Worried about my dream cruise

Johalla

OK other than an Alaskan cruise someday, my dream cruise has been to go on one of the huge ships Allure/Oasis. They look so cool and have so much onboard.

But.

I was reading some reviews on the negative side of the house and now I am worried that my dream would be shattered when we can finally swing one of these monster ships. Especially from folks that have cruised on other ships I saw complaints about the comparatively small dining areas and long lines for practically everything. I even heard you have to reserve shows before you even sail or you are out of luck. And not only long lines just to eat, they constantly ask you to move along because they need the room.

Is this all true? :eek:

Edited by Johalla

OK other than an Alaskan cruise someday, my dream cruise has been to go on one of the huge ships Allure/Oasis. They look so cool and have so much onboard.

But.

I was reading some reviews on the negative side of the house and now I am worried that my dream would be shattered when we can finally swing one of these monster ships. Especially from folks that have cruised on other ships I saw complaints about the comparatively small dining areas and long lines for practically everything. I even heard you have to reserve shows before you even sail or you are out of luck. And not only long lines just to eat, they constantly ask you to move along because they need the room.

I never thought I wanted to take a monstrous ship like the Oasis and finally broke down and took it. I have been on her twice and going on her and the Allure Nov. 1 and Nov. 9. If I had those problems I certainly wouldn't be going on it for a third and 4th time because I do not like crowds. I love this ship and all my friends that have gone on it after me have loved it. There is never a dull moment and the crew is so friendly. You will have those that like the personal touches of small ships that don't like the big ships - I was a Princess lover but now I am a Royal snob and proud of it. :):)

But.

I think that is the Windjammer. Avoid it and you should be fine. WAY too many other places to eat on those ships.

Yes, you do have to reserve shows but I dont think they turn you away if you dont. Not sure about that.

Take most reviews on the review section of this site with a grain of salt. The pros of an Oasis class ship should greatly outweigh the cons.

I have NOT cruised on other ships, but was on the Allure March 2014 (and going back again for two weeks Jan 2015).

We did not have issues with lines, we booked our shows via the TV in our stateroom, and I never had an issue with restaurants. Maybe we got lucky, but I was surprised at how much space the boat actually had. I never felt like it was rammed with people.

The only line that got really long was for the Floriders, but people were watching from the stands too, and it made for a fun environment. If you really want to ride them a lot, I'd say go on days when the boat is in a port.

We saw two shows, and went to a couple of the upcharge dining options. I would do a few things differently next time, but obviously we loved it as we're going back on the same boat again less than 10 months later... :D And it's not like we live beside the port or anything, so we're putting our money where our mouth is! lol

We've never been asked to leave (hurry along) a dining establishment on the Oasis or Allure, or any other cruise ship, for that matter. with that, I will tell you that there is an overwhelming feeling on the Oasis/Allure that if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, you will fight crowds. The trick is knowing how to avoid them. For example, stay away from the Windjammer on embarkation day, and mid mornings. Or, when trecking your way to the gangway to go ashore, try to avoid the elevators, they will be packed.

My family of 5 first went on FOS and then one year later, we went on Oasis of the Seas. We had a great time on FOS. Oasis topped it. I think for me, it was the entertainment was better on Oasis and there were more areas to explore. I was worried about the crowds, but there were only 2 times I felt the crowds. One was the day we arrived in St.Thomas. The ship arrives at 10 am and everyone was lined up to disembark. The halls and stairwells just kept getting more crowded. The only other time I felt the crowds was at breakfast in the Windjammer on the day of disembarkation. The waiters were seating everyone as tables opened up, so we really ended up waiting about 10 minutes for a table.

It is a pain lining up entertainment before you go. We missed our reservation for the comedy show and never was able to get in again. That is probably the only show that is hard to get into. We did MTD and it was awesome. Dinner was over in an hour and since we had our 3 teens at dinner, it worked out great. Our teens were in a hurry to get to their activities.

But.

