Celebrity 1/2 day Ha Long bay cruise

surrey cruiser

Hi does anyone have experience of this?

We are in HaLong bay on 13th November & considering the Celebrity tour as we sail at 13.00 & have a full on day in Hanoi the day before.

Do you definitely get to see the Karsts? Is it very crowded? etc etc

We always go on private tours but when I posted for a private 1/2 day cruise there was very little interest due to it costing more than ships tour.

Any information gratefully received

Regards

Kevin

I have been to Halong Bay but not with any cruise line. You will see the karsts from your ship when sailing in and out to moor at the bay.

On an excursion, you'll be on a smaller boat so you can have a closer look. In a half day tour I believe you have time to go ashore on one or two islands and enter the cave there. There are steps and lighting so it is quite safe, and beautiful.

Celebrity will have a better description of what is included in your excursion.

Edited by anandaindonesia

I have done this twice on a ships tour (different cruise line) and a private tour.

See if you can get others in your roll call interested. You will have the same size Junk Boat with far fewer people on it and you will get the change to go into a cave which is amazing.

Keith

Hi does anyone have experience of this?

We are in HaLong bay on 13th November & considering the Celebrity tour as we sail at 13.00 & have a full on day in Hanoi the day before.

Do you definitely get to see the Karsts? Is it very crowded? etc etc

We always go on private tours but when I posted for a private 1/2 day cruise there was very little interest due to it costing more than ships tour.

Any information gratefully received

Regards

Kevin

Hey Kevin,

I've been on the junk in HaLong bay and is never crowed. The best way to see Halong bay is to book one of the half day or full day junk with http://sinhcafe.com/Halong/Halong%20tour.htm. We used a lot of their tours throughout Vietnam and the prices are reasonable. The Halong bay tour shouldn't cost more than $ 25 per person if you have a group of 6 and that's a lot cheaper than the ship's tours. I think you can book the tour at the pier and lunch is also provided on the junk. You do need to get there early in the morning like 9 AM and get a full day tour concluded by 3 PM. Our tour took us to the cave, a school on a boat, yep, kids are going to school on a boat in the middle of the bay, also a fish market on the boat. Our captain anchored in the middle of the bay and we just jump from the junk into the bay for a quick swim and the water was a cool 68 degrees. keep in mind the bay is very deep so make sure you know how to swim before diving in. They do serve you a good lunch with fresh made egg rolls etc...and the view is priceless. It'd be helpful if you get the Google Vietnamese translation before you go.

Edited by cruise_alot123

I would really recommend what we did - hire a boat to yourself. It can with a driver, cook and guide [three different people] and really was not that expensive for a whole day including food. We had the run of the boat and had an absolutely wonderful day. Some of the tour group boat were really full and you would not be able to have everyone on deck or in the cabin which may mean that you cannot sit where you would like to. I also think that the bathroom facilities would have been really limited for a full boat.

I have done this twice on a ships tour (different cruise line) and a private tour.

See if you can get others in your roll call interested. You will have the same size Junk Boat with far fewer people on it and you will get the change to go into a cave which is amazing.

Keith

Thanks Keith - I posted it on our roll call for several weeks & very little interest.

Just another couple who have now booked the Celebrity 1/2 day cruise, thus my question before I book the ships tour to see if anyone one had experience of this particular Celebrity excursion

Regards

Kevin

I would really recommend what we did - hire a boat to yourself. It can with a driver, cook and guide [three different people] and really was not that expensive for a whole day including food. We had the run of the boat and had an absolutely wonderful day. Some of the tour group boat were really full and you would not be able to have everyone on deck or in the cabin which may mean that you cannot sit where you would like to. I also think that the bathroom facilities would have been really limited for a full boat.

Thanks Sue - we are only in the bay for 1 1/2 days & have a full day in Hanoi on day one - so just 1/2 day left for cruise.

I got a cost from Smile tours for $80USD pp for 4-7 people & $70 USD for 8 & up

Posted for several weeks on CC but only one couple interested & they have now signed up for ships cruise thus my question to see if anybody had experience of Celebrity cruise?

Regards

Kevin

Thanks Sue - we are only in the bay for 1 1/2 days & have a full day in Hanoi on day one - so just 1/2 day left for cruise.

I got a cost from Smile tours for $80USD pp for 4-7 people & $70 USD for 8 & up

Posted for several weeks on CC but only one couple interested & they have now signed up for ships cruise thus my question to see if anybody had experience of Celebrity cruise?

Regards

Kevin

Interesting that Celebrity's cost is only $62.00 for their bay tour during our port visit in February.

Edited by boogs

We did the Celebrity 1/2 day Ha Long bay cruise in March and loved it. You certainly get to see many karsts, plus a very interesting floating village, and make a stop to a cave which you walk through. Beautiful colours throughout. I didn't find the junk boar crowded at all. Was well worth the cost. We got some great photos. Would recommend it.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app