20 yr olds in seperate room

Brinchi

We are taking my son and one of his friends with us on the Oasis next year. Both will be 20 years old. We will be staying in a balcony and have reserved an interior room down the hall for them.

Just received an email from our TA stating that they had to be over 21 to be in their own cabin.

How have you handled this? Does my husband or I need to be listed in their room but not staying in it?

Thanks

We are taking my son and one of his friends with us on the Oasis next year. Both will be 20 years old. We will be staying in a balcony and have reserved an interior room down the hall for them.

Just received an email from our TA stating that they had to be over 21 to be in their own cabin.

How have you handled this? Does my husband or I need to be listed in their room but not staying in it?

Thanks

Brinchi,

They can be in their own room as long it is next door, or a connecting room next door, or directly across the hall. Down the hall is out, even if one adult is in the room, it would be best not to tempt fate.

Actually their room is directly across from us and one door down. 10149 & 10146.

To be officially allowed without an older person in room, their cabin would have to be directly across or right next door from yours...not even across and down.

if you are able to get cabins straight across the hall, that would work. otherwise, book it with one young adult and one older adult in each room. either way you'll be responsible for these young men; presumably they will behave appropriately, eliminating any worries.

To be officially allowed without an older person in room, their cabin would have to be directly across or right next door from yours...not even across and down.

if you are able to get cabins straight across the hall, that would work. otherwise, book it with one young adult and one older adult in each room. either way you'll be responsible for these young men; presumably they will behave appropriately, eliminating any worries.

Not worried about these boys at all. Don't want to have to move cabins either, got a great rate through the onboard booking on an earlier cruise.

I don't know why your ta would tell you it can't be done because I've had Royal book it that way for me with no problems. If for some reason they really won't let you keep the reservation that way then just have them change it to you and a 20 year old in one room and the your husband and the other 20 year old in the other. When you get on the ship go to guest services to get keys to the other rooms. You can then sleep however you want!

Edited by readytolose

I don't know why your ta would tell you it can't be done because I've had Royal book it that way for me with no problems. If for some reason they really won't let you keep the reservation that way then just have them change it to you and a 20 year old in one room and the your husband and the other 20 year old in the other. When you get on the ship go to guest services to get keys to the other rooms. You can then sleep however you want!

Agree. We've done this many times (kids 15/17 now). We were able to even do an aft room (second from end) and an inside around the corner. We booked DH in the inside, DS with me and swapped cards once on board

I booked through a TA for two separate rooms and my girls are only 10 and 13. He even originally booked the two adults in one room and 2 in another. I only had him change it so since we had 1 adult in each room we could bring more wine. ;) We are in connecting rooms though.

Debbie

We usually select rooms that are directly across the hall from each other, this way we can book the "kids" into their own cabin.

Two suggestions: look (or have your TA look) to see if you can move into cabins that fit this criteria. There might be available cabins in the same category that you have already booked which are directly across the hall from each other.

Otherwise, just book one adult into each cabin, and switch once onboard. You get extra keys from each room from the customer service desk on the ship (not at check in). Then, the people who switched will have 2 Sea Passes, the extra key to enter the cabin in which they are sleeping, and the original one for purchases and to get on/off the ship.

Exactly, unless things have changed. We've done this 3 times. In fact, the first time it was an interior room with 2, 18 year old girls and our youngest daughter who turned 13 on that cruise. They were across the hall, down about 3 rooms. I booked directly with RC and was told as long as it was within the same zone we'd be fine.

The problem is that one of the "children" (I hate to use that word on a 20 year old) is not your son. IF both boys were your children, they could stay as they are. HOWEVER, if you are sailing with anyone under 21 who you are not the parent or legal guardian of, then someone over the age of 21 must be berthed in the same cabin.

Just move the passengers around so that your husband is in the interior cabin and you are in the balcony, then switch them back once you board. All good :)

The problem is that one of the "children" (I hate to use that word on a 20 year old) is not your son. IF both boys were your children, they could stay as they are. HOWEVER, if you are sailing with anyone under 21 who you are not the parent or legal guardian of, then someone over the age of 21 must be berthed in the same cabin.

Just move the passengers around so that your husband is in the interior cabin and you are in the balcony, then switch them back once you board. All good :)

This might be the rule, but hasn't been the truth in our experience. You can certainly book under 21 their own cabin as long as it's within a cabin or two (it's better if they are right next to each other or directly across). Our children are 23, 19 & 18 (every so often one of their friends) and they have had their own cabin for years. Our eldest hasn't even travelled with us since he turned 21. My TA's software does not like it, but I insist, and when they contact RCI I get the rooms the way I want them--no problem. Years ago, we booked with an adult in each room and then switched around on the ship, but it is not necessary.