You need to experience a "mega" ship at least once to decide if you like it. I've been on Oasis & Allure. (I liked the Aqua show on the Oasis better than the one on Allure.) Making reservations for the shows is not a problem since you are already an online cruiser. If you do a little research on this site you'll find valuable tips to ensure you have a perfect time like going to the "Park Cafe" as soon as you board instead of the Windjammer. Waiting in lines is all about timing and you'll soon learn how to avoid them. So just DO IT, you won't regret it! Happy sailing!

Cheers!

Joyce

Our expectations have been exceeded on each and every cruise with RCCL, and we've been on 16. I have a Grandson that is now 20. From the time he was a small child, he has avoided long lines, even in Disney. He is such a fan of cruises that on our last land based vacation, he said he thought going on a land trip would be good, but was disappointed. We've now booked another cruise that will include my Grandson and we're taking a friend of his who has never cruised. We've only encountered a line or a crowd on embarkation day in the Windjammer and when the show is over and everyone is emptying the theater, which I think is normal for any theater or live show anywhere you go. It's so much fun for 3 generations of us to each have things we enjoy without burdening the others to do and enjoy OUR favorites. We seldom even run into each other during the day. We have dinner in the evening together and get to hear about everyone's day or plans for the next day. Your family will love it.

If you are ever looking for a nice, peaceful, quiet place to get away from people, go sit in Central Park. It is like a quiet oasis (no pun intended) in the middle of the "city" (just like the real thing!). It was so beautiful and really felt like you were outside amongst the greenery. At night they have music and the lights change colors- really a pretty place. I loved Allure and I'd go on her again in a heartbeat!!!

But.

Whoever told you that a waiter told you to "move along they need the room" is lying, flat out.:rolleyes::rolleyes: Have sailed 4 times on Oasis and 6 times on Allure and as far as lines, mostly the windjammer. And yes you reserve your shows online which is very easy and simple to do. If for some strange reason you wouldn't want to do this then yes you wait in a line until ten minutes before showtime. As far as "small" dining areas, have no clue what you could be referring to?:rolleyes:

We've never been asked to leave (hurry along) a dining establishment on the Oasis or Allure, or any other cruise ship, for that matter. with that, I will tell you that there is an overwhelming feeling on the Oasis/Allure that if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, you will fight crowds. The trick is knowing how to avoid them. For example, stay away from the Windjammer on embarkation day, and mid mornings. Or, when trecking your way to the gangway to go ashore, try to avoid the elevators, they will be packed.

That's true for any of the ships really. Basically any time something seems insanely obvious for you to do, assume other people feel the same way. Breakfast at the Windjammer an hour before the ship is due to let you off in port? You aren't the only one that will want that. Go a little earlier or get room service and problem solved.

That's true for any of the ships really. Basically any time something seems insanely obvious for you to do, assume other people feel the same way. Breakfast at the Windjammer an hour before the ship is due to let you off in port? You aren't the only one that will want that. Go a little earlier or get room service and problem solved.

Or the 'Jammer on embarkation day at about 11:30-12:00 is pretty overwhelming. And possibly overwhelmed. Two hours later, everything's cleared back out.

I've been on all classes of Royal ships, there are things I like more about some. Overall, Oasis is my least favorite class. BUT there are circumstances that I would sail her again. Specifically, if I was bringing teens on a cruise, if I was planning a cruise where I expected to stay on the ship, or if the nightly entertainment was a high priority.

I would NOT sail her if my highest concerns were the ports of call, spending time viewing the ocean, or feeling like you are sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been on the Allure in 2012 and sailing her again in 2015. There are some things you have to do that are different from the smaller ship, but the Allure is sooooooo much fun. The shows are great, the entertainment is wonderful, something going on all the time. Zumba, Spinning in the gym .

Something going on all the time and if you want quiet time you have that ability

Yes, you have to make reservations for some shows, but these shows are outstanding. There are many eating places, most people don't know they exist. Example most people think there is the dining room and the buffet, however, ther is the park cafe for wonderful salads and sandwiches. There is a healthy buffet at the bistro up by the Spa the serves great food and is not crowded. There is Johnny Rockets that serves Breakfast no lines. The ship is big so half the people don't know these exist

The crowds on Oasis and Allure are handled better than any of the other ships I have been on. It can be crazy in the Windjammer - but that happens on every ship..... if there is a line you have other options. We Sailed Allure a few weeks back and the only line we had was for My Time Dining. Getting on and off the ship was a breeze.

