Which ships have modern buffets?

jasbo49

The Horizon Court area on the Royal/Regal is huge with probably too many choices but we ate most of our meals there which is unusual for us. For breakfast we would go to the omelette station to place our order and then get the rest of our food. When we sat down we gave out ticket to the waiter and our fresh omelette was brought right to us.

I believe that the HC on the Grand, Sapphire and Star have been revised to move the dessert area outside of the main area to reduce congestion. It seemed better on the Sapphire and the Grand.

The HC was also revised on the Coral but we have not been on her since that change so can't comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

I am truly surprised that no one has mentioned the Café Caribe buffet on Ruby/Emerald/Caribbean/Crown Princess ships. It avoids all the traditional buffet problems by its layout, has unidirectional traffic but also has room for backflow to get that item you passed on first viewing, and IMO has superior selections of food, including multiple carving stations and dessert cut and served to you. This is also where many senior crew and entertainers eat.

Those same ships have Horizon Court as a buffet and on the last several years they have limited ingress to one gate and egress to the other. It is still subject to some traffic jams, especially when multiple passengers are waiting for their custom omelet. All in all I find the flow to be acceptable, especially for our habit of surveying all the offerings before getting in line to acquire our preferred selections.

I just got off the Golden last week. They were allowing pax to enter either end and the middle was used as an exit. The two lines would converge at the middle of the buffet line. I agree that it is a poor way to layout the buffet. The two newest ships, royal and regal, have a more open station oriented approach which is a welcome change. I sailed on the CCL Magic, one of their newest ships, and it too had the open station type layout which was great. No lines snaking through the buffet area. Pax would just go to the station that interested them. The open space between the buffet serving areas was nice also as one could skip around at will without causing a major traffic jam. I understand that some of the ships have been retrofitted with a more accessible buffet area when in dry dock. My next cruise is on the star and I understand it has been modified so I will find out.

I just got off the Golden last week. They were allowing pax to enter either end and the middle was used as an exit. The two lines would converge at the middle of the buffet line. I agree that it is a poor way to layout the buffet. The two newest ships, royal and regal, have a more open station oriented approach which is a welcome change. I sailed on the CCL Magic, one of their newest ships, and it too had the open station type layout which was great. No lines snaking through the buffet area. Pax would just go to the station that interested them. The open space between the buffet serving areas was nice also as one could skip around at will without causing a major traffic jam. I understand that some of the ships have been retrofitted with a more accessible buffet area when in dry dock. My next cruise is on the star and I understand it has been modified so I will find out.

I agree with the enter from either end approach. It's always struck me as silly that most buffet entrances on Princess ships are on the side OPPOSITE the elevator lobby, which in my view is where more of the passengers are coming from. One problem at the buffet comes from mixing traffic--the plateless looking to get in, the plated looking to get to a table, and the crew zooming at high speed through the mix, and this cuts down on that.

They were allowing pax to enter either end and the middle was used as an exit. The two lines would converge at the middle of the buffet line. I agree that it is a poor way to layout the buffet. I sailed on the CCL Magic, one of their newest ships, and it too had the open station type layout which was great. No lines snaking through the buffet area.

I think you are hitting the key point of the problem. The HC layout is an open station layout that many perceive as a line. Evidence of this is the availability of plates at multiple locations. Many times I have seen a long line on one end just to get in, and completely open on the other. The buffet area was basically open but the line developed because everyone was blocked due to those picking through the bacon. You can walk around the line, get a plate elsewhere, get your fruit, cereal, eggs and go back for bacon when no one is there or get in line with the few people that are actually waiting for bacon. I do think you need to honor those waiting if in fact they are waiting for the same item or area. That is generaly not the case. Lines develop because many believe the etiquette is to travel in one single line throughout the entire area. The layout is confusing with a mixture of islands and a linear buffet. Treat each area as an island and it is usually Ok. If it gets too crowded inside, the attendant should hold back people at the entrance until people leave, then the line waiting to enter makes sense. Once in, you are free to move where ever you choose.

