Which ship has the giant X on the side, over the veranda glass

cle-guy

I believe only 1 of the S class ships had the giant X emblazoned on the side over all deck's veranda glass.

Can anyone say for sure which it is?

I've noticed many photos on-line have the S class ships used interchangeably and sometimes have had the ship name photoshopped out and image searches for this reason are proving useless.

Logically, I'd assume it would have been the very first of the S class ships (again, not sure which this was, assume Solstice???) and after it was launched people complained about the blocked views from verandas and it stopped on subsequent builds.

Any info is appreciated!

I believe only 1 of the S class ships had the giant X emblazoned on the side over all deck's veranda glass.

Can anyone say for sure which it is?

I've noticed many photos on-line have the S class ships used interchangeably and sometimes have had the ship name photoshopped out and image searches for this reason are proving useless.

Logically, I'd assume it would have been the very first of the S class ships (again, not sure which this was, assume Solstice???) and after it was launched people complained about the blocked views from verandas and it stopped on subsequent builds.

Any info is appreciated!

Solstice, the first in the class.

I'm am looking at photos from jan 4 - 11 2009 Solstice inaugural season

There is a large picture in my folio that is angled away so it is not shown

But there is a pic of my DH and I with various shots of the ship in & out

On the left there us an outside shot that does show a big X across the balconies at the bump out

I can't figure out how to do pictures without an outside ISP

Linda

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Solstice class = S Class = ships are called that because the Solstice was first, and yes, it has an x on the side -- there are dozens of photos of it (not Celebrity advertising, but taken by passengers and passers-by) on Google.

Thanks.

I've also found dozens of ships images on google image search titled Silhouette that also has the giant X on the side. That's what made me wonder which it really was, as I had assumed it was Solstice.

I'm on a Sillie cruise in a month or so, and my Travel Agent keeps posting images of a ship with the giant X on the side, and I thought that was the wrong ship image!

For cruise ship photos by first stop is Andreas Depping's photo site of the Celebrity Ships built at Meyer Werft in Germany (as well as other ships built there): http://www.depping-design.de/test/index.php?cat=24

I recall when the Solstice first came out there was a lot of discussion on these boards critizing the X on the mid ship cabins as it was done by frosting the otherwise clear glass on the veranda railings. There was also a lot of criticism that Celebrity didn't mark the ship's stacks with the X. I guess Celebrity took note and agreed as none of the other S class ships had the X on the side and all have the X on the stacks, including one later added to the Solstice.

The Solstice has the X:

solstice02b.jpg

The others, including the Silhouette do not:

IMGP9423.JPG

...I've also found dozens of ships images on google image search titled Silhouette that also has the giant X on the side. ...

Yea, you tend to see a lot of stock photos on those Google searches which used the Solstice even though the related page is about the Silhouette. You can tell the true photos of the Silhouette if they are clear enough, and large enough, to make out the name of the ship on the bow or aft.

Edited by Lsimon

I also recall the long discussions about whether the X would obscure the balc view when pax are seated...,long time ago.

Turned out S class is very popular!

Edited by hcat

The S on the side is the easiest way to tell Solstice from Equinox and Eclipse. Silhouette has less blue rear deck without cabins, and Reflection has the same, and a slightly different profile with an extra half deck up by the pool, and a different look on the front port side with the reflection suite. Harder to tell, but can help to see if the names were photo-shopped in or a stock photo.

It's not surprising that many stock photos still use the first in a series.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We are on the Solstice in December. Our cabin is one of the ones with x on the balcony glass. I will make sure I take a photo of the balcony especially if I think the x does obscure you view while seated.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Thanks.

I've also found dozens of ships images on google image search titled Silhouette that also has the giant X on the side. That's what made me wonder which it really was, as I had assumed it was Solstice.

I'm on a Sillie cruise in a month or so, and my Travel Agent keeps posting images of a ship with the giant X on the side, and I thought that was the wrong ship image!

DW and I were on Silhouette in August, no X on the side but did have it for sure on Solstice in 2012....