Happy sailing. Kirsten :)

I am letting both of our sons stay in a separate cabin from my husband and I for the first time for our cruise next year. Right now my husband is booked with my oldest (will be 19 when we cruise) in the interior cabin. I am booked with my youngest son in a balcony (he will be 2 months away from 16 when we travel). I planned to switch the rooms once onboard. They are not right across the hall from us but their cousins that are in their 30's are right next door to them and their great aunt is right on the other side of them. So I am assuming all will be fine in terms of guest services letting us do that once we board. I hope so anyway.

This might be the rule, but hasn't been the truth in our experience. You can certainly book under 21 their own cabin as long as it's within a cabin or two (it's better if they are right next to each other or directly across). Our children are 23, 19 & 18 (every so often one of their friends) and they have had their own cabin for years. Our eldest hasn't even travelled with us since he turned 21. My TA's software does not like it, but I insist, and when they contact RCI I get the rooms the way I want them--no problem. Years ago, we booked with an adult in each room and then switched around on the ship, but it is not necessary.

Happy sailing. Kirsten :)

You are correct, the TA booking software will not allow you to book a cabin if the occupants are less than 21 years old, you MUST call RCCL and make the booking. I just booked my DH and I in a cabin and my 2 11-year old grandchildren in a connecting cabin and I had to call to get the booking done.

I find this rule bizarre! I was living by myself at 17 paying my bills cooking for myself. I would certainly have considered myself an adult by 18, I would have been a legal adult by 18. I was also travelling to foreign locals by 20. I would have been exceedingly annoyed if a TA/hotel told me I had to be accompanied by a 21 yo, as if I was a child!

Not quite. The rule actually is that there needs to be a 1:1 ratio of your children to "other children" in order to book them into their own room. And, the room has to be directly across the hall or right next door. You do not need someone to be over 21. (So you can have one child and one friend, or two children and two friends, but not 1 child with 2 friends in that cabin)

Edited by DonnaK

I am letting both of our sons stay in a separate cabin from my husband and I for the first time for our cruise next year. Right now my husband is booked with my oldest (will be 19 when we cruise) in the interior cabin. I am booked with my youngest son in a balcony (he will be 2 months away from 16 when we travel). I planned to switch the rooms once onboard. They are not right across the hall from us but their cousins that are in their 30's are right next door to them and their great aunt is right on the other side of them. So I am assuming all will be fine in terms of guest services letting us do that once we board. I hope so anyway.

They will just issue extra keys, they do not actually switch the people around. (They used to do an actual switch in the computer, but not anymore)

So, the people who switch will need to carry the original key (to the "wrong" room) for onboard charges and to get on/off the ship, and the extra key to open the door of the room in which they are sleeping.

Edited by DonnaK

Exactly, unless things have changed. We've done this 3 times. In fact, the first time it was an interior room with 2, 18 year old girls and our youngest daughter who turned 13 on that cruise. They were across the hall, down about 3 rooms. I booked directly with RC and was told as long as it was within the same zone we'd be fine.

Yes, things have changed from a few years ago. You used to be able to book your children into any cabin on the same floor and within the same fire zone (muster station) as yours. Now, they require that the room is directly across the hall, or right next door, unless someone is over 21 in that room. RCI is very strict on this - it cannot even be diagonally across the hall.

Edited by DonnaK

Yes, things have changed from a few years ago. You used to be able to book your children into any cabin on the same floor and within the same fire zone (muster station) as yours. Now, they require that the room is directly across the hall, or right next door, unless someone is over 21 in that room. RCI is very strict on this - it cannot even be diagonally across the hall.

Even though my kids were booked in the two rooms directly across the hall from ours they were still in a different muster station. Luckily nothing happened and we didn't need to evacuate because there is no way I would have let my kids go on a different lifeboat.

I booked through a TA for two separate rooms and my girls are only 10 and 13. He even originally booked the two adults in one room and 2 in another. I only had him change it so since we had 1 adult in each room we could bring more wine. ;) We are in connecting rooms though.

Debbie

You don't actually have to do that. We had our kids (9, 9, and 10) in a room that was connecting with ours (and booked that way-the kids in one room and hubby and I in another) and brought 4 bottles of wine on. It doesn't matter the age, our reservations are linked, so it's 2 bottles of wine per cabin, no matter the age.

We've done this on numerous cruises (all of them using a TA). If you have to list one adult in each cabin, you can get this changed at Guest Relations as soon as you board. We're booked for another cruise in June 2015 with my Grandson and a friend in a cabin down the hall from us.