many different colors. While some wore Sunday church clothes, they were very much in the minority. I wore a sequin top with chiffon/sequin skirt right at the ankle and higher, dressier sandals and nice cz jewelry the first formal night. Again, I felt just right. The second formal night I wore a tea length plain crepe spahetti strap column type dress and felt great. The first formal night IS more dressy than the second, whether it is supposed to be or not.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised that I fit in so well! People were so nice and I did not see any raised eye brows on anyone dressing fancier than someone else. A very good experience! I wore every thing I brought for evening and almost nothing I brought for day! I will bring much more casual day clothes next time than what I brought this time.

If anyone has any more specific questions, I would be glad to help! If you are like me, you want to be comfortable but you want to fit in too. It IS possible!

Mary

<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="#000000">Bill & Mary</FONT></FONT>

<FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">Golden Princess: May 9, 2004</FONT></FONT>

<FONT SIZE="3"><span style="border:blue double 5px;"><span style="background-color:#000066;"><FONT COLOR="#33CCFF">~~~ Bummed Out!!! It's Over icon_frown.gif ~~~</span></span></FONT></FONT></p>

Hi Maryicon_smile.gif welcome back and I am glad you had such a good time...just one item....cruising is VERY addicting icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif...don't be surprised if you feel like you are going with withdrawls!

The best cure is to book another cruise icon_smile.gif

Next up...HORIZON Sept 18th to Bermuda!

See My Century and Mercury Pictures at:

http://community.webshots.com/user/lovescruising

Hi Lois!

We do have Post Cruise Depression! It was the best, most relaxing vacation I have ever had even though it was probably the busiest! I am already checking out the possibilities for next time!

Now that I have answered my own fashion questions, I think the next one will be even more fun!

Mary

<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="#000000">Bill & Mary</FONT></FONT>

<FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">Golden Princess: May 9, 2004</FONT></FONT>

<FONT SIZE="3"><span style="border:blue double 5px;"><span style="background-color:#000066;"><FONT COLOR="#33CCFF">~~~ Bummed Out!!! It's Over icon_frown.gif ~~~</span></span></FONT></FONT></p>

Thanks so much for your cruise review. Myself and my fiance (age 47 @ 52) will be cruising on the Golden 7/11/04, and what you shared was most helpful since this will be our first cuise too. I have already started getting everything together; tux bought (great price) for Frank, and I got two very classy beaded black and white formals, and the rest of my day and night outfits fit pretty much what you found on the cruise. But I will tell you, planning for this cruise was quite stressful, and glad pretty much all that is left is packing it all in.

Again, thanks for sharing icon_smile.gif

Shirley

It's always great to hear a positive review, I'm so glad you had a good time. To tell you the truth, I knew exactly what you were going to say, it's pretty much the same for everyone.

I am going to Alaska with a group of friends/relatives this August. Since most of them have never cruised, I have been writing an occasional newsletter for them to use as a guide, or to line their cat box. The first thing I stated regarding the clothing issue was, look in your closet, you probably have all you need right now. Save the fashion $$ for an evening gown, or a new pair of shoes. That and trim your packing, you will need less than half the stuff you take along. I know it is not in step with the diva in most of us, but packing light has many advantages.

Now, start planning your next cruise!

Kathy

Mary,

Welcome home. Glad you had such a great time.

Thanks for the fashion report. Yes, I would expect daytime attire on islands to be very casual (as opposed to walking through European cities). And I'm glad to hear about the evening attire, that you didn't see slobs in cut-offs or khaki's walking into the dining room.

As others have said, the best way to "cure" your post-cruise depression, is to book the next one! icon_biggrin.gif

Jane

I'm glad to hear that your first cruise was such a success! It sounds like the Princess cruisers had their attire down pat! Thanks for taking the time to let us all know.

bookworm2.gif

Navigator OTS 10/04

Legend 04/04

Grand Princess 09/03

Dawn Princess 01/03

Enchantment OTS 10/02

Destiny 01/02

Sensation 08/99

Sounds like you had a great time and all in all sounds like a fashion hit. LOL

Kim

Dawn Princess

Regal Princess