It's a definite must do........at least in my book. We will book the Oasis 3 ship ASAP. Regardless of what you read ....you will be impressed

I'm holding out on Quantum/Anthem until we see if RC gets everything new worked out.

I was on the Allure a few weeks ago and there were few lines for anything and plenty of show reservations available. The only one that had any line was the comedy show because it is a small venue. They do a great job on the big ships and there is so much to do. They have screens by the dining room that show the occupancy of the dining areas. I don't know what you mean by small dining venues, they were all pretty big. When they switch over to dynamic dining, you will have many more choices for dinner. I had no problem booking the day of for dining, both in the MDR and specialty restaurants. One reservation I had to choose a time 30 minutes later that I asked for but that was the only one. I also went to shows that I did not pre-book because I wanted to see them again. People tend to post more negatives than positives. Book the Allure or the Oasis and have fun.

But.

We cruised on Allure this past summer and there are crowds at expected times....parades on the Promenade -- expect them there....Embarkation lunch -- expect them -- we enjoy it then (crowd and all) because we love the feeling that our cruise IS HERE and NOW...also the paella, which is only served that first day for lunch. After that the crowds were NOT big wherever we went. Departing the ship in port can be a little crowded is you are leaving the ship when many other people are, especially for early morning excursions.....it just is what it is....but even that moves quickly.

I was never hurried from anywhere on the ship. We booked our show entertainment because we wanted it when we wanted it, and did not wan to take the chance of it being full. But others on the cruise said they just walked up and were fine. Do what you want....we like to have 'plans'.

But ENJOY your cruise, you will have a great time. We had dinner in the MDR and it was very good. We went to Izumi for dinner one night and it was wonderful.

We have sailed on Allure and have another cruise booked on her. We didn't have a problem with dinning or being asked to leave any venue to make room for others. We often wondered where the crowds were ! We only ate at windjammer once and it seemed smaller than other WJ's but till wasn't a problem . I would say to book a cruise on her and judge for yourself ! I don't think you will be disappointed !

We love Oasis! The elevators would be crowded in certain places at certain times, this would be my only complaint. We are in fairly decent shape and used the stairs most of the time ,so didn't really impact us. We have sailed Carnival once, Princess once, and 12 other RC cruises and Oasis is our favorite. The entertainment is awesome! Sailing Oasis again in Jan. You should def. try it.

But.

I went on the Allure in June/July, and I loved it so much, I'm going on the Oasis in February. The only truth to what you've been told is the fact that you need to make reservations for your entertainment. It's easy to do and shouldn't be a problem.

I've been on five other cruises, and nothing compared to the Allure. We didn't have to wait to eat, or to do other activities, and nobody rushed us along. The food was good and the crew was wonderful. The entertainment was top notch. Don't let a few negative comments steer you away from your dream cruise. I think you'll be very happy.

But.

We sailed on Oasis last month, transatlantic Lauderdale to Barcelona. It was our 1st, and had also read all the comments about the lines, etc. Frankly, we never even felt there were excessive or long lines in the Windjammer. We had been warned on this site to definitely stay away on embarkation day - but had to try it anyway. To our amazement, it was not at all crowded. Shortly after the Oasis, we sailed on Princess Caribbean, and could not believe the congestion in the Windjammer. I would have been disappointed if we had not learned from this board to book entertainment ahead of time. We were able to see every headliner, ever production, ice and aqua shows, comedy show, etc.

We never ever felt overwhelmed by the amount of people, lines, etc. The ship was not full, however; I think we were right at 5000. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed. Remember, don't let others set your expectations. However, I always try to keep mine in line so as to not expect the impossible. There will always be pluses and minuses with every line, every ship, but simply can't imagine turning down an opportunity to sail on the Oasis - especially since costs have been driven down so much and are basically more in line with other ships. Go for it. Report back.