I think you are hitting the key point of the problem. The HC layout is an open station layout that many perceive as a line. Evidence of this is the availability of plates at multiple locations. Many times I have seen a long line on one end just to get in, and completely open on the other. The buffet area was basically open but the line developed because everyone was blocked due to those picking through the bacon. You can walk around the line, get a plate elsewhere, get your fruit, cereal, eggs and go back for bacon when no one is there or get in line with the few people that are actually waiting for bacon. I do think you need to honor those waiting if in fact they are waiting for the same item or area. That is generaly not the case. Lines develop because many believe the etiquette is to travel in one single line throughout the entire area. The layout is confusing with a mixture of islands and a linear buffet. Treat each area as an island and it is usually Ok. If it gets too crowded inside, the attendant should hold back people at the entrance until people leave, then the line waiting to enter makes sense. Once in, you are free to move where ever you choose.

Hmm, then either it's changed since 2012 or else the two times that I've been on the Golden (2010/11 and 2012/13), the passengers there at the same time as me treated it more that you don't have to stand in one line, but just in whatever line there is (if any) for the food you want. Usually the only line was for the entrees and sides...and often any holdup was for those who took their time deciding what they wanted, or were picking through for the "bacon" they desired. My source of impatience (other than those two actions) were if the food I wanted was in the third bin and I had to wait for those in front of me to move pass that.

Since I'm not one of those who feel the need to take one of everything, I tend to jump around (I do try not to push anyone out of the way to get to something I want or jump ahead of someone if there's just one step or two to get to the item I want). So as long as there's a decent empty space...I'll get to the roll or dessert I want while not expeding anyone.

Since I'm not one of those who feel the need to take one of everything' date=' I tend to jump around (I do try not to push anyone out of the way to get to something I want or jump ahead of someone if there's just one step or two to get to the item I want). So as long as there's a decent empty space...I'll get to the roll or dessert I want while not expeding anyone.[/quote']

I do the exact same thing, as do most people. I may not have articulated well, but that is how the HC is intended. Those that complain about the layout are probably not aware that they can move around and they do not need to stay in the line around the buffet. I do see people do this as single file was the norm historically for cafeterias and buffets for a long time. That is what usually backs up the line outside just to get past the sanitation station.

Sail Celebrity Solstice - class ships--wonderfully organized buffet area AND great food too.

I have been on Island, Golden, and Emerald Princess and the buffet area is only so-so on all 3 along with most of the food.

Having been on this class of ship, they have their own set of problems which are different from Princess. I won't go into detail since this is a Princess board but all cruise ship buffets present their own set of obstacles to address.

As a big fan of buffets, I cannot wait to try Royal Princess. 6 weeks and counting.....

I don't think when the Golden and her sister ships were built they were designed with a line concept. We rarely go to the Horizon Court but avoid it entirely for the first couple of days just because "new to these ships" people expect lines and feel those of us that by-pass lines and go directly to the selections we want are being rude. After a couple of days the majority treat each area, yes it is very crowded and chaotic , like a station and you don't have those problems...

I agree and have noticed the same. I think the problem is that the stations are so close together on the Golden that people assume it is a line-type buffet at first.

Edited by Ryndam2002

I agree and have noticed the same. I think the problem is that the stations are so close together on the Golden that people assume it is a line-type buffet at first.

I agree that the area is so small that people don't realize there are stations at first. Some people get upset. I mostly eat salads in the buffet and have gotten some dirty looks when I bypass the line to go to the salad station.

On the ships that have been recently updated to have the breads (breakfast) and desserts (lunch and dinner) moved outside the main buffet area, the aisles between the stations are wider which makes for less congestion. Also, in many cases each side of an island station will have the same food selection so that people can approach it from either direction.

The dirtiest looks (or worse) I've gotten from groups of passengers, who think I'm breaking the line if I wind up in their midst at one station or another. Agree the dessert/breads outside the gated area works very well.

The HC layout is an open station layout that many perceive as a line.

It make me laugh when I see people line up 20 deep at the salad bar just to take 1 item. If everyone did this no one would even make it through the buffet.

You don't necessarly have to push people out of the way but just find what you want & wait till there's a space, jump in and more to the next open location. :cool:

The ones who look at something & can't decide are the ones who get my goat. :rolleyes: