Sim card for phone in NZ?

Hi all,

Im after some info on whats the best way to be able to use my phone in NZ? Not to interested in making calls or many texts, mainly to upload a few photos to facebook and instagram etc. while on the go.

Im from australia with an unlocked phone currently on the optus network.

Hi all,

Im after some info on whats the best way to be able to use my phone in NZ? Not to interested in making calls or many texts, mainly to upload a few photos to facebook and instagram etc. while on the go.

Been looking at the same thing myself.

Lots of "Googling"

Have a look at what Woolworths (yes good old Woolies) is offering. You buy here in Oz, (over web or in some stores); activate just before you leave and it will be ok for 30 days.

Also in NZ itself the local equivalent of Telstra has some good deals. You can pick up Sim at Airport

Also found out that they have free Wi Fi at a lot of the Public Telephone booths...mainly in the main cities... but a great idea.

cheers

Our last cruise we got some local NZ SIMs from mobipassport.com.au before we left Australia. Worked great and we were able to activate them before getting off the ship at the first port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are three major carriers in NZ

Spark ( was Telecom)

Vodafone

2 Degrees

There is a fourth Skinny but that is an off shoot of Spark.

All four carries have their own websites and all offer a range of prepaid call, txt and data services. All the companies offer slightly different plans so it is a little difficult to compare apples with apples but the oranges are pretty good as are the pears.

Suggest you use Uncle Google to check out their websites. Sim cards for all four companies are easily obtained in supermarkets, many garages , all electronic shops and the companies have their own shops in most major shopping malls.

I wouldn't think bandwidth would be an issue with modern phones. I have used my NZ phone in Aussie for years and it is compatible with all four NZ networks. I had an issue some years ago with a phone not able to take an Aussie Sim card but that was soon rectified by updating the software. The phone was originally destined for the Russian market. I have yet to hear of anyone since having issues crossing the ditch with phones.

I've been bouncing back and forward across the ditch for the last 17 years and, at least in the past 10 years (can't remember back past that), I've never had a problem using my Aussie phone in NZ.

I have global roaming but tend not to use my phone for phone calls unless absolutely necessary, mostly I use SMS. I always have data roaming turned off and connect to free WiFi when I want to use data.

Many tourists from outside of Australasia take time to come to grips that NZ and Australia are first world countries with up to date communications and cuisine on a par with the finest elsewhere in the world. Just because we are far from some markets and countries we are not hidden away in the sticks amongst the Hadfields and McCoys.

Hi all,

I've been looking at the same thing for a cruise next month. I've found the best deal (for me) and the best coverage network (check the coverage maps on the carriers website for the places you are going to) is Spark. They have a $29 pre-paid that includes 500mb data + NZcalls + NZtxt. You can add an international pack for extra $9 that gives 90mins talk + 90 txts to Australia. They also have 1000 phone booths that have free wifi and that plan also gives you 1GB per day of free wifi when you connect at those hotspots (50m range). There is a map on their website of where all the hotspots are and they also have an app with the wifi places in it.

Forgot to also say, Spark have a compatibility section on their website where you can enter your phone's IMEI number and it will tell you if your phone will work on their network. If you've got an iPhone you can find your IMEI number by going to settings, then general, then about, scroll down till you see it.

Many tourists from outside of Australasia take time to come to grips that NZ and Australia are first world countries with up to date communications and cuisine on a par with the finest elsewhere in the world. Just because we are far from some markets and countries we are not hidden away in the sticks amongst the Hadfields and McCoys.

So true.